The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Default HOW TO STOP SQUEAKING: nylon problems

I'm recording with a nylon guitar, and I'm getting the typical squeaks from the bass strings when I slide up and down the neck.

It usually does not bother me, but on the recording it sounds WAY TOO LOUD.

Anyone have suggestions to stop the squeaking?
Someone told me FAST FRET would help, but it doesn't seem to help me out enough.

I know DADDARIO has a special set ( j51 pro arte)
and
Labella has a special set also (golden superior 900-b)
---Has anyone used these before?

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED
THANKS!!!

- MY ACOUSTICS -
-1930's Kay Kraft model B
-1937 Gibson L-00
-1941 Gibson Roy Smeck Deluxe
-1950's Harmony (for slide)
-Late 1950's Stella(warped for slide)
-Late 1950's Kay Jumbo
-1990's Ibanez 12-string
-2012 Jasmine SC43
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Hey Xodus,

Other then trying out some other strings, you may want to check your technique. I play alot of classical music on steel strings and my teacher use to make me do these "lift-and-place" exercises all the time because my squeaking was driving him crazy.

When he first made me do these exercises, I was very skeptical and a little resistant. I felt that the string squeak was due to my strings and not my technique because "how am I suppose to play without squeaking on wound steel strings?" After reluctantly doing these exercises for a month or so, I noticed that I am squeaking much less than before and my left hand technique has gotten more fluid and much more accurate.

Hope this helps!

Tim
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1m View Post
Hey Xodus,

Other then trying out some other strings, you may want to check your technique. I play alot of classical music on steel strings and my teacher use to make me do these "lift-and-place" exercises all the time because my squeaking was driving him crazy.

When he first made me do these exercises, I was very skeptical and a little resistant. I felt that the string squeak was due to my strings and not my technique because "how am I suppose to play without squeaking on wound steel strings?" After reluctantly doing these exercises for a month or so, I noticed that I am squeaking much less than before and my left hand technique has gotten more fluid and much more accurate.

Hope this helps!

Tim
Yep! +1
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Fast fret is more of a fretboard conditioner/ string cleaner. Never noticed any help in eliminating squeaks.

The hard answer is to clean up your left hand technique.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

+++ on technique. There's no substitute for good technique.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I play alot of classical music on steel strings and my teacher use to make me do these "lift-and-place" exercises all the time because my squeaking was driving him crazy. Tim
That's the answer, my first classical guitar teacher taught me that 30 years ago. Everytime I would slide, he would say "LIFT YOUR FINGERS".

Tom C.

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I read an article by David Russell once in which he commented that he chose certain fingerings based on the ability to lift, thus diminishing the amount of audible squeaks. He went on to comment that some of his friends actually filed down their calluses or even wet their fingertips before recordings to accomplish the same.

Nick
Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 AM

+1 for lifting the fingers.

Sadly, there is no substitute for it
If you need to keep the fingers on the strings when sliding up/down - try to use the treble string(s) as guidelines.
While not always possible (depends on fingering used), in some cases it may help you.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

A couple of tips are, 1 - keep your fingertips lubricated. If you've ever watched a professional classical player, you'll see him/her wipe their fingertips against the edge of the nose or on the forehead. This picks up a little oil for lubrication. 2- when you slide on the bass strings, roll your finger as you slide, so you are sliding on the soft part of the finger not the hard tip. This action reduces the squeaking significantly, particularly when there is lubrication.

All of this is part of technique, though.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
A couple of tips are, 1 - keep your fingertips lubricated. If you've ever watched a professional classical player, you'll see him/her wipe their fingertips against the edge of the nose or on the forehead. This picks up a little oil for lubrication. 2- when you slide on the bass strings, roll your finger as you slide, so you are sliding on the soft part of the finger not the hard tip. This action reduces the squeaking significantly, particularly when there is lubrication.

All of this is part of technique, though.
Thanks for the tips!

- MY ACOUSTICS -
-1930's Kay Kraft model B
-1937 Gibson L-00
-1941 Gibson Roy Smeck Deluxe
-1950's Harmony (for slide)
-Late 1950's Stella(warped for slide)
-Late 1950's Kay Jumbo
-1990's Ibanez 12-string
-2012 Jasmine SC43
Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM

try to get a set of polished silver basses from Savarez I have tried them they are not wrapped they are completely polished 100% silver 520RH Polished you can find them at stringbymail.com they are pricey about 32$ for a set of basses alone or 35$ for a full set. http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/i...h=1_62_144_445 They work wonders. Also a cheaper trick I've used wash your hands with a moisturizing soap like Dove right before you start recording will virtually eliminate squeaks when playing, for a shot time of course.

Last edited by Vic9mm; 12-03-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 PM

My vote is also with technique, but until you master it you may want to try Finger-ease I tried it a couple of times and it provides for some very smooth slides, and eliminates squeaks on steel strings---don't know why it would not do the same on nylon.

I was using some denatured alcohol this summer and noticed that if I got any on my fingers and tried playing shortly afterwards that it was almost impossible to play--all of my natural oils had been removed. Not only did the strings squeak, but I could not slide at all. As implied above, a good hand moisturizer will do wonders.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM

I say DITTO on the lift the fingers . . . my classical teacher would tell me "lift your fingers" too and actually slapped my hand when I dropped my pinky on the soundboard like a banjo player. ha ha
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Think helicopter instead of landing strip.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 PM

I used to have a TON of squeak, while I still have some it's been lessened by alot, it comes with technique.

I will say that I'm not a fan of D'Addario strings on the Classical Side though, I tend towards Savarez, or the La Belle Pro Series (about $15 per set) the Pro series has a type of coating that is supposed to help tremendously in the squeak, but I can't say for sure yet, they'll be on my classical in about a week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical