The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I wouldn't base a purchase just on the opinions here, but if enough people seem to have similar experiences it can be useful. I like the tone of the GE's that I've played, but the mod V neck would take some getting used to for me. And the 1 11/16" nut on the V was always a bit of a turn off for me. It seems that the new standard kind of got all the specs right for my tastes, I guess I was just curious about the execution.

It's also interesting to consider a recorded shoot out between a rosewood guitar and a hog one, as one oft cited virtue of hog is that it records well... I sort of wonder how that would shake out in the shoot out.
Great point. Although we sell a ton of guitars long distance we also have a healthy walk in business so I get to see first hand how folks react to guitars and without a doubt feel plays a huge part in an in-store purchase.

Out of the three guitars discussed I prefer the tone of the D-18GE but might opt for the D-18 based on feel if I were shopping for a Mahogany/Spruce dread. Better yet I might just order a custom D-18GE with the exact specs I prefer.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM

I've owned the pre-2012 D-18, the GE (now sold) and Authentic (now sold) at the same time.
The Authentic was by far the biggest sounding, most volume across the strings and most responsive. Better balanced than the GE which was a little bass heavy in comparison to the trebles. However being Adirondack topped guitars they were both fairly bright, sometimes bordering on harsh to my ears. I do occasionally miss my Authentic just for the power it had.

I still have my pre-2012 D-18 as I preferred the warmer more direct sound as opposed to the reverberating brightness of the GE and Authentic (and needed to sell some guitars off to make way for something more suited to my taste).

I'd imagine the new D-18 would sound slightly warmer than both the GE and Authentic thanks to the Sitka top, but I'd still prefer the pre-2012 straight braced guitar if I had to choose (I've played about 4 new D-18s but never against a GE or Authentic).
Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I would caution you not to rely on others who also may have not played these guitars side by side. Even if they did, your memory of these guitars, however brief the experience, is probably more useful than random opinions. Same goes for videos that are not direct side by side comparisons. Videos recorded days, weeks, or even years apart are of little use as comparison tools.

Sorry I'm not more help.
I'll disagree on the videos comment. Well-recorded videos produced in a real studio with professional gear are very valuable as comparison tools. If the entire signal chain remains constant, the microphones don't know if the 2 guitars your recording were played 60 seconds apart or 6 days apart. If a listener finds 2 videos online recorded by the same person with the same gear, all one needs to do is open 2 YouTube windows on their computer and you have an instant side-by-side. Its not like there's a magic that happens if both guitars are videotaped without turning off the camera in-between takes.

Recording both guitars back to back isn't what's important. Listening to them back to back is the key.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I wouldn't base a purchase just on the opinions here, but if enough people seem to have similar experiences it can be useful. I like the tone of the GE's that I've played, but the mod V neck would take some getting used to for me. And the 1 11/16" nut on the V was always a bit of a turn off for me. It seems that the new standard kind of got all the specs right for my tastes, I guess I was just curious about the execution.

It's also interesting to consider a recorded shoot out between a rosewood guitar and a hog one, as one oft cited virtue of hog is that it records well... I sort of wonder how that would shake out in the shoot out.
GE's do not have 1-11/16" nuts, they are 1-3/4"......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Hi Dave,
I haven't seen that term before, "cut"... is that what is sometimes referred to as projection?
BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
...The Authentics get beyond that (as do the pre-wars) because they have the meat, the bottom, that the D-28 is known/admired for, plus the cut the D-18 is known for. However, my contention is and has always been that a "good" D-28 does also have cut to go with the famous bottom end.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
GE's do not have 1-11/16" nuts, they are 1-3/4"......
I thought he meant the 1 11/16" on the D-18V, no?
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I thought he meant the 1 11/16" on the D-18V, no?
Yup... i was commenting on the Modified V neck on the D-18GE and the 1 1/16" nut on the D-18V

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Hi Dave,
I haven't seen that term before, "cut"... is that what is sometimes referred to as projection?
BD
I use that, as I have heard it used over the decades, as the qualities historically attributed to the reasons some people (not me) generalize and say "the D-28 is full and good for rhythm, while the D-18 is good for lead because of its cut (or clarity or punch)".

I am of the opinion that a good D-28 basically has the qualities of a good D-18, yet expands on those qualities. Not that it's a trade-off.

Projection, I think, would be a useful alternate description, although as we all know - describing sound in a way that is meaningful to all people in all ways is a lot like herding cats.

IMO, the people who say a D-18 is better for lead than a D-28 simply have not played enough of the right D-28's. Listen to the audio below.

Cherokee Shuffle by 3 D-28 (or D-28 type) guitars

Last edited by kydave; 10-26-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Not necessarily the same thing, probably related though. "Cut" would refer to the ability of a guitar to "cut through" a mix or ensemble... the ability to be heard amid numerous voices. I feel that it's a combination of volume, focus (i.e. strong fundamental), articulation, and a bit of a sparkle (possibly even a certain harshness) in the treble.

A solo D-35 might be able to project to the back of the room as well or better than a D-18, but a D-18 (or a archtop jazz box, or a Selmer, etc.) are more suited to rising above and cutting through other instruments and maintaining a clarity in the process absent with something as rich and overtoney as a D-35, or many D-28s. The sort of cliche is that rosewood guitars tend to blend in better, and thus make more suitable rhythm guitars, while hog tends to make a better lead instrument. All things, of course, are relative these are merely generalizations. Plenty of folks have used rosewood guitars over the years to play lead, and vice versa.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The new D-18 (post 2012) has the same inner construction as the D-18V and sounds extremely similar to it, if not identcal. They are warm and thick compared to the bright and chimey D-18GE and it's adirondack top. Here are a couple of recent videos we've produced, if you're interested.

D-18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft3pkIlBjGg&sns=em

D-18GE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSW_v43XAJU&sns=em
Wow, A discernible difference in these 2, at least to my ears. The sound of the D-18 makes me wish I was a dreadnaught guy.....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
IMO, the people who say a D-18 is better for lead than a D-28 simply have not played enough of the right D-28's. Listen to the audio below.

Cherokee Shuffle by 3 D-28 (or D-28 type) guitars

I liked the Kendric the best in this video, followed by Andy Falco's Martin. Josh Williams made it look easy... smooth, stoic, and in control.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
...If a listener finds 2 videos online recorded by the same person with the same gear, all one needs to do is open 2 YouTube windows on their computer and you have an instant side-by-side...
That's a big "if" Maury. Folks are always looking to improve their recordings so it's unlikely all the variables would remain the same for long. As such I would find it difficult to direct customers looking for a true side-by-side comparison to a bank of YouTube videos just as I would find it hard to ignore their emails if the info they seek is already posted on my FAQ page. I know that doing both would save me money but to me selling guitars is all about personal interaction and my clients seem to appreciate the extra effort.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Folks are always looking to improve their recordings so it's unlikely all the variables would remain the same for long.
Good point.

Quote:
As such I would find it difficult to direct customers looking for a true side-by-side comparison to a bank of YouTube videos
I appreciate the way you do it (on request) for a couple of reasons. First, I get to hear the actual guitars you have in stock. Not different guitars with the same name/designation. Second, you'll have the same person playing the same thing . . . . many videos have either different players, or they aren't playing the same thing.

And even if a player does play the same thing for all videos, I imagine it's easier to play closer to "exactly the same" when done back to back then when days or weeks apart.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
That's a big "if" Maury. Folks are always looking to improve their recordings so it's unlikely all the variables would remain the same for long. As such I would find it difficult to direct customers looking for a true side-by-side comparison to a bank of YouTube videos just as I would find it hard to ignore their emails if the info they seek is already posted on my FAQ page. I know that doing both would save me money but to me selling guitars is all about personal interaction and my clients seem to appreciate the extra effort.
Its a big if if you say "go to YouTube". I don't find it difficult to direct customers to my bank of quality YouTube videos that I produced.

I agree that selling guitars is about personal interaction. We strive to fill our website with as much knowledge and information as possible. Anyone who contacts us looking for advice or more information is met with honest advice from a player's point of view... and we too are happy to say that our customers appreciate our extra efforts as well. Win-win.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Good point.

I appreciate the way you do it (on request) for a couple of reasons. First, I get to hear the actual guitars you have in stock. Not different guitars with the same name/designation. Second, you'll have the same person playing the same thing . . . . many videos have either different players, or they aren't playing the same thing.

And even if a player does play the same thing for all videos, I imagine it's easier to play closer to "exactly the same" when done back to back then when days or weeks apart.
Thanks for the kind words. Our "by request" videos have been well received and I'm sure it wont be long before others follow suit. FYI the idea came from Tevis, the pro musician that helps out in the showroom. After spending some time here getting to know our clients and how we interact with them, she felt offering "by request" videos featuring the actual guitars customers were interested in was more inline with our style than simply recording random guitars in random styles. I couldn't agree more. As we did with you we like to play several guitars side-by-side hopefully including one you are familiar with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion