The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Default New Stick PA-EV Evolve 30M

Hi all- Thought some might be interested new Evolve 30M that was just released by EV. It seems to meet a lot of the checkboxes (built in mixer with plenty of usable channels, Bluetooth app to control the mixer, onboard effects, easy carry/setup). I picked one up today and am really impressed by it. Especially like the backpack for the column pieces.

EV Info:
https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2855

Last edited by cvmatt247; 01-21-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Sounds like more companies are finally beginning to listen and adding mixers to these things.

I kinda hate these marketing blather videos but it's a start. There are some others out there. I don't like the menu-driven basic (I gather) mixer on board, but the remote mixer app is available both in the Apple store and Google Play (I'm looking at it on my Android phone right now).

[Edit: Removed botched link that lkingston posts below]

I heard a singer/guitarist performing in my local bar last night with what I think was an Evolve 50 and it sounded great (it was way more than what's needed for that space but he sings in a duo and other locales). I thought the vocals were especially good but of course other factors--he was using a pedalboard for starters.

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-18-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM

https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2855
Old 01-18-2020, 06:09 PM

Nice, but I think I like the specs of the Evolve 50 better (which I already own)...from a strictly PA standpoint that is: 12" sub vs. 10"; 8 x 3.5" drivers vs. 6 x 2.8". Not to mention that I was able to pick up the EV50 brand new for less than the street price of the 30M.

I'm also really digging the new Mackie VLZ4 mixers with Onyx preamps. IMHO, they sound better than any of the similar A&H, Soundcraft, Yamaha, etc. mixers I've put them up against. But the built-in digital mixer with effects is a nice bonus to the 30M.

Depends on your gigging situation and venues.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if there will be a 50 with a mixer soon? The 30M I got should be good for my use. I’m really enjoying it so far. Would recommend anyone looking for a small sound solution give it a look.

Last edited by cvmatt247; 01-21-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmatt247 View Post
I wonder if there will be a 50 with a mixer soon? The 30M I got should be good for my use. I’m really enjoying it so far. Would recommend anyone looking for a small sound solution give it a look.
That's great. Are you planning to gig with it? Would be interested in what kind of venues if so. Enjoy it regardless!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
That's great. Are you planning to gig with it? Would be interested in what kind of venues if so. Enjoy it regardless!
I’ll be using it at a regular distillery gig and some house show/backyard type shows. Other venues I play typically have their own PA.

I’ve owned a Bose Compact, Model II and S1. To me, so far, this one lands between the Compact and Model II volume wise. Right where I was hoping it would be. I need some good real world use on it before I can make a final call tho.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:26 PM

I drove a ev 30 M today. Very impressed with the sound. The GC tech guy was running through the effects as i played guitar...then I had one of their guys play my guitar as i walked around the room.. I really liked what i heard.. SUPER balanced sound. I have a band and I play many solo/duo gigs.. I own a Bose L1M2B2 (T8S mixer) that im tired of carrying around. (It's not only that I'm tired of carrying it around..i just find I don't use it very much...I have an S1 pro that i use at all rehearsals and small gigs and it seems most everywhere i play with the band has a house system. When i do need the L1 I'm always like...ugh! I gotta pack it up and carry it through the snowy, city streets! Such a baby!) The S1 pro is perfect, but i need more inputs/volume a lot of the time.
The Bose is amazing with the band and most all my solo/duo gigs..but B2 Bass (large), two bags that hold the 2 pole units, bag for the base unit, plus the mixer..compared to the ev where one bag holds the top and a roller bag holds the bottom..and the mixer is built in and on my phone... I could sell the Bose, pick up an EV 30m and a QSC k12 or something similar for the larger band gigs... Any advice, am I thinking straight? Has anyone else sang or put an acoustic guitar through the EV 30m..??
Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I sold my Bose Model II and T4s and bought the 30m. Haven’t fully gig tested yet, but from my home tests it seems to meet the needs of the gigs I’ll use it for in a lighter, more efficient and convenient package than the Bose. Nothing against Bose because the model II sounded great. 😊
Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 PM

Saw the EVs at NAMM ...very nice. EV had 2 50Ms on a stage with a girl singing and an electric guitar and they had some electronic backing tracks... lots of powerful bass.. I checked to see and asked if there was a sub anywhere. Nope none. Sounded great!

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 AM

The Evolve 50 system thumps.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I like the Evolve 50 demos and assume the Evolve 30M would also be great.
BUT, the 35 lb sub is a show-stopper for me. One of the big reasons I
stick with the Bose L1 mod2 + B1 is the each piece is manageable even
though it is an extra trip.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I like the Evolve 50 demos and assume the Evolve 30M would also be great.
BUT, the 35 lb sub is a show-stopper for me. One of the big reasons I
stick with the Bose L1 mod2 + B1 is the each piece is manageable even
though it is an extra trip.
They are only 8 pounds different..but, I definitely understand. It's an add on, but the ev sub has a roller bag.. I envision my guitar on my back, small cable bag in my left hand while pulling the roller sub unit with the pole bag attached to the top. My snowy city has horrible parking...im obsessed with the best sound I can find with only one trip back to the truck!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:05 PM

The band I play with (I don't feel like a member) goes all direct (electronic drums) and we usually play through a pair of the EV 50s. They sound great. As a Bose L1MII owner, I think the EVs are superior in a lot of ways. I think this smaller version will be a serious contender.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:02 PM

Can anybody comment on usage with the app at actual gigs more then once/twice? Seriously just by reading the reviews on the apple app I am hesitant. It got 3.4/5 stars of 24 reviews, only 3x 5-star reviews and the rest are critical/negative. “No secuirty anyone can hijack”, “Drops being paired”, “..forgets your setting when you go out of range” to name a few of the many negative reviews. It seems like they didn’t address any issues and are still using this buggy software. I don’t know call me old school but with no physical knobs on the unit itself it sounds too risky for heavy gigging if the tech isn’t up to par. Maybe I’m wrong? I hope so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification