The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Default What healthy snack foods do you eat?

I nibble during the day and really don't sit down for lunch or breakfast. That goes in and out of style in medicine, so lets just talk about what we all eat as snack foods that are interesting and unique. I have 5 to start with.

1. Cashew Butter; this is high in all kinds of great minerals and 2 tablespoons will keep you going for a while. I have it with no bread, just the butter, with some cherry jam. Expensive, but peanut butter is not for me really except below!

2. Goat Milk Yoghurt: I know its odd, but I like the goat gamy flavor in goat milk yoghurt and it has a ton of advantages that cow's milk might not...its an old naturopathic substitute for regular stuff. I like it plain. I like my food, some of it to taste...real.

3. Cheddar Cheese with MacIntosh apples,,, the cheese gives you solid protein for blood sugar control and the high fiber and low sweetness of the Mac apple contrasts with the cheese and gives a decent carb load.

4. Cheddar Cheese/Peanut Butter Sandwich, with or without honey. I know it sounds absurd, but cheddar and peanut butter go together ridiculously well. They cancel out each other's bad parts and harmonize.

5. Here is a snack tip from a model..they have tons of cool ideas to keep thin but eat a lot. Cut up some raw veggies, then mix together low fat sour cream with Sriracha hot sauce and dip them. You can eat all day and its just fiber and water. But so tasty with the cool sour cream taming the edge from the Sriracha.

What do you snack on? Organic pepperoni sticks? Mmm I could go on but its your turn.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Nothing special here really, love anything ending in "nuts" I always keep a can of almonds, peanuts, etc... in my desk. On the flip side as you, Cheddar (Cougar Gold) and apples are so good, Celery and peanut butter,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Mostly fruit and popcorn.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM

I'll admit I'm a junk food junkie. But I really like plains raw carrots and celery.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM

Figs, dates apples and nuts
Old 02-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Does bacon count?

On a more serious note, an F# I believe, my primary snack and is a big jar of Archer Farms Cashew, Almond & Cranberry trail mix. I keep one at home and one at work. I’ve also gone mostly dairy free using almond or coconut based fake cheese products when I can. Cuts down on inflammation and helps reduce my ongoing cough.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Nuts. Any and all kinds. I also like dried fruits. And then, of course, there's pizza.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 PM

Is guacamole health food? How about salsa? Honey roasted cashews? Blue Bell ice cream? That's funny, I told myself they were health foods.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Default What healthy snack foods do you eat?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Brown Rice Cakes.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I like Baby Ruth bars. Toss one in a crowded pool in the summer and watch the fun.

Not too much into snacking, but for some reason as another poster mentioned, apples and cheese go together really well any time.

With regard to candy bars, I don't like stuff that sticks to my teeth, so that rules out most of that kind of stuff anyway.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I've never really been into junk food, but since my cancer treatment deprived me of taste buds and sliva, I eat mainly, just to stop the hunger pangs.

Mornings are a glass of orange juice, then a breakfast cereal (un sugared) with greek yoghurt, milk and honey. and if ripe enough a banana and of course a couple of mugs of tea.

Lunch (which I rarely used to have) is a toasted sandwich with a soft cheese and marmite or beetroot, soaked in vinegar (to soften the wholemeal bread - one or two slices.

We generally have dinner at about 7, when I eat mainly poached plaice with root vegetables with butter and (I'll admit) salt, that I never used to use.

We have meat once or twice a week: a sausage, or some lamb mince in a stir fry, and, I always seem to get hungry at about ten and I'll have a sweet lemon fool or some such .. terrible processed stuff, but it lubricates my mouth, along with another cup of tea.

I drink fruit juices and tea plus about two/three litres of water a day.

I've tried bacon sandwiches and such but can't really chew it well now.

Occasionally, like today, when Jane is out dancing, I'll make a faux roast with a half pound fillet steak and roast root veg and red wine gravy. I have a glass or two of wine but alcohol seems to give me headaches now.

I used to live for food, now I just eat to live. Sometimes I can taste stuff but mostly not.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:33 PM

my favorite snack is hummus and raw carrot spears.
I make the hummus using dried chana dal from the Indian market. Chana is split desi chickpeas, a smaller variety of chickpea. Being split, they're skinless, so the resulting hummus is very smooth. I flavor it with tahini (ground sesame seeds) fresh lemon juice, fresh ground cumin seeds, salt and roasted garlic. I'll drizzle some evoo on it before serving.
Doesn't get much healthier than that.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 02-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Carrots, nuts, apples, bananas, chips & salsa, and those flavored fig bars.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post

What do you snack on? Organic pepperoni sticks? Mmm I could go on but its your turn.
unsalted roasted almonds, walnuts,pistachios......seeing the pattern? Also any seasonal fruits off my trees...love them figs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic