The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Cleaning up a 1963 00-18

A guy I work with bought this Martin brand-new in Chicago in 1963 or maybe 64. He then played the daylights out of it for a couple of decades, and then put it in the case sometime in the '90s and forgot about it.

When he mentioned to me that he had an old Martin, I asked him to bring it in so I could see it. He told me that it was a 00-18, so that was no surprise. I was taken aback at the condition, though; talk about rode hard and put away wet!

I'm going to clean it up for him and we'll see what is underneath the crud. I've already taken the 30 year old strings off, and should probably run down to the local ER for a tetanus shot. Man, were they nasty!

20180720_100548.jpg

20180720_101056.jpg

20180720_100611.jpg

I'll keep the photos coming, assuming you AGFers will find this interesting.

Last edited by KenL; 07-20-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Yeah, it doesn't appear as though it's ever received any maintenance whatsoever.

Given the condition of the frets and the deep furrows in the fingerboard, the frets should really be pulled and replaced and the fingerboard planed to smooth it out. There should be enough wood remaining in the fingerboard to be able to do that, but a complete fingerboard replacement is another option, and that might even be faster. If so, it could be cheaper to have that work done.

Personally, I would opt for planing the original fretboard rather than replacing it, simply because that's what the guitar came with. But if those furrows have been dug so deep that merely planing the fretboard isn't practical, replacing it will be the only option.

In any event, once you get the guitar cleaned up as much as you can should show it to a professional guitar repair tech for an overall assessment. There could well be unseen neglect-related damage inside the body cavity that needs to be corrected, as well.

Anyway, good for you for helping with this. Please do keep the photos coming.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Wade, believe it or not, the owner says he's already had it refretted once.

I don't think he has what you might call a "light touch."

And I appreciate your opinion regarding the fret board. Yep, it needs work.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 PM

A diamond in the rough!

Nice find.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:33 PM

And, very likely worth the effort and expense of repair.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
And, very likely worth the effort and expense of repair.
A couple more "Before" photos:

20180720_100540.jpg20180720_100608.jpg20180720_100601.jpg

You can see the old strings in these photos, but it's hard to see how green/black/rusty they are.

So far I've vacuumed out the hairballs from the interior and pulled off the old '60s set list that was taped to the side. I then wiped down the whole guitar with some Murphy's soap and warm water; drastic, I know, but you wouldn't believe how much better it looks already. The owner used to be a smoker, and the guitar was covered in 50-year old smoke residue.

Next I'm going to take a razor blade to the fret board, lots of gunk up against the frets.

Last edited by KenL; 07-20-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Man, he played the snot out of her. I thought my old sigma was worn. He was a strummer.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 PM

Lightbulb I love threads like this !!!

The photographs are excellent !!! I really love a good restoration thread, they are always great to see what goes on !!! Well Done !!!
Old 07-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
The photographs are excellent !!! I really love a good restoration thread, they are always great to see what goes on !!! Well Done !!!

Thanks! The AGF App works pretty darn good for posting photos, and my Samsung phone takes really good photos. I load some text and the photos from my phone, then go to my desktop to edit and move the photos around.

Works for me and my very average computer skills, anyway.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 PM

The best rule of thumb with old guitars is to mess with them as little as possible consistent with keeping (or putting them into) playing shape. I would use 0000 steel wool rather than a razor blade to clean off the fretboard gunk. Less chance of bring up any fretboard wood. Naptha is a better cleaning agent as well. (just do it outside. And don't smoke, needless to say)

I didn't see any cracks, although the photos are limited. (Not even the dread "pickguard crack.") You are going to want to watch for places where the finish may be flaking. You may have to have a few spots drop-filled with lacquer, not to return it to new but rather to keep things from getting worse. The back of the neck looks somewhat suspect.

New frets. As Wade said, plane the fretboard rather than remove and replace it if at all possible. It may be coming up on needing a neck reset as well, at that age. Given the work that it needs, I would try and include it as well, which would get the guitar in shape for another few decades of playing.You are probably looking at around $800-$1000 for the work that it looks like it needs, plus anything else that turns up, like loose braces or cracks that need attended to. Sounds like a lot, but that guitar in playing condition is probably worth somewhere between $1800 and $2800, given the finish. Without the repairs, not so much. And, as I may remind, they are not making many 55 year old Martins these days. I would also advise taking the guitar in to someone who does restoration work on old guitars. If you ask, you could probably get a recommendation nearby, depending on where you are.

I've a 1957 00-18, and it is a sweetheart. I bought it needing a neck reset, frets and the board planed. It is playable for the rest of my life, when you can pry it from my cold dead hands...

OMMV

TW
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM

That fretboard is crazy! Was the guys other hobby rock climbing? I can't imagine how calloused fingertips have to be to dig into a board and make a string dig into a board like that.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
That fretboard is crazy! Was the guys other hobby rock climbing? I can't imagine how calloused fingertips have to be to dig into a board and make a string dig into a board like that.

I think you might be on to something. Maybe he rock climbed while playing this guitar? That would explain the million dings and dents.

Mycroft, that's excellent information. Please stay tuned as I'll have some questions as to the price of the various things this old girl will be needing.

And, yes, I'm doing the bare minimum, just trying to get her back into playing shape so that an expert can take it from there- if the owner decides that that's what he wants to have done.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM

Looks like you've found a beauty, some tlc and it'll only get better, well done !
Don
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Cool thread! And good on you for helping your friend out.

What does the bridgeplate look like? It could be pretty torn up as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM

If only those gullies on the fretboard could talk. And the frets themselves... this man had stone callouses and possibly fingernails of titanium. The patina mojo factor is off the charts. More pics!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion