The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Getting the Cordoba GK

Hi,

I'm new here and just ordered a Cordoba GK after playing with one in Guitar Center. I wasn't really into getting this initially as I had been saving for a handmade Flamenco, but I have some major expenses coming up this year and next and finally made a hard decision to step back and be more practical. Hence, the Cordoba....It has a 650 scale and 50mm nut width (too bad Cordoba doesn't make Torres style guitars!) however, this was also very light and playable. I couldn't believe how good it sounded unplugged as most cutaways are barely audible. The only thing I plan to change are the machine heads. I had originally thought of Rubners or Schallers, but two people on the forum suggested Gotch. I don't want something overly expensive as this isn't a high end instrument but I do want something that looks sharp and is of good quality. So - does Gotch rule?

Laura
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Wink

Welcome Laura. Are you beginning flamenco? Are you classically trained? Just to clarify it is GOTOH. Just in case it wasn't a typo.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the correction with the spelling. It's the carpal tunnel acting up. I've studied Flamenco briefly but hope to get more into it. My main love is Tango, Opera pieces and Mozart. I do hope to get a high end classical but I'd like a Torres and no one seems to make them in cedar or with the 650 scale, and 50mm nut. I find this is most comfortable for me - the Cordoba was a pleasant surprise, though and I really didn't plan to buy it before this weekend changed my mind - my bills had something to do with it as well...

Too bad Kenny Hill doesn't make his Torres in cedar at an afford price for us blue collar working folks.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Hi Laura,

You will find tons of nice classical guitars with 650mm scale and 52mm nut (Torres dimensions)... those are the "standard" dimensions in use for most classical guitars today. If you want a classical, you will get many suggestions if you list your budget. If you were saving for a new custom flamenco, you should plan on at least $2,500.

I had a chance to play a GK Studio for a week and it is muy flamenco... very nice low and fast set up right out of the box, and the Cypress/Spruce construction is excellent (the smell of the cypress is intoxicating). You will find this guitar great for anything you strum HARD, of course for flamenco and rhumba, and also for the blues... this is about as blues as you can get in nylon. For the price, you got a really excellent guitar.

Enjoy!
BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks BD. I know that the Classical will cost me about the price range you mention - possibly higher. In fact the hand made guitar I was planning to buy was $3,200.00 and sadly now on hold. When I'm in a better position to buy a high end guitar I'll probably ask for luthier recommendations here. Thanks for the feedback on the GK. For the price, I'm absolutely blown away by how nice it sounded and felt to play. Looking forward to receiving it soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 PM

So when do you expect to receive it? Sounds like a great early Christmas gift to yourself. Keep us posted with a review and pics once it arrives.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Not sure, but soon. I'm in Massachusetts and it's coming from Virginia so it shouldn't take long. It's actually a belated birthday gift, but since my birthday was back in October, it's now an early Christmas gift. What's nice about this guitar is I don't have to run out and buy an amplifier because it's loud even without it. Can't wait to tickle the strings....
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM

Gotoh 510 tuners do rule! They are considered one of the best tuners made regardless of price. The lower grade Gotoh and Schaller's $50-$90 are considered good lower grade tuners and Rubner's have their fans especially at the price points they can be had for. Rubner's can be very aesthetically pleasing as well. If you opt for them go with the teflon bearing option. There is a guy on E-Bay that I have purchased some from who sells the complete line
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Nap View Post
Too bad Kenny Hill doesn't make his Torres in cedar at an afford price for us blue collar working folks.
You would have to look for his Almeria which was made in either Paracho, Mexico, or Guangzhou, China (depending on the year it was built). This model is not available with a cedar top though.

I can't recall anyone else (of a reputation that I'd trust) who makes an affordable Torres copy except for the Montalvo line from Berkeley Music Exchange. They currently have one with a cedar top (scroll to the bottom). They once offered one with a shallow flamenco body. Because these are notable variations from the original design, these instruments should be played in-person to ascertain that their tone meets your taste.

Unless you are purposefully looking for a smaller-bodied classical, I wouldn't be so hung-up on the build style (Torres, Miguel Rodriguez, Hauser, Romanillos etc). A good luthier can make a good guitar based on almost any design.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical