The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Whippersnapper

Default Jaded Lover - Jerry Jeff Walker cover

Happy Thanksgiving friends! I took a quick break from cooking the bird to sit down and record this week's SOTW feature, #47!

A few weeks ago I offered a song here that I learned for a nice farmer lady at the farmers market in nearby Carrboro, NC. When I played it for the next market she was quite thrilled with it and proceeded to pile on more requests. I don't mind getting suggestions for songs, as I've "discovered" a good handful of songs that I would not have known about otherwise. Plus, people usually smile or sing along when they hear a familiar tune, and that's one of my favorite things to see when performing out. But back to the farmer, she's got a good appreciation for under-appreciated musicians and songs. So I knew I'd better check out whatever she throws at me. From the writer of "Mr. Bojangles", Jerry Jeff Walker, I present a cover of his modest hit, "Jaded Lover". It was included on his 1975 album, Riding High.

Jaded Lover - Kyle Scobie (cover)

It's a fun little song, but not easy lyrics. I had to listen to a recording a few times to get the timing right in order to fit everything in. It still needs some practice I think, but it's coming along. Vocals could be louder, but it is what it is. Played this one on the Taylor, recorded on the Sanyo, as usual. Mr. Frog wants turkey.

Man, this thing is wrapping up pretty soon! I'm thinking of doing a few Christmas songs, maybe the next 3 or 4. Then something grand for the finale. Stay tuned!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Kyle, Nice rendition. The computer screen really messed up your camera lighting. Sort of left me in the dark, LOL.

Bud
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Very pretty. I see what you mean about the lyrics - they are hard to fit in, aren't they. Both you and Mr. Frog have a halo today Are you shopping for a new guitar?

Steve
Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Another good job, Kyle. I agree with Bud about the lighting. I'm not familiar with the song, but you sing it well.

Enjoy that turkey and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Nice work Kyle as always, but this a bit bread n butter for you, isnt it ? Id like to see you challenging yourself a bit again, now that its week 40 or so and youre definitely warmed up by now ... :-)

btw: nice pic of a J-200 , were you busy deleting one of my posts on the AGF in the background ... ? ;-)
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-25-2011, 08:36 AM

Nice Job, buddy.

Another really good choice for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Solo

Mike Solo
Old 11-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Nice change in genre Kyle. Really shows your versitility. Sounded really good and again great chunkin' tone from ur Taylor.
I hope you and the Mrs. are having a blessed Thanksgiving. I've been cruisin' in the Bahamas with my son Caleb and listen to Chris Tomlin's new cd all week so I have some catchin' up here so next I'll check out your bro's tune!

Bravo brother Scobe,

noledog
Old 11-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDSTER View Post
Kyle, Nice rendition. The computer screen really messed up your camera lighting. Sort of left me in the dark, LOL.

Bud
Ha! Thanks Budster. Yeah, I did a quick post-upload edit of the lighting on Youtube, so you saw the original. I need to up the wattage of my bulbs.

Thanks for watching!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Very pretty. I see what you mean about the lyrics - they are hard to fit in, aren't they. Both you and Mr. Frog have a halo today Are you shopping for a new guitar?

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yeah, the lyrics are no cakewalk. No guitar shopping for me. Although I wish I were, I could use a nice baritone... The halos are pure coincidence.

Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed it!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
Another good job, Kyle. I agree with Bud about the lighting. I'm not familiar with the song, but you sing it well.

Enjoy that turkey and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks Kerbie! I wasn't familiar with the song either until a couple of weeks ago. It was the same lady who thought I was much older when you came to watch me play.

Thanks for watching, and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, too.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Nice work Kyle as always, but this a bit bread n butter for you, isnt it ? Id like to see you challenging yourself a bit again, now that its week 40 or so and youre definitely warmed up by now ... :-)

btw: nice pic of a J-200 , were you busy deleting one of my posts on the AGF in the background ... ? ;-)
Haha! No Mark, rest assured I have no Gibson bias. I just don't like them Nah, it's just my computer wallpaper. There's also two Martins and a Taylor in it, too:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=212314

Actually, I played a j45 VOS the other day that was just super. Also played an L-00 that was a lot of fun. My local Guitar Center has a nice couple of used/vintage Gibsons that you would probably enjoy quite a bit.

Glad you enjoyed it the song. Yeah, I think I might be getting the hang of things by now.

Thanks for watching!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Nice Job, buddy.

Another really good choice for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Solo
Thank you Solo, brother. Glad you liked it. I really appreciate the support.

Thanks for watching pal!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Nice change in genre Kyle. Really shows your versitility. Sounded really good and again great chunkin' tone from ur Taylor.
I hope you and the Mrs. are having a blessed Thanksgiving. I've been cruisin' in the Bahamas with my son Caleb and listen to Chris Tomlin's new cd all week so I have some catchin' up here so next I'll check out your bro's tune!

Bravo brother Scobe,

noledog
Thanks so much, Eric. I try to keep so variety going in this thing. It's funny, though, because sometimes people ask me what kind of music I like. My answer is always "songs I like". I try to keep an open mind about genre, even with my disdain for country music.

Anyway, I'm happy you enjoyed it. The wifey and I had a great Thanksgiving. Just the two of us this year, which was fine by me. Glad to hear you got some good times to share with your son. Tomlin's new album is great, isn't it!?

Thanks for joining me this week.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Good job young man. Another week and another successful presentation. After listening to your version, I checked out the one linked in your 'comments' section as I had never heard this song. You did the song well
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 AM

Good job on the cover.
It is a hard song to sing and rhytm to keep.
Gentleman that wrote it is Chuck Pyle - look at his version - he plays an interesting hybrid picking style.
You have given me an idea as well. I don't sing but I do love variety

If I can suggest a tune, listen to song named Deadwood South Dakota by Eric Taylor, there is a very nice version performed by Nancy Griffith. It capos up at 4th fret or so and I think it would suit your vocal range.
Keep up the great work!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell