The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 AM

Default Why did Rainsong discontinue the studio series?

I just bought one second hand and when looking for specs, i noticed on their website it was discontinued, so i was wondering why.

rainsong s-OM1000N2 is the one i have.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylinerCapri View Post
I just bought one second hand and when looking for specs, i noticed on their website it was discontinued, so i was wondering why.

rainsong s-OM1000N2 is the one i have.
I have had good success contacting their (seemingly) knowledgeable staff from the 'contact' area of their website. I expect they would be up front about reasons, and provide specs.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM

I contacted them through their website. Just figured if id ask if anybody knew on here.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Just guessing - it is good to change up the products, keeps the line fresh. I think their studio series featured their Fine Texture finish, without other embellishments, to keep the cost down. Kind of what they are currently doing with their current CH line.

The current CH-OM is pretty much the Shorty, which is similar to the the Studio Series OM, but with a 12-fret neck.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Like any product, they can only build -- and ask dealers to stock -- so many different models. When a newer line is developed, the old ones disappear. Tried to buy a brand new 2012 Chevy at a dealership lately?

Or maybe they didn't sell as well as the other series. I had a PMJ-1000 bought on clearance in the mid 2000's that had laminated wood body and neck with a CF weave top. Good guitars that just didn't survive in the marketplace at the price point.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Just guessing - it is good to change up the products, keeps the line fresh. I think their studio series featured their Fine Texture finish, without other embellishments, to keep the cost down. Kind of what they are currently doing with their current CH line.

The current CH-OM is pretty much the Shorty, which is similar to the the Studio Series OM, but with a 12-fret neck.
I got a reply from Rainsong.. You were on the right track with your reply thanks.

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

The two key differences between the Studio Series and the Hybrid Series were the fine textured finish and the gig bag instead of the hard case. More customers chose to go with the gloss finish and the hard case of the Hybrid Series so we discontinued the Studio Series. For specs you can look at the H-OM1000N2.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Dave
Old 02-28-2018, 03:38 PM

Dave is a good guy... here he is 2 years ago at Winter NAMM being interviewed ...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-28-2018, 04:02 PM

Dave is a good guy. Both times I've called Rainsong with questions (no problems) he was very helpful and informative.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:45 PM

As someone who has a Rainsong with the RTF finish I can assure you that the new satin finish is considerably nicer.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber