The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
I assume you tried a bunch of Taylors before deciding on this one. Why not the 914? Was the 814 better?
The only Taylors I've ever played (in my life!) are my 110e, and the two that were in the GC - the 814ce and a 614ce. I decided early on that I wouldn't buy something that I didn't play first, and Taylors are a bit rare in my neck of the woods But the 814 clearly outperformed everything else in GC's back room that day.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Got an 814ce Dlx back in the first of May. I also finger pick with nails trimmed to slightly past the pads or I hybrid with a small thick pick, Dunlop PrimeTone 1.4mm Jazz III. I am in love. My other acoustic is a D-35 now hibernating in its case. I find fingers and thick picks go a long way toward damping the brightness. Just ordered a set of D’Addario phosphor bronze flats to try to eliminate that awful zipper noise when I legato. Guess I’m too used to flats on an archtop electric. Not sure how they’ll work out but life is for experimenting and learning. That, unneeded by us, covid money was my excuse.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Got an 814ce Dlx back in the first of May. I also finger pick with nails trimmed to slightly past the pads or I hybrid with a small thick pick, Dunlop PrimeTone 1.4mm Jazz III. I am in love. My other acoustic is a D-35 now hibernating in its case. I find fingers and thick picks go a long way toward damping the brightness. Just ordered a set of D’Addario phosphor bronze flats to try to eliminate that awful zipper noise when I legato. Guess I’m too used to flats on an archtop electric. Not sure how they’ll work out but life is for experimenting and learning. That, unneeded by us, covid money was my excuse.
Yes, the 814ce DLX is something special. I stayed with Elixirs, but went to Mediums instead of lights, and the sound filled out nicely, losing its tendency to be a little shrill at times. BTW welcome to the forums - I've been here over a decade, and used to be a Moderator, and believe this is the friendliest forum on the planet!
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion