The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Default A shout out to Chicago Music Exchange

Recently I bought a used Gibson J-45 Mahogany from Chicago Music Exchange off Reverb. Its a great guitar, but it had a few issues - namely a fret issue where the frets were too aggressively beveled at the factory, leading me to roll the high E off the side of the neck. I posted about it a few weeks back on this forum.

I love the tone of the guitar - a little darker than a Standard. I took it to Russo's, who told me it should be refret, with a new nut too, and got a pricey estimate. I decided to proceed. This was before Christmas. Russo's also showed me that there must have been a problem with the bridge lifting, and whoever sold it to me probably re-glued it.

I also wrote an email to CME, letting them know that the guitar needed work, and although I bought it used, it was a bummer... Without blinking, CME came back to me and told me they would credit $400 to my card. I was shocked. I have never had a retailer behave in such an eager to please way.

After almost four weeks, I had second thoughts about the refret and drove down to Russo's and picked up the guitar. They hadnt started work yet, and I was starting to hear stories about too many people whose refrets came out pretty poor (not at Russo's).

I then took it to a Guitar Repair Services in Scotch Plains NJ, and this repair guy said he thought he could fix it with just a new nut. I picked it up yesterday. Its great. The string spacing is pretty much a little narrower than a Gibson, more close to a 1 11/16 Martin.

I also emailed CME and told them the amount they credited me was too much, as I wasnt going the refret route, and asked them to charge me back the excess over the repair. They refused.

So bottom line I have a guitar whose tone I like, all Gibson, dark, at a great cost, with a good feeling about the repair place I used, and the behavior of CME.

CME is a pretty darn good retailer. I know they are a forum sponsor here, and just want to say that no one should have any reservations with dealing with them - all pro - all musician friendly.

Cheers CME

Before:

After:

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM

Sal. Glad it worked out for you. Good karma all around. And CME went above and beyond even after you told them the credit was too much. Good for you for being honest.

True customer service is the retailer’s ability to deal with not so routine situations like this one. Not just when trying to sell.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM

Fantastic all the way around!

I have never done business with CME. But will not hesitate to consider them in the future.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Great story. I too have had great customer service from CME.

And I agree with the above that it’s when issues arise that a company’s true colors come to light.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

That’s great news, Sal. I’ve always heard good things about CME, and your story shows that the customer service is stellar.

I’m glad the 45 Mahogany is now a joy to play.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
...CME is a pretty darn good retailer....
I second (third? fourth?) the sentiment. i got a great deal from CME on my Gibson Songwriter 12 - practically a grand off the price of a new one, and it's like new. And they followed up to make sure everything was peachy. Darn good retailer, indeed, for under retail!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-31-2019, 08:11 AM

wow - great story. thanks for sharing. I will be visiting CME soon.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 AM

I've visited CME a couple of times and will most likely be there for a visit in 2 weeks. What a fantastic place just to walk around and look at the guitars and amps.

themissal - thanks for sharing your story ... and enjoy the Gibson!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM

Always have had great experiences with CME...But, as far as the rest of the story, I can't imagine any repair tech suggesting an expensive refret without first only replacing the nut...a very inexpensive repair, and one that would have to be done anyway???
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. Anyways I dont want to focus on the possible negative of one player - but instead am happy to focus on the good dudes/acts.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM

I bought a used D-18GE from CME last year and contacted them about other guitars. Fantastic retailer.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:17 AM

Wow, good on CME for doing that! I have noticed that issue with a lot of Gibsons. I think it has a lot to do with how the fret ends are beveled, as you mentioned, but also with the short scale length because of the string tension, and the 12" radius. A nasty combo for those of us who like our high e ON the fretboard.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 AM

I recently purchased a high end guitar from them on Reverb and they were great to deal with and the guitar was as advertised. I would certainly use them again.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Always been a Big fan of CME,
any musician in or near the city should
plan a 2 hour visit and talk to members
Of the staff, parking is a *****,
but it is time we’ll spent.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I bought a Santa Cruz from them, and it was an outstanding transaction.

Great folks there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion