The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
I’m not generally a NGD post guy but I expect I’ll love it. It’s the second to the last one on tuesdays shipping vid if you follow them on FB
Excellent.

To fill in a little of the detail, nedley really wanted to try out an x20 before ordering one. We are both in Minnesota, and somehow connected. Once I figured out that he wasn't an axe murderer (online search, LinkedIn, and so on) I invited him to my house to try mine.

That resulted in this order, my playing a Cargo and a wonderful ancient Martin, and my dogs ensuring that nedley will never visit again

I love this forum.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I’m not generally a NGD post guy....
Wait...what? What is wrong with me?? I gush over my NGDs and NUGDs and NUCFGDs. I post like their the best thing since sliced bread. Then I see another kind of bread...

I feel so gassy.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Wait...what? What is wrong with me?? I gush over my NGDs and NUGDs and NUCFGDs. I post like their the best thing since sliced bread. Then I see another kind of bread...

I feel so gassy.

Don’t get me wrong, I love reading posts from people who want to share their excitement for a new thing. It can be pretty contagious even.
Please don’t stop.

I guess I’m personally just not a “hey look over here” kind of guy.
I am pretty stoked about my X20 though. I’ve been checking the shipping status every 30 min all day and it’s not even for sure in the US yet.

(When I get a new guitar, I do post a picture of it on an ongoing thread over at umgf that I mostly use just to document what I have, but no real announcement)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 AM

The X20 is a great choice.

It's one of the best acoustic guitars out there.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 AM

The X-20 is one of those great all round guitars if I were to say. Just sayin’..... had mine set up and it plays so nicely... my (and Kindness’s) guitar tech said he was impressed with the build quality and really like the 20... so there is that as a bonus.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM

Something else I ran across the other day - an old blog run by Alistair, in the early days of the "new" emerald company. Cool stuff, and very personal.

http://emeraldguitars.blogspot.com/2009/
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Guest 928

Nedley;

Do you stay up at night in order to make the every 30 minute search?

Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 20 is probably a slow shipper. The 7 is much smaller and seems to just Jetstream its way to home base. The 10 is a little larger, and little slower. Alas, the 20 is bulkier, heaver, and more noticeably by all those handlers who want to see what's inside the big box. It could be worse, you could be waiting for a 30.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Nedley;

Do you stay up at night in order to make the every 30 minute search?

Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 20 is probably a slow shipper. The 7 is much smaller and seems to just Jetstream its way to home base. The 10 is a little larger, and little slower. Alas, the 20 is bulkier, heaver, and more noticeably by all those handlers who want to see what's inside the big box. It could be worse, you could be waiting for a 30.

It arrived on Wednesday. Took 8 days in total from Ireland to MN

Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What better testament to the merits of CF guitars could there be than a photo of one, outside, in a Minnesota snowpocalypse. Love it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Guest 928

And what a beautiful guitar!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 AM

Wow really nice... looks great in that scene.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
What better testament to the merits of CF guitars could there be than a photo of one, outside, in a Minnesota snowpocalypse. Love it
That lovely guitar can handle the snow and cold much better than I can! That photo makes my fingertips and ears hurt (the first things that feel the pain when exposed to the cold).

Thanks for sharing that photo. And reminding me why we chose to live in a sub-tropical climate (although it is cold in the desert right now, where we are visiting).
Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Seriously, I love watching the evolution. I remember being intrigued when Emerald first started getting some attention - but (for me) the aesthetics were a little clumsy, and not especially attractive.

Fast forward to today. My X20 is a great, great guitar. It looks and sounds amazing. It's replaced my 1963 Martin as my go-to guitar.

That took some doing. I love my Martin, but for the first time in nearly 35 years, I'm beginning to question why I'm keeping it.

My hat's off to Alistair and his crew for pursuing, and realizing, their vision.
When Alistair came up with the X20 design vocabulary, it changed the whole Emerald esthetic. It was a brilliant stroke, which has only become more apparent over time, as we've watched the X20 style adapt seamlessly through the range. I remember that he was at first concerned that the design was too radical. Clearly not! The new X10 and X7 refine the design without abandoning it. I would like to see the X20 in MOMA's permanent design collection.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
When Alistair came up with the X20 design vocabulary, it changed the whole Emerald esthetic. It was a brilliant stroke, which has only become more apparent over time, as we've watched the X20 style adapt seamlessly through the range. I remember that he was at first concerned that the design was too radical. Clearly not! The new X10 and X7 refine the design without abandoning it. I would like to see the X20 in MOMA's permanent design collection.

Agree 100%. The Emerald designs changed my thinking about acoustic guitars. Mine was not an immediate epiphany - it took me a while to get used to the design. When I bought that X7, I was blown away by the sound, the playability, and the comfort. It was at that point that I had my "Ah-ha! moment." The different design is not about looks. Well, not only looks. A guitar that feels like it was designed for the human body instead of all those hard edges that I now find "old fashioned."

I have been playing a lot of guitars this week... no wood guitar, even those with an arm rest/bevel is as comfortable as my Emeralds. And, they sound as good as they feel.

Plenty of great options - it is a good time to be a guitar player!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default A note for Bill (121)

Hey, Bill - I got your PM, but your Private Message InBox is full. Delete some older messages and we can visit.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber