The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default When the Heart Rules the Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post

Sometimes the heart goes over the head...
Nice bit of nylon acoustic at the 3:40 point, here. Couple of "more than adequate" guitarists, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WXetf1eWo
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post
You are right - I loved how the 24 sounded, played and felt.
But somehow I would like to own the same guitar as my favourite Singer/ Songwriter and wanted to have a cedar top - because of the looking. If I wouldn`t have found 72 for such a good price I surely bought the 24.

I had the possibiliy to try the 24 and 32 at the same time. To me the 24 sounded more as a classical than the 32. 24 had more sustain at all and more "honey" in the trebles. I don`t play classic, more jazzy and fingerpickiing style.
But I know, I have to improve my skills a lot to be worth playing such an expensive guitar...

Sometimes the heart goes over the head...
So please tell me who your favorite singer songwriter is. Is it Jason Mraz?

Did you already receive the guitar? Some actually prefer the fishman electronics over the newer one. Fishmans are tried and true. Enjoy!

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 12-22-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM

@play2praise him:

you`re right. As many of you out here in that forum I like Jason Mrazs` music.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Just a reminder to all... our AGF Rules prohibit price discussions on guitars. Please read the FAQ section on the top of each page to review our forum rules. I have edited out all prices on this thread.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Sorry admin, I didn`t read that. I will keep it in mind!

My new 72ce has just arrived. First everything seemed to be o.k. But now I saw, one of the white round thing, where the strings are winded around - I don`t know the word in english - is cracked.. It`the one for the a-string - does anyone know, what it will cost to fix it? Can`t get my luthier to th phone today...(guess he sells the last guitars for christmas today ;-) )
An there also are 2 really very small wholes in the front on the fretboard...
Is it ok for a high end taylor?

How can I see which is the year of buliding the guitar?

Thanks and have a merry christmas!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

The first is obviously a defect that needs to be fixed by your dealer. The second needs pictures for a valid opinion. Can you post some?

Taylor changed its serial number taxonomy in the recent past. Where the first four digits used to be the year the guitar began being built, it isn't anymore. Search the Taylor group of threads for Serial Number, as there was a recent one describing how to "read" the new system.

Sorry you're having issues. Hopefully, your dealer will clear them up, and your super price wasn't because of them?

How do you like how it plays and sounds?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 AM

It plays very good but sounds bad because the strings are rosty and I can`t get the a-string in tune because of the crack.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM

... and now I found out that guitar is built in July 2006 not in 2009 as they told me. It was a non-seller in that shop and now they did a good deal not me. I`m never lucky with those things...
What would you do - trying to get some money back?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear your problems. Not sure where you are or where the shop is, but if they represented the guitar as a 2009 and it has defects, I would try to return and get your money back. If they are an authorized Taylor dealer, you would be able to have Taylor (or one of their service centers) repair under warranty. If neither of these options work for you and you are near east coast USA, Pat DiBurro is a most excellent guitar repair tech that could fix it like new for you, of course it would be at a charge.

http://www.diburro.com/

He did excellent work on a Collings and a Fay for me, and I'm planning on sending him my McIlroy this spring.

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

You should definitely contact the dealer and find out what they're willing to do to make the situation right. The warranty repair will only work if you are the first owner of the guitar, but since your dealer has already given you inaccurate information concerning the year of manufacture, you may not be able to determine whether it was sold to you new or used. Can you post pictures of the holes in the guitar top?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM

how can I post pictures? Only with a link to another site or directly pasting?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm not sure, I think you have to have the pictures online somewhere else and then you can post the picture as a linked image using the insert image icon on the reply page. That should post the picture directly in the text of your reply. Maybe...
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM

I have a try:

And you notice the rusty strings they had left on it...
I changed them to Nylon Folk EJ32 - it sounds as I hoped it would do.

And in comparison - i guess, I can remember the sound of the 24ce which I had played last week very well. The 72ce - trebles seemed to be louder but sounds the same "honey" (sorry no other word for it). When I compared 32 and 24 I missed the sustain at the 32 - I thought this is because of the difference in the bodys - but the 72 has a good sustain.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Opinions:

1. The cracked tuner needs to be fixed at no charge. They might be able to send an entire tuner assembly that you could swap out yourself.
2. Any shop worth it's snot would have put new strings on that. Those are a disgrace.
3. Those two small pits should be easily filled with an epoxy/ebony dust mixture to become almost invisible. If that was the only thing wrong on the guitar, it wouldn't be worth mentioning.
4. Misrepresentation of the age of the guitar, to me is the worst offense, though not surprising given the other issues you have. If it was me, I'd say I wanted 20% back on refund to keep the guitar, or it gets returned for full refund including freight both ways.
5. GOOD pictures. Nice work wtih the camera!
6. Good luck, and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 PM

The shop should replace the rollers. They should also give you a new set of strings and install them for free along with a free set up. Have them fill the holes and hive you an extra 1 or 2 set of strings for your trouble. They need to do the work free of charge in a timely manner. Any shipping charges should be covered by them.

If they don't do repairs, they need to cover your cost to have it done.
Be sure to check the electronics to be sure they work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical