The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Love the Dunlop Primetone 1.4 non-sculpted triangles, BUT...

Love the Dunlop Primetone 1.4 non-sculpted triangles, but I really wanted a slightly thinner pick.

I took one of my 1.4mm picks, thinned to 1.1mm and buffed the surface to re-establish the beveled and contoured edges.

The results were very satisfying and this might become my pick preference for both guitar and mandolin.

I was dismayed that the large triangle wasn't available in a slightly less robust thickness, but this might at least solve that issue.

Anyone else have that same thought or experience?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:13 PM

If you speed bevel with a chisel type edge, thickness above 1.3 or so is not much issue. They retain the bright, clear tone and the thickness just adds control and volume/dynamics.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM

Yeah, I like the Primetones, but I don't like the textured grip, so I lapped the grip out of a 1.5, easy peasy, and it's much improved to my touch.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
Yeah, I like the Primetones, but I don't like the textured grip, so I lapped the grip out of a 1.5, easy peasy, and it's much improved to my touch.
I'm using the smooth ones, not the textured grip type.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm using the smooth ones, not the textured grip type.
Yeah, but the point is that the lapping technique will still work to give you the pick that works for you.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I like the texture and tone of this pick but absolutely agree that I’d prefer a thinner version. Maybe a .88.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I like the texture and tone of this pick but absolutely agree that I’d prefer a thinner version. Maybe a .88.
I love the material, the edge bevel, the finish, smooth texture, and particularly the large triangle shape. I'm just a bit befuddled that this great pick isn't offered in a thinner choice. Would it kill 'em to offer a 1mm?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I love the material, the edge bevel, the finish, smooth texture, and particularly the large triangle shape. I'm just a bit befuddled that this great pick isn't offered in a thinner choice. Would it kill 'em to offer a 1mm?
Rudy, there is a fixation in the Grasser and other worlds with really thick picks. You see this across the board in all vendors. They have completely neglected the below 1.0 mm crowd. This is by design. Dunlop is doing what is called in marketing an upward line extension, so they have to pander to that crowd.

Solution: The Dunlop Ultex line is made from the same material, at much lower cost and at much thinner thicknesses. The best value line in the industry, IMHO.

There are a few high-performance pick companies that make picks below 1.0 mm, but you really have to hunt for them.

scott memmer
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Rudy, there is a fixation in the Grasser and other worlds with really thick picks. You see this across the board in all vendors. They have completely neglected the below 1.0 mm crowd. This is by design. Dunlop is doing what is called in marketing an upward line extension, so they have to pander to that crowd.

Solution: The Dunlop Ultex line is made from the same material, at much lower cost and at much thinner thicknesses. The best value line in the industry, IMHO.

There are a few high-performance pick companies that make picks below 1.0 mm, but you really have to hunt for them.

scott memmer
I have many different thicknesses and shapes of Dunlop Ultex picks. While I agree they are excellent picks, they don't appear to be the same material as the Dunlop Primetone triangle, and they don't sound the same to my ears.

There are, however, a couple of Dunlop Primetone picks that are made out the exact same material, and with raised surfaces for gripping, yet thinner. These are the Primetone Animals As Leaders picks. Though they are not large triangle shaped, they are similar in all other respects and have a gauge of .73mm. I love them.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion