The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Default New Mackie Freeplay series!

Hopefully they’ve fixed that silly “wide-z” preamp!

http://mackie.com/freeplay-series
Old 05-01-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post

I wouldn't bet any money on it. I spoke with a Mackie rep a while back who indicated that engineering had no desire to change the preamp design. But, one can hope, can't one? :-)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Just wondering if the PPM Series are as good as the old 808M/S models?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I wouldn't bet any money on it. I spoke with a Mackie rep a while back who indicated that engineering had no desire to change the preamp design. But, one can hope, can't one? :-)
I just used my Mackie Reach last night with my Boss AD-10 guitar preamp. This PA is just wonderful if you use an external instrument preamp, but not even passable in an emergency without it! On mics, you are fine if you are using standard output dynamics like the SM58, Beta 58, Audix OM 5, etc., but not if you are using low output mics like Audix OM7 or Shure SM7 mics. If they have any interaction with their customers at all they should know that! Those "Wide Z" preamps completely and utterly suck!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I just used my Mackie Reach last night with my Boss AD-10 guitar preamp. This PA is just wonderful if you use an external instrument preamp, but not even passable in an emergency without it! On mics, you are fine if you are using standard output dynamics like the SM58, Beta 58, Audix OM 5, etc., but not if you are using low output mics like Audix OM7 or Shure SM7 mics. If they have any interaction with their customers at all they should know that! Those "Wide Z" preamps completely and utterly suck!
I sold my FreePlay to make room for the Bose S1 Pro. TBH, I liked the sound of the Mackie better, but it require a preamp or my XLR to 1/4” cable. The Mackie speaker has more bass and a flatter response than the Bose S1 Pro.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 AM

Thumbs up My Mackie FreePlay

My FreePlay is killer - I play a synth Roland GR33 guitar module - my electric guitar with my TC Helicon Voice Live 3X
- my acoustic electric with only the FreePlay FX/EQ - vocal mic . The synth bass sounds are unreal they sound
so good through this P.A.

I don't have a single negative issue with it , its a year and a half old now . I went through two from the vendor ,
each one's problem was different , the third one has had no issues at all . Battery power lasts forever .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 05-02-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 AM

Cool Mackie FreePlay = Killer LOW HZ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I sold my FreePlay to make room for the Bose S1 Pro. TBH, I liked the sound of the Mackie better, but it require a preamp or my XLR to 1/4” cable. The Mackie speaker has more bass and a flatter response than the Bose S1 Pro.
I have to agree , the bass Hz sound out of the FreePlay is surprisingly strong and dominant , I love it .

I will get a second one to compliment it they are that good a sound FRFR amp/Spkr system . The Hi Hz's are
clean too .

When I'm not using it for my vocal / acoustic-electric guitars / guitar synth / blues harp - I plug it to my :
TV and get one heck of a killer sound too for movies and music vids .

EZ :

HR

Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

There is a possibility of some outdoor farmer's market gigs in my future and there isn't power available. I'm considering the Loudbox charge as our duo uses an Artist and Loudbox live and they are each great. My Artist is 5 years old and still kicking and sounding as good as new.

The introduction of the Mackie Freeplay Live looks interesting. I'm just suspicious of a new product from a company I perceive as not as reliable as Fishman. Do any of you have thoughts about this comparison?

Preemptively the Bose S1 is not a viable option as I'd be paying for lots of functions that we don't need and with the battery it's much more expensive.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 AM

I didn't like the sound of the previous Freeplay so I'll be leaning more towards to Loudbox Mini Charge Digital mixer is something I hope we'll all have in our portable PAs though!
Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 PM

What the new Freeplay has going for it is 150 Watts with a lithium ion rechargeable battery. Nothing else comes close to that kind of power with a battery.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM

Talking Mackie FreePlay IS COOL FOR ME

Quote:
What the new Freeplay has going for it is 150 Watts with a lithium ion rechargeable battery. Nothing else comes close to that kind of power with a battery.
lkingston :

The EQ is really good for a stand alone system . My D46SCE Washburn acoustic electric's Equis Plus pre amp
has no issue playing through with out a pre amp through my guitar's XLR output .

I am really pleased with it to the point of saving for a second one to line up a real bigger wider stereo projection field .
Presently if you are 20 plus feet away you don't hear the stereo field as well . For a small coffee
house this 2 Mackie set up would really do well and for the money beats the pants off the competition period .

Maybe a subwoofer and you can/could fill a small room ( 100 people or less ) and would cut it big time for my
needs as a soloist , and I'm using synths too beside acoustic and electric guitars plus a blues harp as well as sing .
Using my TC Helicon Voice Live 3 X through it along with my Roland GR33 guitar synth just plane rips and sparkles .

EZ :

HR

Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:

* Old Freeplay
Mic input: +26 dB fixed gain
Jack Hi-Z: +0 dB fixed gain
from User manual p17

* New Freeplay LIVE
Mic input: +20 dB fixed gain
Jack Hi-Z: +0 dB fixed gain
from User manual p15

Eng. at Mackie: "Boss, people complain because the freeplay jack input is a lot quieter than the XLR..."
Boss at Mackie: "mm..."
Eng.: " Can I put a gain stage?"
Boss: "No way, it would cost at least $1 components. I want ZERO gain on the jack inputs"
Eng.: "But the difference is pretty obvious"
Boss: "Attenuate the Mic input gain by 6 dB, it will be less obvious"
Eng.: "But it will be less loud..."
Boss: "Who cares, nobody pushes these things in a shop"
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-02-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
lkingston :

The EQ is really good for a stand alone system . My D46SCE Washburn acoustic electric's Equis Plus pre amp
has no issue playing through with out a pre amp through my guitar's XLR output .

I am really pleased with it to the point of saving for a second one to line up a real bigger wider stereo projection field .
Presently if you are 20 plus feet away you don't hear the stereo field as well . For a small coffee
house this 2 Mackie set up would really do well and for the money beats the pants off the competition period .

Maybe a subwoofer and you can/could fill a small room ( 100 people or less ) and would cut it big time for my
needs as a soloist , and I'm using synths too beside acoustic and electric guitars plus a blues harp as well as sing .
Using my TC Helicon Voice Live 3 X through it along with my Roland GR33 guitar synth just plane rips and sparkles .

EZ :

HR

A guitar with an XLR out would work fine with the older WideZ input as well. It’s the guitars that only have 1/4” outs that cannot get enough gain.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:27 AM

That’s basically EVERY guitar! Mackie made a big mistake by not listening to customer feedback.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:02 AM

150W at 8lbs? What sort of magic is that?

I'm happy with my Carvin S600b. Will be curious to hear some 'reviews from the field' for the new Mackie.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification