The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Speaker and mixer question

My son is looking at using his gift card on beginner speaker and amp set. Have to stay under $300. Just something to start with .... anyone the the below? Thanks jed

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbing...12-Speakers.gc
Old 01-19-2020, 06:38 PM

That's not a terrible system. I'd suggest getting a separate powered speaker and mixer to start. They're more expandable that way with setups. But for getting started, there is nothing wrong with that system. I'd try to get one on sale or speak with a sales rep on the phone to see about getting a discount. 10-15% shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
My son is looking at using his gift card on beginner speaker and amp set. Have to stay under $300. Just something to start with .... anyone the the below? Thanks jed

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbing...12-Speakers.gc
I would pass up on the PA package and I would get a single https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbing...eakers&index=8

and a kick him a few extra bucks so he can get a https://www.guitarcenter.com/search?...ndcraft+mixers

I would talk to GC and see if they could swing you a deal on the two items.

The Harbinger speaker often comes on sale at "Stupid Deal Of The Day" for half the price.

The Soundcraft mixer can be expanded to being able to use a second Harbinger speaker.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 PM

Thanks guys
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 AM

Get a half-decent mixer. Speakers can always be upgraded.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Get a half-decent mixer. Speakers can always be upgraded.
Yep—- beginning to see that. I see some Yamaha mixers within his budget. To clarify what he wants..... we will plug up probably no more than two guitars, a mic. We have a decent size room to play in (1000 square feet). Just playing at home for friends (maybe 10 people or so). I have some old stereo speakers I could also use if that’s possible. Maybe add some good speakers later on. This is our first attempt at amping up mixer.

Has to be GC because of gift card. Any suggestions on mixer?

Thanks in advance. Jed
Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM

I have a behringer 1202fx mixer and a Kustom PA50 for home use. Both were 'open box' so are well below $150 for both. If I had money to burn, I'd upgrade the mixer first and then the speaker. My rationale is that the mixer would be valid, no matter the venue. The speaker may need to go bigger or lighter or great dispersion or great bass or whatever but you won't really know that until you decide where else to play.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Yamaha MG10XU is a nice mixer. Decent effects, compression, and USB interface for recording.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Yep—- beginning to see that. I see some Yamaha mixers within his budget. To clarify what he wants..... we will plug up probably no more than two guitars, a mic. We have a decent size room to play in (1000 square feet). Just playing at home for friends (maybe 10 people or so). I have some old stereo speakers I could also use if that’s possible. Maybe add some good speakers later on. This is our first attempt at amping up mixer.

Has to be GC because of gift card. Any suggestions on mixer?

Thanks in advance. Jed
Your stereo speakers are not powered - you need an amp for them. DO not buy a powered mixer, that will limit you.
Buy a mixer with more inputs than you need now - don't limit future use.
With GC, you can purchase used and still have a 30 day return policy. Have it shipped to the local store for pickup (if its not local) and you won't pay for shipping.
There are a few of these listed on the GC website:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ma...r-115838125.gc
Here's the Yammie mentioned above:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...r-116049694.gc
There are plenty of used powered speakers available, I've got a couple of these, they work fine for general use when not pushed too loud:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Al...red-Speaker.gc

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-29-2020, 06:54 PM

Thanks Mike
Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 PM

Hey guys, I’m still doing research on this before I buy. I’m trying to use some equipment I already have. Question:

I have a pretty good sounding Kustom acoustic amp that has the mic and 2 guitar inputs I need. I noticed today it had outputs in the back one of which was for a speaker. I’m assuming they will need to be powered speakers, correct? So, I guess I could add powered speakers for now??

I also have a Marshall dsl40 I’m trying to add to the mix.

Sorry.... very new to this and I have suddenly become my son’s sound man. Any thoughts ?

Jed
Old 02-10-2020, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure what model you have, but I found this manual. Maybe it is similar to your amp?

https://www.zikinf.com/manuels/kusto...r-en-28759.pdf

According to this, the SPEAKER OUT disconnects the speaker in the amp and is intended to supply power an external 8 ohm speaker, so you don't want to connect that output to a powered speaker. Instead, you would want to run a cable from the LINE OUT to a powered speaker. Probably a TS or TRS 1/4 inch cable would do it. I'm sure others here will chime in!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
I'm not sure what model you have, but I found this manual. Maybe it is similar to your amp?

https://www.zikinf.com/manuels/kusto...r-en-28759.pdf

According to this, the SPEAKER OUT disconnects the speaker in the amp and is intended to supply power an external 8 ohm speaker, so you don't want to connect that output to a powered speaker. Instead, you would want to run a cable from the LINE OUT to a powered speaker. Probably a TS or TRS 1/4 inch cable would do it. I'm sure others here will chime in!
That’s it! You good. Cool. To confirm, I use powered speakers out of the LINE OUT and the amp will still have sound? If so, in the manual it says something about LINE OUT being powered by amp.... just confirming I need powered instead of unpowered speakers. Guess I could test a stereo speaker. Thank you

Jed
Old 02-10-2020, 09:31 PM

Smile

Yes, from what I understand only the SPEAKER OUT will cut off the amp's speaker, but the LINE OUT acts like a separate feed to another mixer or powered speaker. So you should hear both the amp itself and then that "mix" from your amp will get sent to the external powered speaker(s). The part about the line out being powered by an amp I think is referring to the idea you can send that signal to an external mixer with either a built in power amp or a separate power amp, or speakers with built in amplifiers. The LINE OUT should just be the signal but not have any power to drive speakers on its own.

But definitely don't plug the SPEAKER OUT into a powered speaker! That would not be good!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Yes, from what I understand only the SPEAKER OUT will cut off the amp's speaker, but the LINE OUT acts like a separate feed to another mixer or powered speaker. So you should hear both the amp itself and then that "mix" from your amp will get sent to the external powered speaker(s). The part about the line out being powered by an amp I think is referring to the idea you can send that signal to an external mixer with either a built in power amp or a separate power amp, or speakers with built in amplifiers. The LINE OUT should just be the signal but not have any power to drive speakers on its own.

But definitely don't plug the SPEAKER OUT into a powered speaker! That would not be good!
Got it. The LINE OUT only has one 1/4 plug. So, to use two powered external speakers, the speakers would have to connect to each other vs some kind of splitter output plug from amp, right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification