The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-18-2024, 06:04 AM

Default Repair or Not - Advice Needed

You guys are awesome! I appreciate everyoneís advice and suggestions. Iím going to leave this one to a professional, if I choose to have it repaired.
Kauer Korona
Old 06-18-2024, 06:14 PM

From what I can see in your photos (not one of which is a head on view) those are not dings in the wood and steaming will do them no good at all.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:55 AM

Default Fill, level, polishÖ

Steaming dents and scratches can work very well but as youíve found runs the risk of damaging the surrounding finish.

Iíd suggest filling with GluBoost Fill Ďní Finish. Take a look on their website for the most suitable products. The Original and Thin products are the ones I use along their accelerator.

You would need to build up the finish in a few sessions then scrape nearly flush with a taped blade, before finishing with fine abrasives. StewMac offer Kovax Tolecut kits that are brilliant for this type of work.

With care this sort of repair is very doable. It wonít be invisible but it will be much, much better.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

If it was in my shop I would use GluBoost with MasterTint
Old 06-20-2024, 06:42 AM

Iíve found a reputable luthier here in GA that will do a drop fill with nitro for $300-$400. I think that is a fair price for the project.
Kauer Korona
Old 06-20-2024, 10:47 AM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
Iíve found a reputable luthier here in GA that will do a drop fill with nitro for $300-$400. I think that is a fair price for the project.
All day! Go for it.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:26 AM

It's strange that others seem to be seeing a top with dings or scratches in the clear coat that need only to be filled. I'm seeing scratches that go into the color coats that need color matching before they are filled. The color matching is the hard part.

But since the OP thinks he just needs a drop fill, I may not be seeing it right.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
It's strange that others seem to be seeing a top with dings or scratches in the clear coat that need only to be filled. I'm seeing scratches that go into the color coats that need color matching before they are filled. The color matching is the hard part.

But since the OP thinks he just needs a drop fill, I may not be seeing it right.

You are seeing it correctly. The guy that is doing the drop and fill said that it really needs to be stopped and repainted. Furthermore, he said it would need the neck and bridge removed to properly repair it. That would run about $1,200 and be in the shop for three months. I told him that Iíll have it done when it needs a neck reset down the road.

He did say that the drop fill will get it looking about 50% better than it looks now. For $300-$400, that sounds like a good deal.
Kauer Korona
Old 06-20-2024, 06:34 PM

Default Nitro

In my opinion I would give it a try. you cant possibly make it any worse using proven guidelines.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:14 PM

Default Colour tint firstÖ

If the scratches go through the finish to bare wood as Howard remarked then tinting prior to filling will be needed. Worth looking at the other GluBoost tinting products.

A good repair person should be able to tint any bare wood before drop filling. Getting a perfect result is near impossible, but a decent one eminently doable.
Old 06-21-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
Maybe get a quote from these guys? All they do is finish guitars. I don't know if they do repair work.

https://vancouverguitarfinishing.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair