The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Amps for nylon string guitars

Hi,

Do you know of any amp that is specifically designed for nylon string guitars?

There is the AER classic, but it costs more than 1000$.

For around 300$ (used) what amp would you buy.

Maybe this topic was already covered, I am fairly new to this forum and I can't get through all the previous messages...).

Regards,
Antzoul
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM

I just bought a Behringer ACX-450 and am very pleased with it though I have no experience with amplified acoustics. It has some features that I may not use much; feedback limiter and multiple selectable and adjustable effects with on/off foot pedal.

I searched and asked this forum and compiled a list of 15 amps ranging from $70 to over $1600. I got down to the Behringer and a Roland AC-60. The Behringer was 1/3 the price of the Roland.

I play a Taylor NS-34CE through it. So far the major impact is accentuating my mistakes! I play about 50% fo the time without the amp.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 AM

I have the Roland Microcube for my Yamaha SLG 100N and it really works well! Great sound, small and very portable, and not very expensive!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Default Ultrasound

Take a look at the AG-30, I did!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I bought my Shertler David because of reviews by instrumentalists including nylon players. It works great and, with a little effort, can be found pretty reasonable priced.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 PM

I'd look into Fender's Acoustasonic family; either used copies of the larger/older model or new "Juniors." I borrowed the older model a while back for a series of gigs where I needed a large monitor that I could control from my seat, with xlr to the board; that amp worked beautifully: lots of headroom and clean sound.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM

I have the Ultrasound AG-30 and the Loudbox 100.

They are not designed for Nylon guitars (specifically), but both work very well with Nylon guitars.

I can dial in the Loudbox 100 EQ and effects to produce a nice nylon sound, and I often front it with a fishman aura nylon box, but not always.

The Loudbox bi-amp, dual speaker setup also provides the fidelity I was looking for.

Jack
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 AM
*mahoganut*

I have not tried either with nylon, but the ability to handle the nuances of various steel string acoustics by both amps I have makes me think strongly that they would do very well with a nylon string guitar.

I have a Rivera Sedona Lite (lotsa bucks) which is a fantastic amp - tube, warm, rich, deep - that's the one Doyle Dykes uses at his workshops. And I recently purchased the new Lunchbox Acoustic. 11lbs, 200w, amazing. I was just playing my baritone through it and it really sings - picking up (too many!) of the sounds my clumsy fingers make as well as projecting the tone very cleanly.

I also have a Behringer AT108 - the small 12lb acoustic, and it is also very good, but a bit noisier than the Lunchbox. But at 1/6 the price, it may be just the ticket.

From these examples my thinking would be that any full-range (acoustic, piano, percussion) amp would do well with your nylon guitars.

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Schertler

Anyone use the Schertler DYN-G/M with their acoustic amps, and what were the results?

Dano
Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM

I play my La Patrie classical through a Fishman Loudbox 100, which is more in the $600 range new, but Fishman now has a new addition to their Loudbox line: The Loudbox Mini, which is right in your price range. Haven't played it yet, but if it sounds anything like its big brother, then it'll be a great piece. Might be just the ticket. Do check it out:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=430859

Last edited by Eric.Hope; 11-16-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the information.
Is the AER classic the only existing amp that was specifically designed for nylon string guitars?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzoul2 View Post
Thanks for the information.
Is the AER classic the only existing amp that was specifically designed for nylon string guitars?
I would recommend Vox AGA70 or Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM

For around $300 you cannot beat the Utrasound. I have a Taylor nylon string and a Martin nylon string - it my go to amp for both for clean acoustic sound.

For sheer volume, range of tones and built in effects at around $300, the all tube Fender Super Champ XD is awesome.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Man O Man

Reading the above commentary hits close to home.

I started amplifying recently and MAN O MAN do I ever have to work on stopping the squeaks and squeals.. Dang, I thought I was pretty good, but need to take it to another level to get rid of all of the noise.

No cheating when you have an under saddle pickup.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 AM

I use an Acoustic AG-30 for steel-string guitar, nylon-string guitar, and vocals. Note that this is not the Ultrasound AG-30, but an Acoustic AG-30 (Acoustic is now a Guitar Center brand).

The AG-30 is on the heavy and bulky side (around 40 lbs IIRC), but it sounds *great*. Very, very neutral with the tone controls flat - it won't change the sound of your instrument unless you want it to.

At one time I used to work in the loudspeaker R&D department of a pro audio company, so I've been around some really good semi-professional monitor loudspeakers and developed a reasonably good ear for a good speaker. The AG-30 comes surprisingly close to sounding like a monitor speaker - the designers really did a nice job designing the enclosure (which sets much of the bass response), and the coaxial dome tweeter does a far, far better job than the more usual compression (horn) tweeters usually found in these sorts of amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxguy View Post
For sheer volume, range of tones and built in effects at around $300, the all tube Fender Super Champ XD is awesome.
I have one of these as well. It's not quite "all tube" - the front end is actually solid state, with DSP amp modelling, followed by a tube power amp.

I love this amp to bits for use with my electric guitars - take the time to experiment with the settings and you can get a wide variety of absolutely gorgeous tones out of it. It sounds great with everything I've played through it - Les Paul type guitars, Strat-type guitars, ES-335 type semi-hollow guitars, and guitars with P90 pickups. All sound great.

I have also used the Super Champ XD with my acoustic-electric guitars as well (there is a clean voice and a jazz voice, both of which are usable with acoustic guitars). It sounds pretty good.

However, for acoustic guitars, I actually prefer the solid-state AG-30. The Fender Super Champ XD is a bit bass-light, doesn't have quite enough gain for a typical low-output piezo pickup, and doesn't have as much flexibility when it comes to EQ - and my acoustic electrics seem to sound best with a fair bit of equalization applied.

The Acoustic AG-30, on the other hand, sounds lovely with both my steel-string and nylon-string acoustic-electric guitars. It also sounds lovely with my wife's vocals. Add a tasteful pinch of reverb, and it goes from lovely to gorgeous. A REALLY nice amp, and a heck of a steal at the asking price!

I have no connection with Guitar Center, Acoustic Corp, or any musical instrument vendor or manufacturer, by the way. I'm just a very satisfied owner passing on my opinion in case it helps someone else out.

-Gnobuddy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical