The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM

Default Rainsong hybrid J1000N2??

Hi all,
I'm having an uncontrollable urge to sell all my guitars and get a Rainsong guitar after getting to play both a Rainsong Shorty and a CO-JM1000.
I really love the warmth and price of the unidirectional top + hybrid body on the Shorty but I'm leaning towards the big piano-like tone and volume of the Jumbo..
I seriously think there are many people like me in the market wanting a traditional non-cutaway bigger body guitar like a Jumbo or dreadnought with the unidirectional top + hybrid body on the Shorty and hoping to keep the price point not much more than $2000.
The Shorty line of guitars are truly a winner.. Now if only there is any chance of a unidirectional top + hybrid body, Jumbo or dread body.. I'd pay a 100% deposit to customize/secure it now!
So.. any chance that I'll see it in near future NAMMs??

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM

One, I totally know where you are coming from. I actually was playing my Rainsong Parlor this morning thinking similar thoughts. I was wondering if I was ever going to play my JM1000 BI, again let alone my wood guitars. (Getting old for that beast) Bottom line I am sure you can work with LA Guitars Sales or MacNickel Guitars and order what you want. There is a custom build JM1000 going on right now on the Carbon Guitar Forum. Rainsong is even giving pictures of the build, very cool. I sold one guitar last week, could be a trend, we will see. These combinations are so woodlike now, feather light, super stong, and the quality so high: I really wonder how wood can compete? In the Parlor, travel arena their only advantage to me is wood is cheaper.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 05-02-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
There is a custom build JM1000 going on right now on the Carbon Guitar Forum. Rainsong is even giving pictures of the build, very cool.

Doubleneck,

More on this please. Do you have a link?

Thank you.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
.More on this please. Do you have a link?
http://macnichol.com/forum-post/6195

You might want to contact Michael at MacNichol Guitars or Ted at LA Guitar Sales (two AGF sponsors who have stellar reputations - I bought my CA GX from MacNichol) to see if a custom order like you're looking for is possible.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babigila View Post
Hi all,
I'm having an uncontrollable urge to sell all my guitars and get a Rainsong guitar after getting to play both a Rainsong Shorty and a CO-JM1000.
I really love the warmth and price of the unidirectional top + hybrid body on the Shorty but I'm leaning towards the big piano-like tone and volume of the Jumbo..
I seriously think there are many people like me in the market wanting a traditional non-cutaway bigger body guitar like a Jumbo or dreadnought with the unidirectional top + hybrid body on the Shorty and hoping to keep the price point not much more than $2000.
The Shorty line of guitars are truly a winner.. Now if only there is any chance of a unidirectional top + hybrid body, Jumbo or dread body.. I'd pay a 100% deposit to customize/secure it now!
So.. any chance that I'll see it in near future NAMMs??

Thanks
I'm a huge fan of the hybrid unidirectional combo, in fact it was first used on a custom run we did a few years ago and it's also being used on our current customs but I'm not sure you would gain much by switching the body to the hybrid material. Still, if Rainsong was willing to build you one it would be fun to try.

Quote:

Doubleneck,

More on this please. Do you have a link?

Thank you.

From what I can see the custom on Mike's site is a simple JM1000 with a unidirectional top, a CO-JM1000 like this one. We've been ordering them this way for a while and it's an awesome guitar.

BTW, thanks to Lisa's suggestion (I think it was Lisa) I ordered a 12-fret short scale version of our CO-JM1000, a CO-JM1000NS, which is the first ever 12-Fret Jumbo from Rainsong. It came in the other day but the store has been swamped so I didn't have time to try it or even photograph it. I'll be back in the shop on Monday and let you guys know what I think.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM

babigila,

I own a Shorty and have owned/played other older RainSong guitars. I have to agree that the new hybrid approach is a winner. The one model that I have not personally played is the Black Ice... I am very curious how they sound when compared to the hybrid construction.

I am also VERY interested in a larger body RainSong guitar... a Dread or Jumbo--however, I would really like to have a cut-away.

Lastly, would love a road trip of some kind so I could try out the Emerald Chimaera double-neck acoustic! (I never thought I would want one until I saw it... and then, DANG IT!)

Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
babigila,

I own a Shorty and have owned/played other older RainSong guitars. I have to agree that the new hybrid approach is a winner. The one model that I have not personally played is the Black Ice... I am very curious how they sound when compared to the hybrid construction.

I am also VERY interested in a larger body RainSong guitar... a Dread or Jumbo--however, I would really like to have a cut-away.

Lastly, would love a road trip of some kind so I could try out the Emerald Chimaera double-neck acoustic! (I never thought I would want one until I saw it... and then, DANG IT!)

It is interesting that I own all the guitars you are talking about in some form.

1. The Rainsong Parlor - Smaller version of your Shorty. I agree with you this hybrid - CO top just works.

2. Black- Ice JM 1000. I really think this is a very cool cosmetic treatment of the standard weave but sounds similar. I do think in person it breaks up the "industrial" look of the standard weave and is worth it for that.

3. Chimaera double neck. Guitar of my dreams, Doublenecks by their nature have to be a series of compromises, noone has has made all those choices better than Alistair on this one. In total creation an outstanding achievement.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
but I'm not sure you would gain much by switching the body to the hybrid material.
Hello Ted, excuse my obliviousness, but i'm just trying to understand what you meant here... Are you thinking the tonal change won't be as drastic using the hybrid material on the Jumbo body? The hybrid material is only used on the body, correct?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks and much appreciated for all the advice and information guys!!
Just got a reply from Rainsong service apparently they have no plans for unidirectional + hybrid bigger body shapes yet..
Meanwhile, I'm gonna think very hard which guitar to get, the Shorty or a H-DR1100N2.. hmm..
Bb L13 - sold
Yamaha FG700S (broken, not forgotten)
Fernandes Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber