The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong WS Nashville LE2

When I started looking into CF guitars, I really wanted to go with a Rainsong wood top, but a combination of small items kept me from pulling the trigger. Of course a few months after picking up my X7, they came out with the WS Nashville LE2. The features that drew me to this guitar are:

- WS size
- wood top
- satin finish
- great price

I managed to find a guitar shop that had a half dozen Rainsongs (some OM and some WS) so I had some idea of what I was looking for. While my "perfect" list would have included a 12 fret neck, this guitar came so close I couldn't pass it up. In addition, Dave at Rainsong was kind enough to swap out the electronics for a Stage Pro Anthem instead of the Element with almost no notice and I picked it up at their shop because I happened to be in town.

It will take me some time to to fully get a feel for the guitar, but my initial impressions include:

- it sounds great (somewhere between my X7 and my Martin D15M for warmth and volume)
- the neck shape works fine for me (I guess I'm not super picky about neck shapes)
- the satin finish is gorgeous and makes the neck so nice to play; yes it will pick up oils, etc. easier than a gloss finish, but it looks and feels so good I don't care
- I definitely play it more than my other 2 guitars

Overall, it will take me another month or so to make a final decision, but I expect my X7 will be looking for a new home at some point in the future from lack of use.

Here are a couple photos showing both the X7 and the Rainsong next to each other (they are both on the same type of stand).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guitars_front_small.jpg (48.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg guitars_side_small.jpg (54.6 KB, 228 views)
2023 Rainsong WS Nashville LE2
Old 09-23-2023, 06:19 AM

Congrats, that's a beauty! Did you get the N1 or N2 neck?

I looked hard at one of the LE2, and if it had been OM instead of WS would likely have pulled the trigger.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks new2guitar_eh.

It's the N2 neck. I'll probably never need to adjust it, but I felt more comfortable having the option for the future and I think all the ones I played at the guitar shop were N2 necks which worked fine for me. I might add, I'm terrible at the thumb over thing, so I pretty much never do it...so that might be one of the reasons I don't notice too much difference in the necks of the 3 guitars I have.

FWIW, out of the case, the relief is pretty minimal (low E string measures about .006 at the 6th fret, with a capo on the first fret and finger on the 12th), which my simple gauge says is a pretty standard "electric guitar" relief.

The action is a little high for me out of the box. I did get a replacement saddle to see if I can try to lower it, but I haven't messed with that yet. It is pretty easy to play as is, so I haven't taken the time.

Last edited by mbroz; 09-23-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:15 AM

Congrats on the new guitar! She’s a beauty! I really like the look of the Nashville series with the tobacco burst finish on the wood top. I have a classic WS1000 with the plain carbon weave top.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Markcarl.

I got a little paranoid about protecting the front and ended up adding a stick on pickguard from Stewmac. I picked the tortoise pattern , but bought all 3 options (tortoise, black, and clear) to see what they would look like. I think I got lucky with the pattern being mostly solid (dark) on the part near the neck, with the lower part being more clear/light colored just like the guitar.

FWIW, it was pretty easy to cut with scissors to match the outline of the guitar. I smoothed the edges and buffed the gloss out to match the satin finish using sandpaper pads also from Stewmac.

Also, Dave from Rainsong let me know he thought it would stick fine despite being a satin finish, which was nice to know before I tried it.

Before and After photos attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS_BeforePGSmall.jpg (31.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg RS_AfterPGCloseUpSmall.jpg (40.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg RS_AfterPGSmall.jpg (26.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 05:48 PM

Looks fantastic. I bet that it has a nice warm tone with that spruce infused carbon top. Love my concert-OM shorty. Rainsong makes some really nice sounding, responsive guitars.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroz View Post
Thanks Markcarl.

I got a little paranoid about protecting the front and ended up adding a stick on pickguard from Stewmac. I picked the tortoise pattern , but bought all 3 options (tortoise, black, and clear) to see what they would look like. I think I got lucky with the pattern being mostly solid (dark) on the part near the neck, with the lower part being more clear/light colored just like the guitar.

FWIW, it was pretty easy to cut with scissors to match the outline of the guitar. I smoothed the edges and buffed the gloss out to match the satin finish using sandpaper pads also from Stewmac.

Also, Dave from Rainsong let me know he thought it would stick fine despite being a satin finish, which was nice to know before I tried it.

Before and After photos attached.
Wow!! Looks awesome! I like the pickguard on it. Congrats!
Old 09-28-2023, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I too worried about scratching the front of my carbon fiber guitars and purchased some clear kling-on material and fashioned some pick guards. They do the job and are almost invisible. Here's my Rainsong WS with clear pick guard...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3652.jpg (40.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

@RP - that looks great...almost can't see it. I wasn't sure the static cling version would stick well to the satin finish very well, so I reluctantly went with the adhesive type.

@Emile640 - it does have nice tone; while I haven't played them back to back, it seems a little warmer than the WS or OM Vintage I played at the music store. That said, I liked the sound in all of those as well.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default New Strings and Saddle

Just a quick update:
- I replaced the stock strings this week with a set of Martin Retro Acoustic Light Monel (12-54s) replacing the stock Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 Light 12-53s.
- While I was at it, I replaced the stock saddle with a replacement from Graphtech (Model 9200 Acoustic Saddle Compensated L71.12mm (2.8")) based on Dave's input from Rainsong.

The stock saddle was a little off from what I like (high E string was a little low (maybe .06 or less at the 12th fret), and the other strings were a little high (somewhere around .09 or slightly higher). I managed to get it closer to "low medium" settings that run .08 to .07 (low E to high E) with some fun hand sanding and a special jig to keep the bottom flat in the process. Time consuming, but the end result is an improvement for me...probably not as good as a skilled luthier, but it is easier to play now, no buzz, and the piezo still seems pretty balanced as well when plugged in (as much as I could tell anyway).
For what it's worth, I think the nut slot on the high E is low from the factory, so that had some contributing factor to the original setup...obviously, saddle adjustments can't correct nut setup very much. For clarity, I think my gage set recommends .020, .018. and .016 action at the first fret (low strings to high), and now I'm getting .018 to .016, and then all the way down to .010 for the high E. That said, it doesn't buzz and I don't find it causes problems with chords on the first few frets, so I'm not worried about it.

As far as the new strings go, they are brighter than the previous Elixir set to me. I feel like the guitar has a pretty warm tone naturally, and the strings seem to enhance the sound without it turning too bright/thin sounding (to my ears), so I'm happy with the Monels. I did pick up (at the same time) a set of Martin Acoustic Lifespan 2.0 P/B Lights, so that will be my next experiment a while down the road.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Mbroz, that is one gorgeous Rainsong. Congrats! I wish my plain black Rainsong looked like that.
Enjoy and play in good health!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Joe. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I very much enjoy how it plays, sounds, and looks.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Joe. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but I very much enjoy how it plays, sounds, and looks.
mbroz, is this a model with the spruce infused top?

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 12-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Joe - yes; it was the last "limited edition" model just before Rainsong announced closing it's doors. So, spruce & carbon top, plus some cosmetic add-ons like the matte finish, carbon pattern on sides and back, and pinstriping.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Joe - yes; it was the last "limited edition" model just before Rainsong announced closing it's doors. So, spruce & carbon top, plus some cosmetic add-ons like the matte finish, carbon pattern on sides and back, and pinstriping.
That's what I thought. Wow the last one, that's pretty cool. I really hope someone comes and takes over Rainsong.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber