The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Acoustic guitars to compare to Martin GPCRSG or DCRSGT, but hopefully more affordable

I’m looking for a decent acoustic guitar with cutaway for recording / self birthday gift Played a bunch at my local GC, and the one that spoke to me most was the Martin GPCRSG, followed by the Martin DCRSGT (apparently I’m a Martin man, haha). Only problem, I’m not good enough on acoustic to justify $1299! That’s more than I spent on my electrics and given its use in only a few songs it’s a hard sell. However I do understand, especially for acoustics, that quality does cost money, so I’m looking for advice.

Should I bite the bullet and go with a Martin? Or are there other similar guitars maybe without the “name” that can get me close enough? Is the used market worth considering? I’m gun shy about used as I have no idea of the warning signs are for a problem guitar. Even more gun shy about buying a guitar online that I cannot return (thankfully guitar center has a great return policy).

Main considerations are unplugged tone and playability. This guitar will be used in studio for Progressive rock music (will probably use an acoustic sim live), and mainly for lead line work and arpeggiated chords, maybe occasional strumming for texture but for sure not in a "singer songwriter" application, so it doesn’t need to be loud. I do enjoy a balanced tone thats not too chimey, so I'm thinking either Dreadnought or Grand Concert bodies, though I'm open to anything. Pickup not really necessary as every plugged in acoustic I’ve heard sounds really bad, but I didn’t hear these plugged in so maybe I’m just use to hearing cheap electronics?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping a fellow, but inexperienced, guitar lover!
Old 07-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Taylor 100 series.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Consider the Takamine guitars. I personally like the NEX body type but their dreads are pretty good as well. The electronics work well enough for various artists including Bruce Springsteen.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 PM

Buy the Martin, if it's financially feasible. You're not going to get far below that and get the same quality. Check with a couple of our sponsors herein and you'll get that guitar for around $800 if you can find one. Under a grand on Reverb - new.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
I’m looking for a decent acoustic guitar with cutaway for recording / self birthday gift Played a bunch at my local GC, and the one that spoke to me most was the Martin GPCRSG, followed by the Martin DCRSGT (apparently I’m a Martin man, haha).
If you liked the GPCRSG consider the GPCRSGT instead.

GT is Gloss Top instead of all gloss (just like the DCRSGT you played)

The GT (Gloss Top) is 300 bucks cheaper than the G (Gloss)

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...tric-Guitar.gc
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
I’m looking for a decent acoustic guitar with cutaway for recording / self birthday gift Played a bunch at my local GC, and the one that spoke to me most was the Martin GPCRSG, followed by the Martin DCRSGT (apparently I’m a Martin man, haha). Only problem, I’m not good enough on acoustic to justify $1299! T

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping a fellow, but inexperienced, guitar lover!
Of course you are good enough. Life is to short not to get what you want.

I've never understood this whole not good enough business. No one ever says I'm not a good enough driver to get a BMW, or no one ever says I'm not a good enough sports fan to get a big screen TV, or I'm not a good enough cook to get a nice steak.

Life is to short. Get yourself the guitar you want and have fun with it.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 AM

If you want a Martin but don't want to pay for new there are a lot of used ones out there. Check your local Craigslist or other seller type listings. I found a really nice Martin OMCPA4 Rosewood for well under $1000 here in Phoenix a few months ago. The Martin PA (Performing Artist) series are really nice sounding and playing guitars. I'd bet one of the fine AGF forum members in your area would be willing to help you evaluate a guitar. Best of luck to you finding that new guitar. The search is half the fun.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

If you contact our forum sponsors, you can save about $200 on the GPCRSG compared to the GC price. It's a fantastic guitar. I've had mine for over a year and it just keeps getting better;

The GPCRSG is different from the GT in more than the finish. The G had mutenye back and sides. Mutenye is a lot like ovankol and has a fuller more rosewoody tone. The GT is sapele and doesn't have the presence of the G.

Get the Martin even if it's a stretch. If you get the guitar that you love, you will play it all the time. If you get a cheaper substitute, you'll be wishing you got the Martin

Last edited by lowrider; 07-21-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If you contact our forum sponsors, you can save about $200 on the GPRSG compared to the GC price. It's a fantastic guitar. I've had mine for over a year and it just keeps getting better;

The GPRSG is different from the GT in more than the finish. The G had mutenya back and sides. Mutenye is a lot like ovankol and has a fuller more rosewoody tone. The GT is sapele and doesn't have the presence of the G.

Get the Martin even if it's a stretch. If you get the guitar that you love, you will play it all the time. If you get a cheaper substitute, you'll be wishing you got the Martin
Going through a forum sponsor makes a lot of sense. The savings is great and many off a trial period on a brand new guitar. Any new Martin I have purchased this way as well.

Also, in terms of not being good enough to own a guitar you like, I would never own any then. My $200 Silvercreek plays well an is just fine. I'm probably good enough for that guitar but it's nice having others.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
If you contact our forum sponsors, you can save about $200 on the GPCRSG compared to the GC price.

The G had mutenye back and sides.
The GT is sapele
I missed that the GT was not mutenye. In which case, I thoroughly agree with Lowrider. Contact one of the forum sponsors and see if they can beat back GC's price a bit.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Cort Gold A6, D6. You're welcome.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:18 PM

For a budget buy and ocassional player, you could also consider a Blueridge guitar or one from the Martin X-series. I haven't played the BR, but I hear a lot of good thing about them compared to Martin (sound and price).

I do have an X series 000 and it sounds great plugged in. Same with the DX1AE that I sold for another guitar purchase. (Big mistake)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If you contact our forum sponsors, you can save about $200 on the GPCRSG compared to the GC price. It's a fantastic guitar. I've had mine for over a year and it just keeps getting better;

The GPCRSG is different from the GT in more than the finish. The G had mutenye back and sides. Mutenye is a lot like ovankol and has a fuller more rosewoody tone. The GT is sapele and doesn't have the presence of the G.

Ok, so on my latest quest for a second nice acoustic in a 1000-1300 price range and after trading and selling a few I end up at GC in Brentwood TN. Played several and then I pick up this GPCRSG. Hands down the winner. I admit being more favored to Martin, have had several and currently a 000-18e Retro. The salesman, although being a salesman, lol, said you'll probably always be more satisfied with martin since you've had several and that is the tone you've grown accustom too. I just agreed and now possess this wonder guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion