The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Suggestions for Central America / Caribbean

Thinking of a visit to Costa Rica, but it's a long way from Scotland to there so I'm looking for suggestions for an additional destination in that part of the world. I've been wondering about Belize, Cuba, or maybe somewhere in the Yucatan, but will consider anywhere that's reasonably safe.

We don't do watersports, but would go on a boat trip. Not into lying on beaches, but happy to explore forests. No interest in shopping, but Mayan ruins would be interesting. Nightlife doesn't interest is, but nice food and a bit of quietness is good.

Given the demographics of the forum I'm sure that some members will have been to the area. (Well, maybe not Cuba...)

So, any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM

Many years ago I visited Honduras. I saw the ancient Mayan ruins in the city of Copan.
I also saw a very poor, corrupt, and dangerous country, ruled by gangs and corrupt police.
I will never go back. I’m amazed I survived.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM

Cozumel , would be worth investigating!��
Old 12-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Dominican Republic is great. Lots of stuff to do off the resorts. Not a shopping spot. I've been several times and enjoyed it each time. Cancun/Riviera Maya also very good. Check each place out.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Take a look at Roatan. I’ve never been but I have a friend who used to have a house there. Lots of English speakers. It’s part of Honduras, but it’s an island 30 miles off the coast. Former British colony.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 PM

Hoots mon! Come on down to the wee land down under. We talk proper too!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 PM

We’ve been to Aruba, Cozumel, Nassau/Paradise Island, St. Thomas/St. John, St. Martin, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and San Juan. It all starts to look alike: overdeveloped tourist areas surrounded by poverty. If you want to explore jungle, go to Hawaii - but bring your checkbook.

BTW, of all the stops outside of Wailea, Maui, HI, USA the most enjoyable experience I had was in Aruba. It's not a tropical island though; it's mostly desert. For jungle, Jamaica seems to be the most lush place I've seen but I had no desire to wander outside of the cruise ship port area. It just didn't feel safe.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 12-03-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:37 AM

That Aussie thing sounds good to me. Where "shearing" is confined to the sheep. Its their time of year for summer too.

I don't really have any need to find out for myself about the Carribean tourist traps. They all have the same purpose worldwide-----to get max money from the tourists!

Fog
Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Hoots mon! Come on down to the wee land down under. We talk proper too!
Yeah, you did OK for a bunch of convicts... :-) I reckon we'll make it to the upside-down end of the planet one day, just need to find the grippy shoes that stop people falling off.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 AM

A very long plain ride, but worth it, Tahiti. Moorea would be a good choice for what you want. Bora Bora would be a good place as well but a little more pricey . It is not over developed, so be prepared for living like a local. In one word it is BEAUTIFUL.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM

On the west coast of the great state of Florida is a place called Sanibel Island. Short airplane ride across the pond to the "sunshine state". Beautiful beaches, great food, as close to the Caribbean as you can get and not have the "tourist" hassle on every beach you go to. The Florida keys are nice but lots of coral and the beaches are better on Sanible/Captiva. Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
Take a look at Roatan. I’ve never been but I have a friend who used to have a house there. Lots of English speakers. It’s part of Honduras, but it’s an island 30 miles off the coast. Former British colony.
I have a good friend who lives there currently. He loves it. I'm visiting in the spring...
Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Thinking of a visit to Costa Rica, but it's a long way from Scotland to there so I'm looking for suggestions for an additional destination in that part of the world. I've been wondering about Belize, Cuba, or maybe somewhere in the Yucatan, but will consider anywhere that's reasonably safe.

We don't do watersports, but would go on a boat trip. Not into lying on beaches, but happy to explore forests. No interest in shopping, but Mayan ruins would be interesting. Nightlife doesn't interest is, but nice food and a bit of quietness is good.

Given the demographics of the forum I'm sure that some members will have been to the area. (Well, maybe not Cuba...)

So, any suggestions?
Feel free to message me. I have been going down to CR for the last 7-8 years, own rental property there, and can try to answer any questions you may have. I was just there a month ago, and will be returning in Feb 2020.

CR is wonderful and much different than many of its neighboring countries in terms of environment, safety, and overall accessibility to seeing different parts of the country.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

If South America is in scope, I'd not hesitate to recommend a trip to Colombia. I've been to Bogota numerous times this year for work and have loved every trip. Bogota has a highland climate (2600 meters above sea level), so if you're looking for a warmer destination you'd probably look at Cartagena or Medellin, which are both at lower elevations. Living in a very hot and humid climate during the summer season, I find Bogota's year-round weather to be perfect (average daily high temp is around 17-18 C, overnight temps drop to 6-8 C).

Plenty of activities that don't involve beach lounging or shopping. The food is wonderful and the people are wonderful-ler!

Keep us updated on where you ultimately land!

Austin
Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I really want to visit Colombia. It's on my short list (of a long list) of countries to visit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic