The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 AM

Last question you guys... do you think a slip cover is needed? Or would the padded carrying case be better?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 AM

For me, a case is better every time. Repeated hauling and setup is really hard on equipment.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcool View Post
Last question you guys... do you think a slip cover is needed? Or would the padded carrying case be better?
For bedroom use? Personally I don't see a reason.
But a Slip cover should be just fine.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:00 AM

@ buzzardwhiskey - Yeah... I see what you mean. Just that the padded case is $100!
@ jakestone - That's exactly what I thought too!

Thanks you guys! I have my new fishman with slip cover paid for and inbound... can't wait!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
@ buzzardwhiskey - Yeah... I see what you mean. Just that the padded case is $100!

Thanks you guys! I have my new fishman with slip cover paid for and inbound... can't wait!
Congrats! Let us know what you think when you get it.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Make sure you buy a guitar cable too
Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Make sure you buy a guitar cable too
Any recommendations? I was looking at few but dang... so many to choose from, making my head spin!

These are the ones I think i'm narrowing it down to:
Reverb cables - $7 (10-foot 1/4" Guitar Cable)
D'Addario Planet Waves American Stage Instrument Cable - $18 (10 ft. 1/4")
Monster classic cables - $20 (12ft. 1/4")

All straight on straight. Again, any input would greatly be appreciated!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations? I was looking at few but dang... so many to choose from, making my head spin!

These are the ones I think i'm narrowing it down to:
Reverb cables - $7 (10-foot 1/4" Guitar Cable)
D'Addario Planet Waves American Stage Instrument Cable - $18 (10 ft. 1/4")
Monster classic cables - $20 (12ft. 1/4")

All straight on straight. Again, any input would greatly be appreciated!
The 10 ft. Planet Waves is a good choice. I'd recommend getting a cable with a rt. angle connector for the guitar side. It reduces the risk of damaging your guitar should you step on the cable or walk too far from the amp while playing. This is assuming that your pickup system includes an output jack on the guitar body (for example at the endpin).

Louis
Old 04-05-2018, 03:18 PM

Planet Waves.
Martin J40
Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Thanks! I was at my local GC and did a comparison with a few cables. Planet waves american stage was constructed a lot better than other cables there. You could feel the difference and I hope it lasts a long time too. Will report back once the amp comes in... excited!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Slipcover first. Even if you decide to buy or build a case down the road, a soft cover as the first level of protection is not a bad idea.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:59 PM

So I've received my new fishman loudbox mini and I've noticed something that is odd. And a little info/background, this is my first acoustic amp purchase. I take it out the box, get it all set up and plugged in. All is well, then a few minutes in... I smell a burning "plastic" smell. Nothing is smoking, everything is working. Just a smell coming from the vent on the amp. Kinda filled up my bedroom. The next day, I turn it on.. the same smell when I was practicing. Amp was not turned on longer than 30 minutes at most. So then I wait a few days and practice again, smell is there but need to be right up on the amp vent to smell it. Not like day one but present. So my question to everyone, has anyone else experienced this? I've contacted Fishman and they told me two things. If it was smoking or burning, this would cause an immediate failure to the amp and it would stop working. In which case they would cover shipping and fix/replace. Or it could be some dust particles that is getting burnt up inside and nothing to worry about since smell is going away. They offered to send it back and they could check it out if I wasn't comfortable or to contact the place of purchase and return. Either way, that I was covered. Just worried that I got a bad amp or something. Would you return the amp from place of purchase and get refund or am I overreacting? Any opinions would be appreciated ya'll. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:28 PM

I would take a look at the Fender series. I am most likely going to buy the Acoustic SFX, but there are others that are a few hundred less. I really like what I heard from Fender recently.

Dan
Old 04-17-2018, 04:31 PM

If you buy an acoustic amp and stick to it for the duration ... you'd be in a league of one on this forum .

In other words I wouldn't sweat your first purchase too much, because you'll probably switch systems over and over like everyone else here (myself included!).

It's a different world from being an electric player in a rock band with someone else sweating the sound; in that case, you could happen upon a nice Mesa Boogie or whatever and keep it for years and years and never think of changing.

So get something that seems to fit the bill, it's the only way to begin the journey. We'll see you back in a few months ... or weeks!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
If you buy an acoustic amp and stick to it for the duration ... you'd be in a league of one on this forum .

In other words I wouldn't sweat your first purchase too much, because you'll probably switch systems over and over like everyone else here (myself included!).

It's a different world from being an electric player in a rock band with someone else sweating the sound; in that case, you could happen upon a nice Mesa Boogie or whatever and keep it for years and years and never think of changing.

So get something that seems to fit the bill, it's the only way to begin the journey. We'll see you back in a few months ... or weeks!
Thanks Troggg... yeah, you're right. FWIW, I do feel like I have a great amp for money (lol). And I do like how it sounds. Was worried about that funny smell coming out of it but since talking with Fishman, they made me feel good knowing they'd cover me if anything went wrong. Got a great deal on it too so I shouldn't complain. Just like you said, enjoy playing/practicing. Get so caught up in "this or that", forget I'm still new and got a long ways to go. Thanks for the perspective check... I'm sure I'll be chatting with you some more as my guitar curiosity continues...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification