The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Used Bose L1 Classic or new L1 Compact ? How's the reliability with these units ?

I am looking to buy a PA for vocal/acoustic guitar and the occasional birthday party music via iPod .Performing at small venues so either will be plenty loud . I found a L1 Classic ( no bass module ) that has had little use and is for sale for $800 .
I contacted Bose and they no longer support the Classic model . No service or repair is available . What is everyone's experience with reliability with the L1 ?
I would like to have the Classic just in case in the future I would need more volume but the no support worries me .

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

Holy smokes! They don't offer any support for the Classic? I wonder when that started...

I have a Classic, and it's been pretty much trouble-free for me over the past 4 years or so; I bought mine slightly used from Guitar Center and really love it!

One of the Neutrik jacks on my B1 cabinet seems loose... I called Bose and talked with them about it, and the man told me that they'd work on it for me... he also helped me date mine; turns out it's from 2005, which surprised me, but doesn't make any difference... the thing sounds great! It is, without doubt, the smoothest, most well mannered and wonderful sounding PA I have used in my 45 years of performing!

If the unit looks clean and everything works well, I'd go for it... so you know, when they are turned on and up to stage volume, there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXTRA NOISE, not if it's working well... no hiss, no nothing! I used to have mine set-up in my main living space, and I'd go to bed... and then realize that I had left the thing turned on! It really is that quiet...

The Bose User's Forum is a great resource; the moderators all work for Bose and know what they're talking about! Definitely go on there, whichever model you go for.

I have not played through a Compact, but everything I have heard is that they sound okay, but nothing near the "big ones"... I like the Classic because it has 2 line/mic inputs w/ presets on the base unit, as well as 2 line level inputs... when I bought mine, I got one of the Bose T1 Tone Generator/ Mixer units and that little thing is an amazing piece of gear! Does a LOT more than just a little 5 channel mixer... with the T1, I have plenty of inputs if someone wants to "sit in", or if I got involved in a regular duo situation...

I can't hardly believe that Bose won't "support or repair" the Classic... I guess I'll go on over to the Bose Forum and find out what the deal is...

Oh, I wanted to add that Acoustic Pro Musician.com is closing out their Compact units for $750, new with warranty... and they had at least one of the Model II units that was a demo for sale at a great price... check them out!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM

They will give you a discount on a new Bose L1 .
Still haven't made my mind up which route I am going to go . The classic sounds great that's for sure .
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM

My Bose PAS needed service (my fault) and they replaced it with a refurb which
did break and they serviced free of charge. If it can't be fixed I wouldn't buy it as no one will be able to fix it. My friends band has 3 of the original units and I was told that they all broke. I like the Bose system but I think it's a bit overpriced for a Chinese made product.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification