The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Default 2018 Advanced Jumbo RI or 2018 Hummingbird

Greetings all,

I just joined this great forum.

I am in a bit of a decision-making dilemma and was hoping for feedback/advice/opinion. I also posted this in the Gibson Forum but am also doing so here for varied opinion.

I recently purchased a 2018 Advanced Jumbo RI and a 2018 Hummingbird from the same dealer. He was nice enough to tell me to try both and return one. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to keep both. Therein lies my dilemma! I love them both, they’re just different.

The AJ is powerful, loud, raw and has more sustain. It also finger picks well. It is a beautiful vintage sunburst. I like the look of it better than the Bird.

The Bird is more mellow, softer, but its voice is richer and more enchanting (to me at least). It is short scale so a little easier to play. The Bird also has a LL Baggs Element VTC pickup which I don’t see myself using. It is colored in a heritage cherry burst which isn’t my favorite (maybe the color will grow on me?)

By way of background, I am no pro or performer. I will not quit my day job LoL. I just jam (and record) in my studio with some buddies, one of which is a very light handed drummer. A lot of times I will simply play and sing to/with my children and buddies. I play lots of Beatles, Johnny Cash, CCR, John Denver, Neil Young, Stones, Zeppelin, Simon and Garfunkel and some more modern rock.

Also by way of background, I have (and still love) a 2015 Martin D18 which has been my go-to acoustic since 2015. I recently got the itch for a Gibson sounding acoustic and hence the acquisition of the AJ and Bird. I also have a Fender Strat and a Godin 5th Avenue arch top.

So...I love both the AJ and the Bird for the different reasons listed above. I cannot decide which to keep, and unfortunately cannot keep both. I know that the guitar has to speak to me, but the problem is that they both do! If you were me, which one would you keep, AJ or Bird?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:39 PM

I'm a big fan of my Hummingbird as a vocal accompaniment. I'm of the opinion that the AJ is a GREAT guitar as well, no slight there in the least. That being said if I had a good D-18 already I'd keep the Hummingbird.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

If you are strumming and singing, the Bird hands down. If you are flatpicking fiddle tunes, then go with the AJ. But the AJ is not the “typical” Gibson short scale sound. The J-45 and the Hummingbird are.

I once owned an AJ which I kept for over a year and eventually sold to fund a killer J-45. The J-45 was my strumming and church service guitar for almost 5 years. I think if I ever own another Gibson again, I’d like to try a Hummingbird Vintage with the torrefied Sitka top...that is if I can find one with a nice fat deep neck (almost impossible).

Enjoy!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 12-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Do you have to keep one? I ask only because based on your comments about both guitars, a J-45 would likely check all the boxes.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I think the AJ is the unsung hero of the Gibson lineup. I own a custom shop version and love it. Never been a big fan of the Hummingbird. Also have a SJ-200 Standard but I prefer the standard scale length. As Brendan said...a lot of it has to do with your playing style. If you prefer short scale the Hummingbird might suit you better. If I was going with a short scale Gibson it would likely be a J-45/50 or SJ model. Just never played a square shoulder Gibson that made me want to take it home? Just my two cents...best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 12-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Do you have to keep one? I ask only because based on your comments about both guitars, a J-45 would likely check all the boxes.
Ataylor, I did try three J45’s but they left me wanting. I’m sure there are great J45’s out there, I’ve heard great ones. Maybe it was those three particular instruments that I tried, but they didn’t speak to me. I found the tone of the Hummingbird and AJ (however different from each other) more appealing.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dilettante,
Bird.

So, I’m prejudiced. If I owned one large-bodied guitar, it’d be mahogany, not rosewood. That’s me. But there is no wrong choice, really. AJs are classics.

And welcome to the forum.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 12-16-2019, 04:59 PM

In my experience, the Advanced Jumbo is a far more musically versatile guitar than the Hummingbirds typically are. I don't normally use my AJ for flatpicking fiddle tunes - although it's nice to have the option, should I suddenly develop a compelling urge to start doing that. I'm essentially a rhythm guitarist, and fingerpick some and play a few lead lines and intros here and there.

The AJ handles all of it.

If you like the sound of the AJ better, which you wrote you did, the more you play it the richer and lusher sounding it will become. The AJ will also project far better than the Hummingbird will in any group situation, whether it's in a Worship & Praise group with other players of various skill levels thrashing away in an undisciplined way, or in a bluegrass jam session where you can, yes, flatpick fiddle tunes.

I like using it for rock and roll music, as well. It can and does handle any kind of music I throw at it.

So while I realize that we're not actually voting here (not a single person asked to see my voter registration card or picture ID!) but - personally - I think you'll be a lot better off if you hang onto the AJ. It'll only get better the more you play it.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-16-2019, 05:09 PM

I own 1 of each, and if I had to get rid of one, it would be the Bird. By your own opinion, you prefer the sound of the AJ.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:36 PM

AJ by a country mile.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
AJ by a country mile.
Hummingbird. By two miles.

The Hummingbird seems better suited to your current musical activities, especially if you already own a D-18. Mellow is good, especially in the studio.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
Ataylor, I did try three J45’s but they left me wanting. I’m sure there are great J45’s out there, I’ve heard great ones. Maybe it was those three particular instruments that I tried, but they didn’t speak to me. I found the tone of the Hummingbird and AJ (however different from each other) more appealing.
Gotcha. In that case, it’s a little trickier! Either way you’ll end up with a good one.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:20 PM

What do you guys think of the Heritage Cherry color on the Hummingbird? A little vibrant, to say the least. Not sure if it’ll grow on me.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
What do you guys think of the Heritage Cherry color on the Hummingbird? A little vibrant, to say the least. Not sure if it’ll grow on me.
I like it a lot.

As info, had an AJ; have two Hummingbirds, fwiw.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-18-2019, 04:58 AM

I have a great deal of affection for the AJ having owned and loved one which sadly had to be sold. If I found another good one the D-18 would go to finance it. I dislike short scale Gibson guitars, so I guess that's your answer!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion