The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
A word is simply a word, and if that word is able to ruin your own perspective and enjoyment of a particular instrument, I do believe that there's something else at play. I now own two inexpensive laminated guitars (LS6 & LL6) that I really love. Now, call them cheap plywood guitars and see how much that affects my opinion of them. The answer is not a whit....
On a forum all you have are words. I think my concerns with words that are intended to cheapen CF luthiery is that it reflects on a group of builders, I so greatly respect. There are just a handful of them that truly are dedicated to expanding what is possible with alternative materials. They truely are a amazing group and deserve our best. Time to move
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
On a forum all you have are words. I think my concerns with words that are intended to cheapen CF luthiery is that it reflects on a group of builders, I so greatly respect. There are just a handful of them that truly are dedicated to expanding what is possible with alternative materials. They truely are a amazing group and deserve our best. Time to move
True dat, but we both have been around AGF long enough to realize that whatever you say, there will be some who agree and some who disagree with you. As I said previously, this thread was initiated based on something said in reaction to a proposed guitar swap that the majority felt was a very bad idea. I think that arguing about whether plastic and carbon fiber are the same or not, and then getting miffed about the use of the word "plastic" kind of misses the point as to how terrific carbon fiber guitars play and sound. I just don't see that industry being bothered a bit by the use of the "P" word by a couple of AGF members...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
True dat, but we both have been around AGF long enough to realize that whatever you say, there will be some who agree and some who disagree with you. As I said previously, this thread was initiated based on something said in reaction to a proposed guitar swap that the majority felt was a very bad idea. I think that arguing about whether plastic and carbon fiber are the same or not, and then getting miffed about the use of the word "plastic" kind of misses the point as to how terrific carbon fiber guitars play and sound. I just don't see that industry being bothered a bit by the use of the "P" word by a couple of AGF members...
Hello JR,

I agree with your last post. The "use of the 'P' word by a couple of AGF members" may not be bothering the CF industry, . . . but the point that has not been directly referenced is that their use of the word "plastic" is clearly not within the spirit of the AGF's rule #1, which is to "BE NICE!".

With little exception, the small number of members that post using the word "plastic" are using that word in a manner that is clearly not intended to be nice. Their use is not intended to prompt friendly and reasonable debate, and shows very little respect for the opinions of others.

Their use of that word is intended to be demeaning, to prompt arguments, and to label carbon fiber instruments as cheap and having little value.

Would they tell Yo-Yo Ma that the Luis and Clark carbon fiber cello (costing many thousands of dollars) that he plays is made of "plastic", is cheap, and has little value?

They are entitled to have their opinion that the looks, feel, tone or any other aspect of a carbon fiber instrument is not desirable for them. They can express such views in a manner that leads to friendly debate, and the sharing of ideas. But that is not their purpose. They use the "P" word as a thinly disguised insult intended to prompt angered responses.

While I presently only own carbon fiber guitars, I very possibly may own wood guitars in the future. In the past I have owned a Martin, a Taylor and a Gibson. I fully respect wood instruments, their makers, and those that happily own and play them.

Perhaps those that are so fond of the "P" word could show some respect towards those that own and enjoy carbon fiber guitars, and keep in mind the AGF #1 rule of being nice.

Best regards,
Jim K

Last edited by Jim K; 04-22-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM

People that get hung up on Tradition can miss out on many things in life that will one day be, "Tradition".
Personally, I get hung up on Consistency, sound, play-ability, and delving into possibilities. It's what makes the world keep turning.

My 37 year Old D-28 doesn't seem to mind sharing time with my Rainsong, Taylor, Adamas. It seems that "instrument snobs" are mostly ,,,,,,,,,human.

Now where were we........? oh yes,
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM

I've recently purchased a Composite Acoustic OX and really like it. It sounds different than my Collings CJ and different from my Taylor 714 and different from my old Guild D40. Different, but still good. I can now play guitar in my swimming trunks. I can spill beer on it (I'm still going to try to avoid that!). I can play in the hot summer sun. I can leave my guitar in the car on hot or cold days and not have to baby it back to room temperature. I haven 't really found any drawbacks to carbon fibre yet. It's not my favourite guitar, but I am enjoying it. It sounds good and I can take it places I would rather not take my wooden guitars.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike779 View Post
I've recently purchased a Composite Acoustic OX and really like it. It sounds different than my Collings CJ and different from my Taylor 714 and different from my old Guild D40. Different, but still good. I can now play guitar in my swimming trunks. I can spill beer on it (I'm still going to try to avoid that!). I can play in the hot summer sun. I can leave my guitar in the car on hot or cold days and not have to baby it back to room temperature. I haven 't really found any drawbacks to carbon fibre yet. It's not my favourite guitar, but I am enjoying it. It sounds good and I can take it places I would rather not take my wooden guitars.
They can be very liberating. Use my CF for church praise band, can go out to lunch after service leave it in the car any weather no worries. I have used CF so much not it becomes the norm. Just like its sound.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

On one hand, I love tradition. For guitars at or around home, it has to be spruce on top of rosewood or mahogany. It doesn't get much more traditional than that. I've dabbled with other woods, without much success.

But when on extended trips far away from home, I need an instrument that: 1) is compact enough to comfortably carry around; 2) is durable enough to resist bumps, bruises and climate fluctuations; and 3) delivers enough tone to satisfy my tonal palette. And I've come to a realization that only a compact CF guitar can deliver that.

There is a place for both traditional wood and carbon fiber, at least for me. And no one else's opinion changes mine.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM

Owning both wood guitars and cf guitars, I find no reason to badmouth the CF guitars. I only own one, but I have played several Rainsong, CA's and now own an Emerald. The CF guitars to me have their own sound, but I certainly can tell the difference between it and my wood guitars. Other than their price, CF guitars are certainly practical for people worried about humidity issues, etc., but then again, I have heard an all aluminum guitar that sounded terrific, albeit having its own unique sound. I am sure it was pretty indestructible also. Personally, I actually prefer the sound from a couple of my wood guitars, but that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the CF guitars. When things are plugged in, then all sorts of variables come into being including pickups, amps, etc. Straight unamplified acoustic sound, I prefer from my wood guitars, but then again, look how many folks prefer a certain wood guitar over another wood guitar. Just enjoy the instrument. I only have the Emerald X7 OS as a CF guitar, and it sounds fine, albeit quite bright and its own tone. Just enjoy whatever guitar you find that sounds good.
Parkwood PW-340 FM-E spruce/maple
Guild GAD 30 PCE...spruce/padauk
Timberline T-70A/C
Tacoma DR-20
Tacoma DM-9
Guild GAD25
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM

I don't really care, I love my Rainsong. Plays like a dream, don't have to baby it like a nice wood guitar, and sounds fantastic. Was playing with a visiting worship leader recently and he asked me from afar, as he heard my Rainsong through the house, what is that, a taylor? Sounds fantastic! All I needed to hear. The thing is awesome. I love my wood guitars as much as everyone else, but I have sold to many because they were too pretty to play and I constantly was worried about them getting damaged on stage or in transit ( heat, etc).

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber