The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be due to the deep neck profile, or is it probably due to something else.
Yes, I've experienced it and I've read comments from others indicating the same problems. I bought a Rainsong (Black Ice WS1000N2) the summer before last from our local GC, but had to return it due to the chunky, uncomfortable neck. I actually ordered the same model with the N1 neck when I returned the original guitar, but ended up canceling that order after 6 weeks because they said it would take a month and I had shows to play.

The guitar sounded good, (and should have for $2,500!), but the neck was just not right for me. I found the neck to be shaped very crudely and seemed very amateurish - no redeeming ergonomic qualities. I thought I could get used to it, but I gave up after a few weeks.

You might want to try out the N1 neck if you can still get them. I think I'd buy another Rainsong in a minute if they could make a neck profile that was more in line with any of the thinner profiles offered by companies like Martin and Taylor, with Martin's "low oval" being my favorite.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Being the owner of a Shorty, it is a unique neck but not mind-blowing different. The first electric that I owned was very similar in feel but was more of a C than a U profile.

I like the neck but that it has taken some adjusting. The more I play it the more I get used to it. For me, the catch is how I position the guitar and my hands. I also plan on lowering the action a bit more when I do my next string change (although you RainSong owners already know that there isn't much saddle material to the brand specs). I'm using a Neck-Up and where the strap high when standing with the guitar at about a 45 angle and I do not play anything that requires me to wrap my thumb around the top of the neck. This helps me navigate the neck much better and is better for my posture anyway, and these adjustments are more necessary when playing fingerstyle passages or material requiring wide stretches than just playing chords in the first position. If there is one thing I do notice, playing barre chords is more difficult than playing anything else- but again, that is true on every other neck I've played.

I'm enjoying the guitar quite a bit- for me the neck isn't an issue and I actually think the neck positively contributes to the guitar's tone, and it has a truss rod. Thanks RainSong!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm going to pay extra attention to how I position the guitar. My only other complaint has been the sharp corner around the top of the guitar. It makes my forearm hurt after a while, but this could also be alleviated by adjusting my positioning.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 08-30-2015, 10:07 AM

See below the history of the N2 which is not longer on the Rainsong website. To me it demonstrates that you should never take acoustic guitar advice from a "Joker and a Space Cowboy" lol. Was at an outdoor park event this weekend and played my Jumbo worked very well. Again Rainsong makes awesome guitars but unfortunately if your going to have one neck option pays to make it middle of the road profile?

"The N2 neck is a result of an extensive, long-term collaboration with the renowned artist Steve Miller and Master Luthier John Bolin. The neck design is based on a modified "U" profile that has been popular in guitars since the 1950s. While the N2 has a more substantial feel than the original RainSong 6-string neck, it is ergonomically sound and actually results in better transfer of string vibration energy to the soundboard. The N2 features a truss rod that is accessible from the head stock. Graphite does not warp or bow with changes in humidity and temperature. The purpose of a truss rod in the N2 is to allow customization of the relief to suit individual preferences."
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
... and actually results in better transfer of string vibration energy to the soundboard.
This makes physical sense even more on the NS neck since there is less string tension. I don't feel the guitar suffers from a thinner tone while simultaneously remaining shorter scale. Still, I completely understand why it may have been cumbersome on the RS Parlor that you sold. Certainly the neck is not for everybody and the "Joker and Space Cowboy" bit is amusing

I gotta tell you, if I ever actually get my hands on an L13 and it can tonally compete with the Shorty and I like the neck better, I might be joining the "considering selling" camp.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

The Rainsong N1 Neck feels initially more comfortable to me until I make a thumb-fretted bar chord (F-major shape) and lose some leverage on the top two strings, which can become a bit muffled. With the RainSong N2 Neck, it feels noticeably fuller and a bit clunkier until I do the same thumb-fretted, bar chord (F-major shape), and every string remains well-fretted and clean sounding. If I stay with the N2 Neck for awhile it feels comfortable.YMMV.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM

I have a slightly different problem with the neck on my Shorty. The edges, where the neck meets the fretboard are too sharp! My fretting hand often gets creases in it after an extended playing session. Sometimes it is not bad, but sometimes it is rather uncomfortable. I have had 10-15 acoustic guitars come in and out of my life and this is the only guitar I've ever had that problem with!

I have thought about rolling the edge with an emery board, but not sure how the carbon fiber would react to sandpaper.

Anyone else have that issue?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:15 PM

The
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahill View Post
I have a slightly different problem with the neck on my Shorty. The edges, where the neck meets the fretboard are too sharp! My fretting hand often gets creases in it after an extended playing session. Sometimes it is not bad, but sometimes it is rather uncomfortable. I have had 10-15 acoustic guitars come in and out of my life and this is the only guitar I've ever had that problem with!

I have thought about rolling the edge with an emery board, but not sure how the carbon fiber would react to sandpaper.

I suspect this is still a result of the full U which fills your hand and causes more pressure on the edges. I feel something similar but with my slimmer McKnight the neck rests comfortably inside my hand not really touching my finger-thumbs till I want it to? Hard to explain such things in words.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahill View Post

I've seen this issue come up before too, and I agree with it. There's a thread on another popular carbon fiber guitar forum about it. I don't know if we're allowed to post links to other forums, but just google "rainsong sharp fretboard edges" and you'll find it.

In fact, I have a similar issue with the actual top of the guitar having kind of a sharp edge that digs into my forearm after prolonged playing sessions. Again, I'm sure this could be alleviated by adjusting my playing position, but whenever I try to adjust my positioning, I just end up reverting to my same ol' position after a few minutes. Old habits die hard.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-02-2015, 03:46 PM

The thread I referenced also discusses specific potential issues with rolling the fretboard. The main concern would be that carbon fiber isn't a solid material that is uniform. It's many layers of weaved threads. If you file too deep, it will cut into the weave and you'll be left with "frayed" edges, for lack of a better term.

Also, you'd probably need some pretty sharp tools to even make a dent in it. CF is strong stuff. Another thing to keep in mind, carbon fiber dust can be very dangerous. Proceed with caution.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-02-2015, 05:09 PM

I assumed we were talking about the fretboard edge. The fretboard I think is manmade material not CF and probably could be sanded?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 PM

We are talking about the fretboard edge, meaning where the CF that's wrapped around the back of the neck meets the fretboard itself. So there is CF in that part, and could potentially cause problems if you were to sand it down.

I think a few people in that other thread refer to fretboard radius, which is an entirely different thing. I think all of us in this thread are talking about the same thing.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
We are talking about the fretboard edge, meaning where the CF that's wrapped around the back of the neck meets the fretboard itself. So there is CF in that part, and could potentially cause problems if you were to sand it down.

I think a few people in that other thread refer to fretboard radius, which is an entirely different thing. I think all of us in this thread are talking about the same thing.
I hear you, and yes that edge before the fretboard is the issue that makes the neck a modified U. I too thought if you could just sand this it would be a easy fix but as pointed out it's CF weave and you really can't.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 PM

I thought I'd throw my two cents in on the conversation. I just took delivery of a Rainsong APLE yesterday. After reading all the posts on the N2 neck, I was hesitant at first to try this guitar. Granted, I've only had time to play it for less than an hour so far, but I don't have any problem with the neck on this guitar. Yes it is a different shape than the necks on my Taylor 12-string and Greven 000, but it's comfortable and quite playable. I don't wrap my thumb around to fret the low E string on any of my guitars (arthritis in my thumb), so that's not an issue for me as some others have mentioned.

Otherwise, I really like the guitar. It looks nice, plays well, the pickup system sounds good through my amp. It has a nice bottom end acoustically as well as amplified. I do plan on changing strings however. The Elixir 80:20s it came with are a bit too bright for my taste. All in all I'm pleased with the guitar. It is a nice addition to my small collection.

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Guest 720

Still playing mine a few hours tonight, loving it, and no neck issues at all. I too am used to the Taylor neck, and while it is different, it is minor to me. I can easily see my Rainsong getting most play time as it sits out right in the family room in easy reach. Great to take it outside as well with no worries.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber