The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer makes for a Great Practice Tool

I recently purchased this mixer, the smallest and least expensive mixer that Behringer sells. It has 3 channels with two being stereo capable. Channel 1 can be used for a dedicated XLR or line-in mic or the line-in for a guitar. This channel also has a 2 band EQ, a pre-amp and gain control. All channels have balance and level controls. It also has RCA inputs and outputs, but I have no use for those. I have no experience with specialized Audio equipment, so this was a first time purchase of this type for me. I use it to play along with my MP3 player because my amp doesn't have an aux input. I have a pickup I use in my FG800. Using this helps me work on my timing and allows me to increase my guitar volume relative to the track I'm playing so I can hear myself better. After a few uses I think I finally have the settings where I want them. I can also plug in headphones late at night and not bother anyone. It that way it sort of doubles as a headphone amp which is a nice side benefit. It's a lot of fun to use and it provides me with more motivation as I enjoy playing along to songs. Both ones that I'm trying to learn and ones I already know. It's a fairly basic mixer, certainly not top-of-the-line pro quality, but for my purposes here at home it suits me just fine. And it was only $40.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 AM

If you have a great home stereo system, you ought to try those rca outs and patch in to that. That was my "PA" for the first year or two.

I have the 802 mixer. They are nice little mixers. Practicing while plugged in is good so as to amplify your mistakes and correct them early on rather than playing for years making subtle mistakes and not being able to hear them.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 AM

It's a good little utility mixer. I also had the 802, which is nice because it has 2 xlr inputs in case you want to sing with a friend, or mic your guitar on one channel and sing in the other.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 AM

Kudos for finding what works well for you! Another great example proving solutions don't have to be expensive or complicated to be effective.

I'll bet that through the coming years you'll find this little mixer to be a great little tool for all kinds of things.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Practicing while plugged in is good so as to amplify your mistakes and correct them early on rather than playing for years making subtle mistakes and not being able to hear them.
+1! Helps your live mic technique a whole bunch too as in getting used to being closer to the mic than you would be in the studio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
behringer, mixers, practice tips