The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Anyone go wireless?

I have an AKG wireless handheld mic that I bought on sale, and I actually think it sounds better than my AKGD5 DLX wired mic. Anyway, the same system (Perception) is on sale for the instrument rig. Thinking of getting one. Will certainly help with guitar sound checks when I don't have a loop pedal with me.

Any thoughts? Cautions? Words of advice?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:50 PM

I'm seriously considering the Xvive U2 system for exactly the same reasons.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:16 PM

I always use a Line6 G30 wireless with my guitar. The receiver is on the bottom of my pedalboard. No wires to worry about. I use two guitars and both have transmitters set to the same channel and never have a problem.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I got this for Christmas. I used it twice. One gig it worked fine. The other one there was this low pitch whine ... I’m guessing WiFi interference, or something like that I don’t know about.

It works great at home! And at that one gig...

Research the issue. If you still care I’ll sell mine.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:38 PM

I've been using a Line6 Relay G10 with an Ovation Celebrity Plus for several months. Receiver unit is on a pedal board powered by a Winplus lithium car jump start battery from Costco.

Works great, no problems. Kind of fun to walk around the room before church checking the sound.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I bought the Xvive U2 system several months ago and I've been playing and gigging with it a ton. I have yet to have any problems with it. Note you cannot use it with active pickup systems though. You'll get a high pitched squeal. They are made for use with passive pickups. On my K&K guitars they work great.

We play out every weekend in crowded restaurants with wifi and cell phones galore and I have yet to suffer any problems. I love the freedom to walk around, not get tangled up in cables/cords and to be able to walk around the venue to check sound levels or just to interact with people. People seem to love that interaction as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Not familiar with the AKG system, but if the mic is working out well for you, probably good to go with the guitar setup -

I’ve been using the Line6 G10 system very happily for a while, but recently had the power supply plug problem, which is way too common for this system. I am going to try and modify it per some instruction I’ve found online, and hope to be very happy with it again, but if thats not sonething you’re comfortable with, I’d recommend waiting for Rev B (or even C) on the Line6 G10 -
Old 04-03-2018, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I bought the Xvive U2 system several months ago and I've been playing and gigging with it a ton. I have yet to have any problems with it. Note you cannot use it with active pickup systems though. You'll get a high pitched squeal. They are made for use with passive pickups. On my K&K guitars they work great.

We play out every weekend in crowded restaurants with wifi and cell phones galore and I have yet to suffer any problems. I love the freedom to walk around, not get tangled up in cables/cords and to be able to walk around the venue to check sound levels or just to interact with people. People seem to love that interaction as well.
Love my Xvive U2. Fantastic with K&K's. Since both receiver and transmitter are battery powered I can play in the park with my Elite Acoustics amp with no wires anywhere! As you said, it won't work with my active pickup guitars.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:57 AM

I've only owned the line 6 g50. It's a great
unit . i've had it about 5 yrs . if t broke i would
buy it again. I've never had any fallout or interference
with this unit. Use lithium batteries and you'll
get a lot longer play times out of it.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Not familiar with the AKG system, but if the mic is working out well for you, probably good to go with the guitar setup -

I’ve been using the Line6 G10 system very happily for a while, but recently had the power supply plug problem, which is way too common for this system. I am going to try and modify it per some instruction I’ve found online, and hope to be very happy with it again, but if thats not sonething you’re comfortable with, I’d recommend waiting for Rev B (or even C) on the Line6 G10 -
I just bought the G10 as well. Was going to mod the power supply but apparently the mini usb is how the unit is updated for new software. However, I wonder how often Line 6 offers an update? Regardless, there is one Youtube video online where one person found a solution. He bought a mini usb adapter like the one Line 6 ships the G10 with but it's a magnetic attachment. Apparently it completely solved the breakage issue.

As for the Xvive U2. I would not go down that road. Some people love it and others hate it. I tried two different sets with passive guitars and both were insanely noisy. Quality control seems to be an issue and good luck if you have an issue as their customer service is terrible.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:58 PM

I'm a Dinosaur, I don't trust wireless under live situations. All my live gear is analogue friendly.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I just bought the G10 as well. Was going to mod the power supply but apparently the mini usb is how the unit is updated for new software. However, I wonder how often Line 6 offers an update? Regardless, there is one Youtube video online where one person found a solution. He bought a mini usb adapter like the one Line 6 ships the G10 with but it's a magnetic attachment. Apparently it completely solved the breakage issue.
You can mod the power supply without disabling the USB - I just did update the transmitter unit on mine from 1.0 to 1.4 to make sure it worked. I'm just unhappy that they would put such a cheesy and easily damaged connection on such a nice unit - and the magnetic does look good, but I'd like to be able to power mine, along with tuner etc with a standard 9v power supply -
Old 04-03-2018, 07:05 PM

I must bought the A-T system 10 stomp. Will be gigging with it on Friday. Will report back.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 04-03-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
You can mod the power supply without disabling the USB - I just did update the transmitter unit on mine from 1.0 to 1.4 to make sure it worked. I'm just unhappy that they would put such a cheesy and easily damaged connection on such a nice unit - and the magnetic does look good, but I'd like to be able to power mine, along with tuner etc with a standard 9v power supply -
Do you have any documentation for this mod? The ones I saw seem to indicate that once completed, the usb function is disabled. I would love to get mine modded though. I agree, it would be awesome to use with a pedalboard. It's such an amazing piece of equipment. Why Line 6 would choose to add in such a terrible adapter is beyond me, especially with the numerous complaints.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM

When Sweetwater was blowing out the Fender FWG1010 for $99 I bought one. I’ve used it at home and for gigs with nary a bobble. Probably about the best thing I’ve ever bought at that price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification