The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default 7 string acoustic guitar

Did a search but string and guitar are such common words. I'm curious if any companies make a lower end (less expensive) standard 7 string acoustic guitar. The seventh string would be lower than the E 6th string. I've never played one. It would be a treat to have that extra low string. Maybe. Depending on how wide the nut has to end up being.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 09-20-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:22 AM

Default Here's one...

https://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEORL...RoC1gsQAvD_BwE
Old 09-20-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Check this thread out.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=446024
Old 09-20-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guitararmy and fingerpicker. I've got homework to do.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 09-20-2020, 07:39 AM

I have a 7 string jumbo for sale currently. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593069 I thought that 7th string would be a treat too. Alas, I was wrong! Between the 2 1/8" nut and 1.5" scale length difference barre chords were very hard to make and required a lot force to get clean sound when fretting especially with hammer-ons and pull-offs from the barre . I had planned to tune it C2 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 and use it play songs using G and B shapes . I'm a Travis style player and wanted the low string for that extra bass, but using it required many new different left hand fingerings. Also The only capo I found that would even begin to cover all 7 strings was kyser mega death grip 12 string capo and even that wouldn't capo past the 3rd fret.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
There’s also this Ibanez model, but it may have been discontinued, as I can’t find it in stock anywhere:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I have a 7 string jumbo for sale currently. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593069 I thought that 7th string would be a treat too. Alas, I was wrong! Between the 2 1/8" nut and 1.5" scale length difference barre chords were very hard to make and required a lot force to get clean sound when fretting especially with hammer-ons and pull-offs from the barre . I had planned to tune it C2 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 and use it play songs using G and B shapes . I'm a Travis style player and wanted the low string for that extra bass, but using it required many new different left hand fingerings. Also The only capo I found that would even begin to cover all 7 strings was kyser mega death grip 12 string capo and even that wouldn't capo past the 3rd fret.
I have an Emerald X20-7 fan-fret in almost exactly the same configuration. I’ve had similar challenges with the extra string - it’s nowhere near as straightforward as you might think.

I’ve come to terms with it now, by treating it as an entirely different instrument. I’m not trying to emulate what I do on a 6-string, but am playing differently. No barre chords, for one thing!

I’ve settled in BEADF#BE for tuning - like a baritone, with a high E. All the regular open chord shapes work, shifted over a string, and that high E provides lots of possibilities for augmentation. A regular capo works nicely as a partial, covering the top 6 strings - at the second fret, it gives a lovely drop-B variant which I can get lost in for hours.

All this to say - don’t give up on that beautiful guitar too soon!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-20-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. As much as I like the sound of a 7 string, I think the neck is going to be too wide for me. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks. As much as I like the sound of a 7 string, I think the neck is going to be too wide for me. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Karen, I think it’s also the sort of instrument that sounds more useful than it actually would be for most players. The people who seem to use seven string guitars in this configuration tend to be serious jazzbos. Jazz guitarists with very analytical minds, at that.

Anyway, that’s all moot if the fingerboard and nut configuration turn out to be wider than are comfortable for you to use.

For a while in the 1980’s I was playing a 1974 Martin 00-21, which was factory stock with a slotted headstock (and crappy tuners) plus a width at the nut of 1 7/8”. The guitar sounded great, but it was pretty uncomfortable to play, frankly. So I sold it for its market value at the time.

Then four years ago I ran across another 1974 00-21, which sounded terrific but the store had it priced at $3,500 - which is more than I had in my wallet, let’s leave it at that.

But the real deal killer, once I thought about it, was the uncomfortable neck and nut width it had. No matter how great a guitar might sound, it’s not going to get played much if it’s physically uncomfortable for its owner to play.

So I think you’ve made a wise decision in that regard.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-22-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Wade for your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion