The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 PM

We had a minor one recently here in CT... My neighbors tree branches got heavy from the ice & leaned over and laid on the power lines on the street. Caught fire, exploded and we lost power for several days.

Fortunately, it was frigid cold outside, so we put a lot of the frozen & perishable foods into coolers and moved them outdoors until power was restored.

For the rest of the storm, we jumped every time there was a big thump from another tree branch falling somewhere. We go looking out the window to see which tree it came from and if it hit the house or not.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I am just north of you and we are to get the same weather. I am already getting cancellation notices. It is predicted to be pretty wicked, the roads to be awful, dangerous.

I am not looking forward to my morning commute!

Yeah, getting to work tomorrow is going to be an adventure, it seems. I hate adventures

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM

as said- dont drive- you cant drive on ice no matter what you have
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-05-2019, 04:40 PM

I'm in Chicago for business and waiting for the ice to start falling. I've been in these before and an ice storm can be much more damaging than a blizzard. Power lines can come tumbling down from all that extra weight on the wires and can take days/weeks to bring everyone back online.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:45 PM

I have gas appliances for these times. It doesn't take much power to run furnace fan/pump, some lights, fridge, TV and do the ignition for the stove. The generator will run the well pump too on 110V/or 208V single phase. Make sure the generator has plenty of ventilation and NOWHERE NEAR where exhaust/fumes can get near the humans or pets. Four 5 gal. cans will last about a week with juditious rationing.

Fog
Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Midwestern states deal with these a lot. Ice snaps power poles, leaving lines in the road. It shears enormous limbs off of the largest of trees, again bringing down power lines. The debris piles left are enormous. Think tornado, yet everywhere instead of just a path. Restoration of power can be weeks in some neighborhoods. There are runs on generators, fuel oil and grocers just preceding some announced storms, and yet some storms catch us sleeping. I keep my tractor on standby to clear my street. I'd have thought Chicago would have a lake effect ice thing going on.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Good luck to you. I hope it’s not a long winded ice storm like we had here in 98. Roads blocked, power out for 2 weeks+ in places, ice everywhere and on everything. What a mess! I now have a 1000 litre propane tank, an automatic 13KW generator and lots of food, fire wood and other supplies. We often lose power for several days back in the boonies where I live and it does not affect us much at all as we are well prepared now. Again, good luck!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 AM

An inch+ of mini ice pellets got rained on to make everything covered with an inch of white concrete. I'm glad I'm not driving (yet) and that sure helped the Apple Watch register 1/2 day of activity before 7 AM.

These are reminder times for being happy I don't have to drive so much anymore, and being glad we're not in all the sprawl the would make getting to work miserable.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Don't even think of driving if the roads haven't been cleared - salted and sanded - unless you are an 'emergency worker', i.e. at a hospital, etc.
Powerlines are usually fine until a branch falls on them, or someone decides they can drive safely and smashes into and takes down a utility pole.
If you are in the city itself, you've got no issue with power outages as your power cables are all underground.
Put a coin on top of the ice in an icecube tray in your freezer. If, after a power outage you see the coin sunk to the bottom, it means the ice thawed and most likely all the food in your freezer needs to be tossed.
A power generator is good piece of 'insurance' to have, but you need a safe place to run it - outdoors with ventilation - as they generate a lot of CO exhaust, even the quiet expensive Honda generators.
Our longest power outage due to ice was 4-1/2 days in my neighborhood (we were lucky, some others nearby went as much as 10 days). Pretty much everyone here has a generator now. Those with the money get automatic ones with natural gas to power them.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Well, thanks for all the tips, we got spared big time.

Started off as thunder sleet late last night, looked bad, but temps rose overnight and it turned to an all rain event. Dodged a bullet. I don't think Chicago was ready.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Hitting us now. Was clear on the morning commute but I had to go out to grab lunch (because our lunch vendor can't seem to ever make ANYTHING without pork/bacon/ham/ribs in it. I swear they'd add bacon to ice cream if they sold dessert).

Really bad driving out here. and sloppy - supposed to melt off fast but there is ice covering all the cars roads and trees etc

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic