The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
Hmm, maybe I am missing it but I don't see the word "solid" in the current djr product description
Interesting. They only mention "solid Sitka spruce top" on the older version, though, when I think back and sides were also solid sapele.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Are these still made in Mexico?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Nothing wrong with having 5 of the same guitar. Maybe the gentleman is expecting quintuplets.
But seriously, I heard a music therapist play a Martin Junior at a memory care unit that I go to. It made beautiful music and soothed the nerves of everyone there. I'm confident that Martin isn't blowing it. I wouldn't second guess a home run champion on what bat he's pulling out of the dugout.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
'Collectible'? I think you're being over-optimistic; sure it's a fine little entry level guitar, but it isn't exactly a high-end rare model that future collectors will be fighting over. But who knows, I could be the wrongest person in the history of wrongness and these could be the best investment you ever made. But I doubt it.
If they stop making them, they could be collectable. I think they sound awesome and are a pleasure to play.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Call me cray but isn't the depth between the original D Jr. and the DJr10 somewhat negligible? The original has a 4 3/8 depth while the new one is 4 1/8. That is a 1/4" difference, and when you subtract the thickness of the top it is less than that- maybe an 1/8".

Having said that, I love my original D Jr2 bought back on Thanksgiving of 2016. It is currently getting some cool mods done. Great guitar for the $$$, I would even say easily one of the best in the price range I've ever played and I've played them all. For those wondering, the new DJr10 are also all solid- check out this video at the 7:36 mark

Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

Having said that, I love my original D Jr2 bought back on Thanksgiving of 2016. It is currently getting some cool mods done.
What mods are you getting done?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Call me cray but isn't the depth between the original D Jr. and the DJr10 somewhat negligible? The original has a 4 3/8 depth while the new one is 4 1/8. That is a 1/4" difference, and when you subtract the thickness of the top it is less than that- maybe an 1/8".

Having said that, I love my original D Jr2 bought back on Thanksgiving of 2016. It is currently getting some cool mods done. Great guitar for the $$$, I would even say easily one of the best in the price range I've ever played and I've played them all. For those wondering, the new DJr10 are also all solid- check out this video at the 7:36 mark

They both have tops, the internal volume is still 1/4 " difference, which does make a difference.
Another thing, is that in the martin descriptions, they may have different bracing. this may also make a difference in the sound.
Like I said earlier, I played both yesterday, and they do have a different sound.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil40272 View Post
They both have tops, the internal volume is still 1/4 " difference, which does make a difference.

Another thing, is that in the martin descriptions, they may have different bracing. this may also make a difference in the sound.

Like I said earlier, I played both yesterday, and they do have a different sound.

Did you prefer the old or the new Dr Jr. ?
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
What mods are you getting done?
Mods already done:

*JP ebony Slimline
*MacNichol bone saddle
*ebony tuner buttons (look better IMO and bring down the neck weight)
*JJB Prestige 330 (an upgrade over the stock Fishman IMO, and mine was
bought without electronics to begin with)

Mods underway:

*refinishing the top in gloss (there are threads on AGF with pics of those already done and it looks great)
*dropping abalone dots in place of the cheap plastic white dots

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil40272 View Post
I just think it is slightly more negligible than it is being discussed here (and that would be particularly true with the "E" versions, or when you plug the guitars in). To this I would add that Martin is not likely to make changes so detrimental of the original that it would hurt the sale of the D Jr.'s overall, and I would think that this would be especially true with regards to the DJr10's unplugged tone. YMMV
Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Mods already done:

*JP ebony Slimline
*MacNichol bone saddle
*ebony tuner buttons (look better IMO and bring down the neck weight)
*JJB Prestige 330 (an upgrade over the stock Fishman IMO, and mine was
bought without electronics to begin with)

Mods underway:

*refinishing the top in gloss (there are threads on AGF with pics of those already done and it looks great)
*dropping abalone dots in place of the cheap plastic white dots

I just think it is slightly more negligible than it is being discussed here (and that would be particularly true with the "E" versions, or when you plug the guitars in). To this I would add that Martin is not likely to make changes so detrimental of the original that it would hurt the sale of the D Jr.'s overall, and I would think that this would be especially true with regards to the DJr10's unplugged tone. YMMV
The new 2019 model is and will be a great success pulling more people into the Martin family. The small guitar market is hot. The Martin dreads that I prefer we’re just not small enough. Martin has a long history of winning with the public
Knowing the buying market. Let me just end this post with 1833.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion