The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Default Short Scale Electrics

What are some nice, vintage short scale electrics?
I'm talking guitars comparable to:

- Memphis A2
- Supro Ozark
Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Well one is short and the other isn't. Tons of 3/4 size guitars out there, which would be like the Memphis. But why not just get a Memphis? Not super expensive.

But for vintage the easiest would be Fender mustangs. Gibson short scale melody maker would be harder and more expensive. Tons of stuff out there.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:49 PM

Good ideas.
Thanks!

Now that I look, I do see some different Ozarks with longer scales.
But this is the model that made me mention it: https://reverb.com/item/11063596-supro-ozark-black

Also, I think maybe the Thunderstick may be an option.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
Good ideas.
Thanks!

Now that I look, I do see some different Ozarks with longer scales.
But this is the model that made me mention it: https://reverb.com/item/11063596-supro-ozark-black

Also, I think maybe the Thunderstick may be an option.
My bad. I should know better. lots of companies like supro had full scale and short scale versions of the same model! If you have the budget, a short scale melody maker would be sweet!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Fender Mustang has a 24" scale length.
Fender Alternate Reality Series has a Tenor Tele with a 22.75" scale length.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
What are some nice, vintage short scale electrics?
I'm talking guitars comparable to:

- Memphis A2
- Supro Ozark
I've not experienced either model you mention for sound or player feel.

It's not as obscure or with the same funky visual vibe of the old department store guitars, but let me add the Fender Jaguar to the discussion. I own the Squier version, but if price isn't an issue there are other new and of course vintage ones available.

It's really a underappreciated voice in the Fender design history. 24" so I can make some chord extension reaches a bit easier. The Jaguar/Jazzmaster vibrato system is one half of a great system. I have guitars with Stratocaster and Bigsby style, but I often feel the Jag/JM system is the best as far as the arm/spring action (and of course the comes free with the system "Zither goes surfing" feature available from playing behind the bridge!) The floating bridge is a bit of an art to setup for modern strings and playing techniques, but there are ways and several "hot rod mods" for those that want to go that route. Anyone interested in things with the funky vibe of the models you're talking about shouldn't find the Jag bridge automatically disqualifying, and there have been fixed bridge mods (and even official models) too if vibrato isn't your thing.

And if Steve DeRosa reads this thread he'll remind us that you can use heavier flat-wound strings on a Jaguar for that vintage sound. I tried that briefly several years ago and may not have given it enough of a try. I currently use a common round wound .010 set on mine and my only mod to let me do regular finger vibrato is to put a small "reverse" shim in the neck pocket so I can raise the saddles a bit.

I cut my teeth on Telecasters. The Jaguar on the bridge pickup isn't a Tele (what is?) but it'll do your Telecaster bright cut thing very well. The old "strangle" circuit has it's funky charm, and I've sort of grown to appreciate the "rhythm" circuit option. I find the neck pickup sort of like the Strat middle pickup sound.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-13-2020, 02:45 PM

The LP junior and SG come to mind

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars