The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Alhambra CS-3 Crossover: Opinions?

Hi.
I'm not a proper Classical guitarist, but I do play a classical as my main guitar (a La Patrie Concert CW). I've always preferred the sound of nylon strings, and the wider necks on classicals. Stylistically, I probably come at things from a bit more of a Latin perspective (Bossa Nova, Samba, etc). I've had my La Patrie for a few years, and feel I am ready to upgrade a bit, to an all-solid wood model, with nicer electronics. Am currently looking at the Alhambra CS-3 Crossover:

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co...assical+Guitar

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this guitar? Perhaps one of you HAS one? If so, how do you like it? Might anyone have a suggestion for a similar guitar, by another manufacturer, that might be worth my consideration? For example, are the Taylor nylon models any good? My local Guitar Center does not carry them, so I can't try them out (in fact, in the San Francisco area, it is hard to find ANY place that has a decent range of classical/nylon-string guitars. Guitar Center's selection of classicals is incredibly limited. Haight-Ashbury Music Center is a bit better, but not comprehensive). The Alhambra offers a choice of Solid Cedar or Solid Spruce top. I must confess, I'm not used to the idea of a Spruce top on a classical guitar, but it IS a hybrid, so I guess I can consider it. What are your thoughts on this (or anything else I've mentioned)? I welcome your thoughts & suggestions.

-Eric
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Hi Eric,

I can't comment on the Alhambra cross over, but wondered if you know of Guitar Solo at 230 Townsend Street, SF? I have been there several times, though not recently, and they have, or had, one of the best selections of classicals and flamencos I've seen. I bought my Lowden steel string there some years ago, but their main inventory at that time was high quality classicals. At their website, check the instruments/classicals link. Quite a range, I think.

http://www.gspguitar.com/index.jsp

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Will certainly check them out, David. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

I'm actually also interested in poking around the world of hybrid nylons. Anyone have any answers to Erics questions?! I had also spotted the same guitar, in the very same shop! I plan to head down to that part of the UK around the tail end of September. I'll post my experiences of it.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM

I would be very interested in reading that. Please do.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Eric,

I have a Alhambra CS-2 CW that I purchased in Copenhagen last year. It has a cedar top, and ovankol back and sides, all solid. No electronics ( I am the one who wrote the post on the I-Beam for classicals), and it is just like the CS-3 CW that you described, except for the construction materials.

I had spent close to an hour in the store trying out several classicals and settled on this one. It is my favorite guitar. I used to play all steel string - Guilds - and occasionaly some classical/jazz on my Yamaha. Now almost all I play is my Alhambra.

I absolutly love it. I have had professional classical and flamenco players try my guitar, and they are amazed!

If I remember, the models with spruce top and rosewood back and sides were a bit bassy for me, the ovankol, matched with the cedar top has a nice even tone range across the board.
The down side, is they are hard to find in the US. Good luck, but this Alhambra is the best guitar I have ever owned, and I have had some beauties in my past, and currently in my closet.

Dennis M.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM

check out Kenny Hill's shop as well
that's me on guitar
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM

I'll second the recommendation to check out Kenny Hill's line. I have one of his Crossover models from 2002 (cedar/mexican rosewood) and it is a very expressive, light, loud and resonant instrument with amazing sustain for a nylon string guitar.

That said, I'm still thinking about a mahogany/cedar gut string for the clarity to overtone ratio.

Wayne
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I'm happy with my CS-3; the indian rosewood offers more solid sound with better basses respect the ovankol model CS-2. The amplified sound is simply great. For this reasons I replaced my CS-2 with the CS-3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical