The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
...Will also try to find a V22 locally and plug a Gretsch in for a spin. The price is right (if I can lift it without throwing my back out)...
Precisely why I'm looking at a head/bottom setup - a bit more expensive than a combo (the V22 is heavy, BTW - with the replacement Swamp Thang speaker mine scales in at 53 pounds - but they're built like tanks) but you have the advantage of being able to distribute the weight. FYI the V22 is available as a head (interestingly enough, for the same price as the combo), and there's also the G20 box (Marshall-type) head, which offers more control over gain/tone parameters for a bit less money; unfortunately the excellent 112TS 1x12" 80W cabinet has been discontinued (the larger/heavier 212TS is still available), but one of these should make a good match:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...erm=jet%20city

FYI it's also available at 20% off for Columbus Day, so you might want to call MF and see if they can put together a package deal - and for those in the market for a scaled-down Gretsch, they're also running the G5657T "Tiny Tennie" for $649 this weekend:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...-jr-single-cut

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:04 PM

The CS-336 is a fantastic instrument, I have one. Because it's body is "tonally carved" from a solid piece of mahogany and its top is solid maple, it can sound very clear and articulate. Some think that tone-wise it lies between a 335 and a Les Paul. I would agree. Its size is very convenient for an averaged sized player

The other dual humbucker guitar I would recommend trying is the Gibson SG. It is smaller and more comfortable in my opinion than a Les Paul and it can excel at just about any type of music. And they sound great sound with either P-90 or humbucker pickups. The SGs are a whole lot of Gibson bang for you buck. There is a reason why it is their most popular model, Certain models also come in other colors besides red if you are worried about the horned aesthetic in church.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:50 PM

Well, I’m still looking and thinking. I went out last Wednesday and looked at several PRS. Two stood out, a Vella and a semi hollow custom 22. Went with a buddy. We were both highly impressed with the custom 22. It seemed like you could dial in about any sound you wanted. A lot of money and I needed to think about it. They sold it to someone else by Saturday.

I’m still thinking about one, but it also has me thinking about a Hollowbody II or maybe one of the new SE hollowbodies. They look very good and very affordable.

I was amazed at how much I liked the Vella. Untill I heard it I would not have thought about a single coil neck/humbuckers bridge pickup. Got me wondering how a p90 neck/humbuckers bridge would sound.

I am also still considering a CS/ES-3x6. Would consider a Johnny A signature but I just can’t get excited about a Bigsby.

Trust the Process.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-22-2019, 03:38 AM

I haven’t had any luck with Epiphone either, but in the es-339 category I would look at offerings by Yamaha and especially Ibanez if you can find them. In my neck of the woods Gretsch is available but none of them are made in Korea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars