The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Default LR Baggs passive PU installed with Fishman onboard preamp..

I have gotten the LR Baggs passive pickup installed with the Fishman onboard stuff.....I get no volume until past 5 ?? I have to crank the volume to 10 to get much out of it ?? Sounds ok but looks like I'm still gonna need some oomph from somewhere !! lol....Any ideas Maestros ??
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokerjoe34 View Post
I have gotten the LR Baggs passive pickup installed with the Fishman onboard stuff.....I get no volume until past 5 ?? I have to crank the volume to 10 to get much out of it ?? Sounds ok but looks like I'm still gonna need some oomph from somewhere !! lol....Any ideas Maestros ??
There is more than one LR Baggs pickup. Which one it is may reveal why the output is low.

If the pickup is either an iBeam or a Ribbon Transducer, connected to a preamp tuned for a hotter pickup signal, the output can be expected to be weak and have a low signal-to-noise ratio. If the pickup is an Element, connected to the lower input impedance of the Fishman preamp, you can expect it to lack bass and therefor apparent volume.

LR Baggs pickups such as the LB-Series and Hex Pickups are more comparable to the passive output level of many Fishman pickups and should be more compatible with the Fishman preamp gain structure.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM

FWIW, B-Mac, I tried a Baggs LB6 with a Fishman Prefix system (in a Taylor 314c) and the LB6 overdrove it severely. I ended up running it passively to an outboard preamp. This served me well (in comparison to what was available at the time) for several years.

You're certainly right about the Element needing a very highy input impedance. I tried preamping a passive Element with a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp (10Mohm input impedance) and got a very trebly result.

With regards to Baggs gear, I currently have Anthem SL systems in two guitars and am very pleased with them.

Gary
Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM

smokerjoe,

If you're getting a clean, well-balanced (tonewise) signal out, any decent outboard preamp should be able to boost it to the needed level.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Yep.....I have an LR Baggs Para DI but was just trying to get away from using it all the time !! Just looking for the best plug & play situation when setup time is critical ??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification