The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Star Trek Discovery

I'm into about episode 6 or 7, I think. So far pretty good. Anyone else?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Waiting on season 2. Though season 1 had some closure the last episode left a lot of questions unanswered, in a good way. I look forward to seeing how they eventually connect the dots in regards to the Enterprise, both classic and the next generation.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 PM

I enjoyed it, and as Mbroady said, I'm also looking forward to the new season early next year.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 08-30-2018, 06:45 AM

I've watched the first episode and clips from across the season on YouTube but I still refuse to lay down money for it. To me it's a mockery of the original with more style over substance and quite frankly the same sloppy type of writing that became the norm with Lost. I expect more from Star Trek.

I was a big Trekkie from my time as a rugrat watching syndicated episodes in the 1970s. Back then we clung to its idealism because the bomb could be dropped any moment. It was the fans who brought it back in 1979 and for a time it snowballed until it became a cash cow. Now the carrion have descended to pick rotting meat from the corpse.

Yes, I said it: Star Trek is dead to me. What's replaced it akin to the pseudo story of a pale imitations with ambiguous morality that entered the scene after the death of Superman.

Those days are clearly over and Trek struggles to find its identity in a society where instant gratification and entitlement now reign supreme from generations that only know avarice. Yes, there is still social commentary in much of pop fiction but it's delivery has changed to the point of brow beating. It has become particularly unenjoyable to me when moral ambiguity makes me feel disconnected from the "heroes" and I sometimes find myself rooting for the "villains" despite them clearly having values that are just as messed up.

That CBS expects me to pay for what is essentially a soap opera in space - that mirrors what essentially killed the Stargate franchise - is ludicrous. I realize that there are still "free" trials of CBS All Access but they still require credit card information for the subscription to seamlessly transition to a paid status after the trial is over. No thank you. I pay enough for my current cable package. I won't pay any more for just one show and reruns of previously broadcast content that should be free.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:04 AM

I watched the first (free) episode and wasn't impressed. I'm certainly not going to pay to watch more episodes. I pay $120 a month to not watch a lot of crap already (my wife insists!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 AM

Hey Barry, I finished Season 1 last week. I watched all episodes on the plane's entertainment system over the past couple of months. I like the show but I don't find it that great. I find the main character (the woman) is just a little too polished and perfect.

Over the past few months I've rewatched all of Star Trek Enterprise and I'm on the very last episode. I really enjoyed that show.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
essentially a soap opera in space
I concur. I made it to about episode 10, I think, and all I really remember besides broad plot points is a lot of heavy smoldering gazes. Felt like I was being strong-armed into sympathizing with characters I didn't care about at all.

On the other hand, re: liking the villains, I think that's quite deliberate. Probably there's a pretty good message to be read between the lines, if my eyes didn't glaze over quite so quickly at our heroes' Deep Emotions... lazy tropes being inverted, stereotypes being addressed from a relatively uncommon angle, etc--but it feels like it was planned by a committee. I have a comparable reaction to The Orville, which I stopped watching at around the same time. Meanwhile, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency gets canceled. Sigh.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud View Post
Meanwhile, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency gets canceled. Sigh.
Ah darn. Just finished season 2 and was starting to think it might have been my favorite show in quite some time. Oh well.

I’ve watched every episode of every Star Trek series. Deep Space Nine’s the best. Yep, I said it. However, I’m not paying $10/month just for Discovery and whatever the new Trek series is or for Picard Rd. 2. Ok, it’s going to be hard to hold out, but only so much of my entertainment dollar to go round.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud View Post
I concur. I made it to about episode 10, I think, and all I really remember besides broad plot points is a lot of heavy smoldering gazes. Felt like I was being strong-armed into sympathizing with characters I didn't care about at all.

On the other hand, re: liking the villains, I think that's quite deliberate. Probably there's a pretty good message to be read between the lines, if my eyes didn't glaze over quite so quickly at our heroes' Deep Emotions... lazy tropes being inverted, stereotypes being addressed from a relatively uncommon angle, etc--but it feels like it was planned by a committee. I have a comparable reaction to The Orville, which I stopped watching at around the same time. Meanwhile, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency gets canceled. Sigh.
I actually liked the Orville early on but agree; social commentary in this day and age comes across more like some sort of indoctrination. In a way the original series did the same thing but at least The Orville doesn't take itself so seriously - though at times it should as some of the humor is forced at inappropriate times.

As for "Disco Trek" - and I can't believe I'm saying this - I'm actually looking forward to a future (although unlikely) installment of JJ Abrams interpretation of the lore.

*sigh* I miss the days when fan fiction was allowed. A lot of the stuff put on YouTube by fans was actually better.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

We'll see how it goes. A lot of sci fi shows turn out to be nothing more than soap operas in space with some special effects thrown in.... Then again, what else could they do?

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 AM

A little over a year ago we cut the cable after we realized we only really watched CBS shows so we bought a Roku stick-thingy and pay for the CBS app so I had the opportunity to get all excited about the new Star Trek series...

Then I started watching.

The first couple episodes were pretty good but then the re-hash of the "other" universe theme started (the one that almost every other Trek series hashed through) and I was done.

I understand they can write what they want, but I can also stop watching if I want. So I did.

I've seen the trailer for the next season so I'll give it a try but I'm not holding up too much hope. I just don't have any empathy for any of the characters or what they're going through so it's not a high priority for me.

But that's just me.

Best,
PJ
Old 08-30-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I've watched the first episode and clips from across the season on YouTube but I still refuse to lay down money for it. To me it's a mockery of the original with more style over substance and quite frankly the same sloppy type of writing that became the norm with Lost. I expect more from Star Trek.

I was a big Trekkie from my time as a rugrat watching syndicated episodes in the 1970s. Back then we clung to its idealism because the bomb could be dropped any moment. It was the fans who brought it back in 1979 and for a time it snowballed until it became a cash cow. Now the carrion have descended to pick rotting meat from the corpse.

Yes, I said it: Star Trek is dead to me. What's replaced it akin to the pseudo story of a pale imitations with ambiguous morality that entered the scene after the death of Superman.

Those days are clearly over and Trek struggles to find its identity in a society where instant gratification and entitlement now reign supreme from generations that only know avarice. Yes, there is still social commentary in much of pop fiction but it's delivery has changed to the point of brow beating. It has become particularly unenjoyable to me when moral ambiguity makes me feel disconnected from the "heroes" and I sometimes find myself rooting for the "villains" despite them clearly having values that are just as messed up.

That CBS expects me to pay for what is essentially a soap opera in space - that mirrors what essentially killed the Stargate franchise - is ludicrous. I realize that there are still "free" trials of CBS All Access but they still require credit card information for the subscription to seamlessly transition to a paid status after the trial is over. No thank you. I pay enough for my current cable package. I won't pay any more for just one show and reruns of previously broadcast content that should be free.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. Watched the first one, it was not good, and I'm a trekie fan.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:42 PM

The Pilot was good, then followed a nine episode trainwreck. Johnathan Frakes directs episode 10 and suddenly the series turns good.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 08-30-2018, 05:53 PM

I enjoyed the first season and I’m a huge Trekkie. I have to say this is a very divisive series among the fans. I’m one of the fans that really liked it though I do have some issues. From what I hear there are going to be some changes that will make fans happy.

I also watched The Orville and many that hate Star Trek Discovery find that The Orville meets their Trekkie needs. I like Sath McFarland’s work and I enjoyed The Orville but for some reason it’s not a show I like to rewatch like I do with Star Trek.

Last edited by Andromeda; 08-31-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I've never watched "Enterprise" believe it or not.

I hated Deep Space 9 for some reason. I think the Ferengi ruined it for me, I couldn't stand them. Then again it took me a while before I warmed up to Next Gen. I found the first officer guilty of overacting somewhat, but he got better over time.

Guilty of being spoiled by the original.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic