The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I tried a Sunrise/Red Eye combination and while you get a useable sound it didn't have the mojo of a Sunrise combined with a good tube DI such as a Demeter VTDB-2B.

I've played Sunrise pickups for over 30 years and have yet to find a better adjunct than the Demeter tube DI. It's an industry standard among concert artists who perform with the Sunrise pickup. Lyle Lovette, Emmylou Harris, Keith Richards, etc.
I have a Palmer PDI-CTC but I put it after the Felix in the chain to take advantage of the Felix's input stage. But only in home studio.. not going to lug that Palmer around.

Last edited by Spook; 05-11-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
Yeah.....the Red Eye has an XLR out to feed a mixer.....no problem there. My current setup is K&K PWM in the guitar to the Red Eye and it does work quite nicely.....but...... I play quite percussively with the pick hand (left, in my case) and the K&K hears every bump, thump and fingernail tap and while for some tunes it does add a nice rhythm sound, in other cases it is just annoying. So rather than alter my pick hand technique I'm going to stuff a Sunrise in one of the guitars and give it a go. This should minimize, if not eliminate, the thumping and bumping getting to the mixing desk.

So, bottom line? It's another one of those expensive experiments we guitar players are prone to try.........sheesh.
The red eye as good as it is doesn't have the proper
eq adjustments to dial out that thump you hear with
your picking style. it's a low freq thump picked up by
your hand and string attack. The felix has this notching ability to dial out the thump.
The sunrise doesn't pick up body resonance so it will accomplish the same thing.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

The DiMarzio Black Angel is a similar and and very good sound hole pickup. I'm a long time Sunrise player and I find the Black Angel is also a great pickup. I use both and like the sound of both equally. The Black Angel costs less and weighs less so in those respects I like it a bit better. Due to the lighter overall mass it doesn't damp the top of the guitar as much as a Sunrise does. Can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification