The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Default 314ce vs 324ce

Ok, so going into buy either a Taylor 314ce (sitka spruce) or 324ce (mahogany/Tassie Blackwood) V bracing on Monday. (the store I'm going has them for the same price - usually the 324 is a little more expensive.)

I'm going to play them both obviously before I buy, but anyone who's played either or both got any thoughts on which they prefer and why? And also what they may think may be best for me in the long term?

(NB - I realise the V bracing may be contentious but I've played V bracing on other models and really liked it. As I said tho, I will be playing both these puppies first so if I hate I don't have to buy it.)

Few things about me to inform anyone's comments:

I'd describe myself as an 'advanced intermediate' player.

I'm not a singer, but I do accompany singers and from time to time belt out a few myself here and there but mostly as back up/harmonies (or drunkenly roaring out blues/funk/folk numbers)

Really trying to work on my finger picking chops but also just improving my acoustic chops all round. I'm not flashy with my fingers but very good percussively (ie my right hand rhythm and muting skills are pretty solid when I'm using a pick.) I do like to play in play in that percussive/rhythmic style as much as I'm trying to improve 'melodically' as it were.

I play live reasonably regularly, but usually for fun (read: beer and tips). I play solo, in duos and in groups (again, regularly, but casually) so I'm looking for a versatile instrument that can cut it mic'd, plugged in or pure acoustic.

Play mostly in bars or small rooms and theatres. The odd festival/outdoor stage with a celtic ensemble and folk groups. Not going to be rocking The Greek anytime soon.

This will be my first step up to an actual 'quality' guitar and I won't be buying another for a while. Whatever I get, I'm keeping.

I do like a mahogany tone (324) but is the zing of the spruce (314) potential going to be a little more versatile for my kind of situation?

Lastly, what I'm really after is the good folk at the AGF to provide me with a 3 day distraction/excitement builder while I wait in excited anticipation for the shop to open on Monday.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 PM

I’m not an expert but I’ve read that you should match the guitars tonewoods to your voice.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
314, 324, taylor, v bracing