The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdean View Post
...... I have always wondered if the humidity level in the case area with the body would be significantly different than the neck area....my case has a "big" U'-shaped neck cradle separating the two compartments with not a lot of air flow linking the two compartments......
Humidity equalizes pretty quickly. There won't be a significant difference between different parts of the case after even a few minutes.

One thing I have noticed since I've been using the remote sensors is that the temp and rH in the cases changes much more slowly than the environment in the house does. The case really moderates the changes.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 07-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
There won't be a significant difference between different parts of the case after even a few minutes.
My experiments have clearly shown me that air (and moisture) transfer inside my cases is extremely slow. If I put one hygrometer in the soundhole, and another in the tool compartment, they can read completely different values even after several days. Similarly, if I put silica gel beads in the tool compartment, I end up with a very dry tool compartment, but they have hardly any effect on the hygrometer reading inside the soundhole, even days later.

So I put silica gel in cotton bags, AND the hygrometer, supported by the strings, inside the soundhole, as I've described here:

In-case dehumidification

The result looks like this:

Last edited by N+1; 07-21-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill View Post
Hello-Got a hygrometer on the way and was wondering about case placement.
Would it still give me a somewhat accurate reading if I kept it in the case compartment? Is there a better place to keep it?
Hi gill
I humidify the room, and just keep the hygrometer in the room the guitar cases live in, because they will be the same level of humidified as the room before long.

Of course if you are adding additional humidifiers in the case, then sure, put a hygrometer in the case too, and in the pick compartment is fine (I prop the lid a hair using either a thumb pick or old Snark clip after it breaks).

I have 7 guitars so it's easier to humidify the room.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanks Larry- unfortunately I don't have a dedicated room for my gear. Theyre kinda spread out over the house.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

No, I would say you need the hygrometer in the main compartment of the case to get a reasonably accurate response if you are relying on controlling only the in-case RH.

I use Caliber IV hygrometers that are maybe a bit slimmer than yours, and these sit easily either in the cut-away area or anywhere there is a small gap. If not I would do as N+1 recommends (I also use small cotton bags with S Gel in between the strings).

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-21-2018, 05:18 AM

I use the Taylor models. Big one in guitar room and small one in case's pick compartment. I have found these to be very accurate and they accurately change immediately with humidity changes (its cool to watch) I also do not see any difference in location i place it in the case so it stays in gear/pick compartment and works great!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM

Default rH

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
My experiments have clearly shown me that air (and moisture) transfer inside my cases is extremely slow. If I put one hygrometer in the soundhole, and another in the tool compartment, they can read completely different values even after several days. Similarly, if I put silica gel beads in the tool compartment, I end up with a very dry tool compartment, but they have hardly any effect on the hygrometer reading inside the soundhole, even days later.

So I put silica gel in cotton bags, AND the hygrometer, supported by the strings, inside the soundhole, as I've described here:

In-case dehumidification

The result looks like this:
I would expect the compartment would be slower to equalize.

Thanks for keeping me honest

I should have been clearer, but I was talking about the main section of the case.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 AM

It seems that a case is not just a case: from the comments of others here, I conclude that different cases allow different degrees of air movement.

Most of my guitars are Taylors, in Taylor hard cases. I've tested various combinations of gel pack and hygrometer placing quite thoroughly, and in my Taylor cases the headstock area and the tool compartment are very effectively isolated from the main body of the case. Gel packs placed up there have almost no effect on the relative humidity in the main part of the case (which is what primarily needs to be controlled to keep the body of the guitar happy).

My point is: you'd be wise to test out your particular case or cases, and don't assume free air movement throughout the various compartments. I'm in no doubt that in my situation, the optimum placing for both gel beads AND hygrometer is inside the guitar's soundhole.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Double-posted by mistake. Apologies.

Last edited by N+1; 07-21-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jaybee--here's the deets (couldn't post a pic):

Inkbird Digital Thermometer and Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Monitor

Delicated size, portable and light.
Record Max. and Min. temperature and humidity values
Read display easily and immediately
It is a goog for home comfort monitor
Suitable for household, guitar case, green house, office and labs.

3.9 x 1.4 x 0.6 inches
Item Weight 0.32 ounces
Hi,there are many brands, including the Oasis versions but they are all much the same. I have them in every case and stick 'em where they fit - on the accessory box lid is best, some are in the case lid.

As they are so cheap, I have a few scattered around the house too.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry- unfortunately I don't have a dedicated room for my gear. Theyre kinda spread out over the house.
Hi Gill

Given that the goal is to keep the humidity at safe levels for the guitar, and not museum quality humidity control, anywhere in the case is good enough. Whether you put it in the pick drawer and prop it open a bit, or put it in the body section, if you are humidifying the guitar, that's what counts.

The old Dampit humidifiers (and the new ones still sold today) just had a card in them that gave general indicators, and it was all we really needed.

I'm old (70 yrs old this year) and back in the mid-1900s guys used to cut half an apple and toss it into the pick drawer to humidify (don't recommend it). When it dried out, they replaced it.

We've come a long ways now - I use sponges in a ziplock bag with slits cut into it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
My experiments have clearly shown me that air (and moisture) transfer inside my cases is extremely slow. If I put one hygrometer in the soundhole, and another in the tool compartment, they can read completely different values even after several days.
Thanks for your feedback on this regarding your experiments. I kind of figured there is not a lot of "air flow communication" between the body and neck compartments in my case. Thus my neck compartment hygrometer isn't really telling me anything about the humidity level in my body. I have tried finding a hygrometer that is small enough to fit in the body compartment but haven't found one. Maybe I have to get a new, slightly larger case?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I kind of figured there is not a lot of "air flow communication" between the body and neck compartments in my case. Thus my neck compartment hygrometer isn't really telling me anything about the humidity level in my body.
I think that's almost certainly true.

Quote:
I have tried finding a hygrometer that is small enough to fit in the body compartment but haven't found one. Maybe I have to get a new, slightly larger case?
I modified a digital hygrometer by super-glueing a small flat thin piece of wood to the end of it (reinforced with tape, just in case). The hygrometer slides between the strings, and the flat bit of wood stops it falling in. I've been using this for about a year with no problems.

Post #17 above shows it in situ, alongside a bag of gel beads. (The hygrometer is placed with the sensor side pointing away from the gel bag.)

Last edited by N+1; 07-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I modified a digital hygrometer by super-glueing a small flat thin piece of wood to the end of it (reinforced with tape, just in case). The hygrometer slides between the strings, and the flat bit of wood stops it falling in. I've been using this for about a year with no problems.

Post #17 above shows it in situ, alongside a bag of gel beads. (The hygrometer is placed with the sensor side pointing away from the gel bag.)
N=1....Thanks for great idea of hanging a thin hygrometer between the strings. I can definitely handle super glueing a thin piece of wood or plastic!! A lot cheaper than getting a new case!!

Warren
Old 07-21-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
N=1....Thanks for great idea of hanging a thin hygrometer between the strings. I can definitely handle super glueing a thin piece of wood or plastic!! A lot cheaper than getting a new case!!

Warren
The superglue business represented the limit of my technological competence, and you could say that the tape is unnecessary insurance. But when you're probing at the edge of the unknown, you need these little comforts.
And yes, a lot cheaper than a new case.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion