The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2017, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Cap'n!

Congrats! You have now officially made me crazy for mine....2/26 will be my 4 month mark, and I can’t wait!

It sounds like it's beautiful looks matches it's beautiful tone.

Great score sir!

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I have great respect and admiration for your good taste and willingness to wait for a very special instrument. I have to say, several things all came together at the right time for this guitar... foremost, owning the X7. I have never commissioned a guitar, then had to wait for it to be built. Experiencing the workmanship, sound, and comfort of the X7, I had been trying to determine the best time to order an X20 so it would be finished when we were in one place long enough for the shipping to work.

Then, the e-mail for this Select Series... I was totally smitten. Seeing it in person, the look is stunning. Most of the woodies I've seen have had a color on the sides and back. I really wanted black... and then - there it is! I was thinking cocobolo, but I had never seen louro preto. Everything about the look just reached out and grabbed me. Yes, it plays and sounds every bit as good as it looks.

I have every confidence you will feel the same when yours arrives. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 02-18-2017, 12:54 AM

yes yes , Monday will be a good day . I will have a video camera in the corner without his knowledge . I will apologize in advance for the 'uncut' ness that will be recorded !

As an aside (of sorts) ... we recorded him and his band at a 'battle of the bands' show at his college . We are enjoying it (my rose colored glasses are perfectly clean) and I was wondering if posting a link would violate any policies . I cannot guarantee that I can even figure out how to attach or embeb or ??whatever it's called .

I will attempt if it's not outtaline . I ain't no 'puter espirt .

JD
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 AM

https://youtu.be/q-A4V40-9Rc

Rolling the dice ..I tried it without you guy's approval . A real rebel , huh ?

Backstory ... he and his band are one of the school's chapel bands and this caught everyone by surprise .

JD
Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Not out of line at all - just more of the continuing saga. You have every right to be proud. Which one is your son? I figured: the guitar player... then, they all switched! Then, switched again. Standing ovation!

I can't wait to see his reaction over the new X20! Ohhh - more anticipation!

If he's anything like another new X20 owner I know, he will find it hard to put it down.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:07 AM

I just popped into the forum for a few seconds as I close the week off and this thread really made me smile.
Myself and my team really feed off the positive remarks that we are getting recently and it just keeps us motivated to keep improving and being ever more creative.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Alistair
Old 02-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
I just popped into the forum for a few seconds as I close the week off and this thread really made me smile.
Myself and my team really feed off the positive remarks that we are getting recently and it just keeps us motivated to keep improving and being ever more creative.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Alistair
Quick note: I love it! Can't wait to see what you come up with next! No pressure.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Jim ,

Our son ( Mike ) is the guitar player/singer in this video . Too bad the mix was poor as his guitar tone was outstanding . What I find most impressive is his complete lack of nerves ... as in zero !

I had him watch the video of 'his' X20 being played on youtube . When he sees it in person , he will recognize it . A little mild dupeage is always fun !!

I envy you guys that play for sure . My 'supporting role' is fun , but still ...

JD
Old 02-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz1 View Post
Jim ,

Our son ( Mike ) is the guitar player/singer in this video . Too bad the mix was poor as his guitar tone was outstanding . What I find most impressive is his complete lack of nerves ... as in zero !

I had him watch the video of 'his' X20 being played on youtube . When he sees it in person , he will recognize it . A little mild dupeage is always fun !!

I envy you guys that play for sure . My 'supporting role' is fun , but still ...

JD
Never too late to start. Doesn't mean you get to keep the X20, though - you'll have to order another one for yourself.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

24 hours in. I've been playing the X20 for about 18 of those hours.

Yes, I'm kidding. There was a few hours for sleeping. A previously scheduled "date" ... well, not a candle-light dinner - my wife and daughter like to play Bingo once in a while. And, being the man of the house, I put my foot down and said, "Whatever you want, Dear." Because that's the way I roll. On the bright side, I won a $75 jackpot (one of the smaller ones) - first time ever. I give credit for that to the good karma generated by the new X20.

So, time out for a bit of sleep, and a meal or two, and I've still been playing the X20 a bunch. First impressions: "Oh, baby!" (yes, you may quote me on that)

We all bring preferences and biases with us when we evaluate a guitar. I've been playing for going on 53 years; I should be better than this. But, I digress. There are some things about other guitars I own that really shine...
814ce: tone, playability, and looks (tobacco burst)
T-5: plays like a dream, versatile
X7: hands down, the most comfortable guitar I've owned; great tone for its size
RS Shorty: introduced me to the sound and ease of CF
522ce 12-fret: rich mahogany sound, typical Taylor playability
GSmini: introduced me to the pleasure of a small guitar

This X20 seems to take the best of those and kicks it all up a gear... or twelve. Opening the case, I was taken by the striking looks of this guitar - the sensuous curves designed in, the black CF weave on the sides and back, and the show-piece: the louro preto veneer. Gorgeous!

Picking it up, you notice the light weight... and, again, those curves. Even before putting a strap on it, I had to strum... love the rich sound! That off-set sound hole delivers the punch of this guitar up to the player as well as out. Rich, full, and balanced. It has the crystal highs I expect from carbon fiber, but balanced with rich bass. It sounds much bigger than the X7, but is every bit as comfortable. As far as set-up, there is nothing I will change about how this plays, other than the strings I prefer, at some point, probably a couple weeks down the road. Just right, straight out of the box.

The X7 is a delight. The size, sound, and comfort make it an intimate playing experience... then plug it in, and it kicks butt. It is the "pocketknife" I slip into a comfortable pair of jeans. My first exposure to the X20 is the sound that comes out and grabs you by the face. Instead of a "pocketknife," this guitar is a carbon fiber weapon. It is probably possible to play it quietly, but that would be a darn shame.

I don't have an amp or PA with me this trip, so I can't say anything about the LR Baggs Element Active pickup. If it is as good (or better) than the B-Band in my X7, I will be a happy boy. All acoustic at this point, and I am very impressed.

I haven't owned a Hiscox case before. This came with the Hiscox LiteFlite case, and I like it. A lot. Lighter than the wood cases I own, and seems to offer plenty of protection. It made the trip here (Phoenix area) from Ireland, and the guitar seemed plenty happy about it. The optional gig bag is a nice companion for easy, lightweight traveling. I have come to really appreciate a good gig bag.

I will admit that I spent more time playing than looking, after that first "Ohhhhhh!" when I opened the case. Now, looking closely, the workmanship is impecable. While it immediately moved into first place in the Beauty Competition, this guitar isn't just a pretty face. (see the "face" reference early in this thread)

Honeymoon period? The above is all stuff that isn't going to fade away with more use. I've been playing long enough to know what I like in a guitar. This X20 does it all for me, and delights me with the rich sound, the comfort, and the striking looks.

And, as with my X7 purchase, Emerald has made this a first class buying experience. Any downside? That whole week between them handing the guitar over to AN Post and the US Postal Service putting the pink slip in the box... apparently, there was some "waiting angst" that some perceived. Me? Nah, I was cool about the whole thing.

Worth the wait? I have been waiting over 50 years for this... I just didn't know it until I opened the box.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just awesome, Jim! Glad it is everything you've ever wanted in a guitar. It's a beauty, for sure.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM

This has been a fun thread to watch. Just sayin'
Old 02-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Congrats' that is a great thing to hear about a guitar purchase!!! When it grabs you that much right off it's the right one! Jerry
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Sunday morning comin' down...

If you said "Johnny Cash," you get 100 bonus points. And I'm not a big country fan.

I was playing the new X20 this morning (no big surprise there). I was wrong: it can be played quietly.

One other thing I noticed, and this is an unscientific observation: the neck seems a little thinner than my X7. No, I have no calipers with me for taking an exact measurement. It may be the longer scale of the X20 is fooling my left hand, but the X20 seems more Taylor-like, where the X7 seems more RainSong N2... ish. Both have a 1.75" nut width.

Either way, they are both comfortable for me. No problem moving back and forth between the 24" scale of the X7 and the 25.5" scale of the X20. In the last 5 or 6 years, I have come to appreciate the comfort of a smaller guitar. There is no question that the X20 is a larger guitar than the X7, but it, likewise, impresses me with the comfort. Sitting or standing (with a strap). I have described the X7 as a small guitar that doesn't play or sound small; the X20 has more depth and richness, but it doesn't feel big while playing.

The size was a concern I had, since the X7 and I get along so well. No issue at all - the X20 is just as comfortable to hold and play. Not sure if Alistair is a student of anatomy and ergonomics, but this, too, feels "just right."

I tried different picks with the X20 this morning, and didn't notice as much difference with that guitar as with the X7.

Just some random thoughts after another hour or so with the X20 this morning. The ladies (wife and daughter) have more plans for the 4 of us later, so I get the playing in where I can.

Jim
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 PM

Congrats on the new X20, Jim. Your two first-class experiences with Emerald are not making it any easier for me to resist ordering a Chimaera.

Actually I said "Kris Kristofferson". Do I still get the bonus points? Johnny Cash did have a bigger hit with it, though.....
Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sunday morning comin' down...

If you said "Johnny Cash," you get 100 bonus points. And I'm not a big country fan.

I was playing the new X20 this morning (no big surprise there). I was wrong: it can be played quietly.

One other thing I noticed, and this is an unscientific observation: the neck seems a little thinner than my X7. No, I have no calipers with me for taking an exact measurement. It may be the longer scale of the X20 is fooling my left hand, but the X20 seems more Taylor-like, where the X7 seems more RainSong N2... ish. Both have a 1.75" nut width.

Either way, they are both comfortable for me. No problem moving back and forth between the 24" scale of the X7 and the 25.5" scale of the X20. In the last 5 or 6 years, I have come to appreciate the comfort of a smaller guitar. There is no question that the X20 is a larger guitar than the X7, but it, likewise, impresses me with the comfort. Sitting or standing (with a strap). I have described the X7 as a small guitar that doesn't play or sound small; the X20 has more depth and richness, but it doesn't feel big while playing.

The size was a concern I had, since the X7 and I get along so well. No issue at all - the X20 is just as comfortable to hold and play. Not sure if Alistair is a student of anatomy and ergonomics, but this, too, feels "just right."

I tried different picks with the X20 this morning, and didn't notice as much difference with that guitar as with the X7.

Just some random thoughts after another hour or so with the X20 this morning. The ladies (wife and daughter) have more plans for the 4 of us later, so I get the playing in where I can.

Jim
Dear Jim,

Thank you so much from all the team for your kind words, this really means a lot to us! We are so glad that you are pleased with your custom X20 Select Series and we wish you continued enjoyment with it.

Best Wishes

Sean

PS: Being a massive Kris Kristofferson fan, I went with him, too! ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber