The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

....chicks dig em...
Old 02-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

OK, I'll bite.

Because some of us prefer the sound of a BALANCED guitar. And not all musical expression is based on a "growl",... Big guitars or OK for strummers, I prefer a more refined approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Ok, I love the big sound, the dreadnought Martin growl. But a smaller acoustic for a smaller sound? Why spend thousands on a smaller sounding guitar?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Our perception of tone has been perverted by amplificaton amnd those dreaded tonepots!
Our perception is also affected by recording, which is how we share our observations about these things.

Seems to me that with most big guitars in most rooms, you can't record a balanced, non-boomy sound from less than two feet away. And most untreated rooms in people's homes don't lend themselves to good-sounding recordings.

So two feet away in a bad-sounding room will yield a recording of a tonally-balanced guitar in a bad-sounding room. If you like that, fine. But you may find that you like the recorded sound of a smaller guitar with the mic one foot away in your bad-sounding room a lot better.

Beauty, in this case, is in the ear of the beholder. And if you can't invite all those ears over to your place to behold the beauty and enormity of your Dread in person, it's something you may want to consider.

Couch Standards
Old 02-09-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I really appreciate Silly’s video. For me, it is ultimately about balance. I love a good dread but a shoulder injury just doesn’t make that size comfortable. I have two custom made guitars that give me all the tone, volume, projection with pleasing bass, mids and treble for my ears. One is a deeper body grand concert and the other is a slightly scaled down slope dread shape.

I have never played my guitars and had anyone say “Too bad it’s not a dread.” For me it is all about making beautiful music and that can be accomplished on a variety of different sized guitars depending on the player.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Variety is the spice of life.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 02-09-2020, 11:08 AM

I don't why everyone doesn't love shrimp scampi. It's delicious, and everyone should eat it!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Because some of us prefer the sound of a BALANCED guitar. And not all musical expression is based on a "growl",... Big guitars or OK for strummers, I prefer a more refined approach.

OK, I'll bite back.

Michael Hedges...Martin D-28

Pierre Bensusan...Lowden Jumbo..."The Old Lady"

Ed Gerhard...Ervin Somogyi "Non" Modified Dreadnaught, Breedlove Ed Gerhard Signature Jumbo and Dreadnaughts, Breedlove J-25 12 string Jumbo

Leo Kottke...Taylor LKSM 6 and 12 string Jumbo

Andy McKee...Greenfield G4 jumbo.

Are those guys refined enough for ya...{;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Here is what you want a smaller-bodied guitar for:

0-1:54, witness the genius of Richard Bennett.

You simply can't get that light, balanced sound with a dread, especially for fingerstyle. And that's why my session kit includes both.

Horses for courses.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Because I like the way an OM-21 sounds.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Guest 33123

Don't post while drunk, dude...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 AM

People buy smaller acoustic guitars for the same reason people buy a certain car type over another. It simply comes down to personal preference in aesthetics, handling, output, and use case.

For some, that’s a pickup truck. For others, it’s a luxury sedan. Some may prefer a sporty coupe. Some might opt for an all-wheel-drive utility vehicle. Those with kids might rock a minivan. Those whose kids have grown might splash out on a vintage muscle car. And so on and so forth.

Guitars fall into similar categories. Many prefer the classic look and full sound of a dreadnought. Others like the sweetness and balance of a small jumbo or orchestra model. Some like the shimmer of a big 12-string. Some like the intimacy and responsiveness of a little parlor guitar. Those who play up the neck might opt for a cutaway. Those who don’t might prefer a traditional look, perhaps even a 12-fret body shape.

I tend to gravitate towards a dreadnought, but can see why different body shapes and styles are appealing, and can even see why a dreadnought might not be ideal for someone — not unlike the way I can see that a big pickup might not be ideal for someone who lives in an apartment building and needs a little commuter car, or that a classic sports car might not be a smart choice for someone who needs to chauffeur a handful of kids to various school and sports events.

There are lots of great guitars out there at every price point and in so many styles and shapes and configurations that there should be something out there for about everyone. Play what you like and enjoy!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
This is Paul Davids from the Netherlands - he's a great musician, a great communicator, and his videos are far more clever than I could ever do.

But in this he's using a Martin dreadnought and a Collings OM - the two largest body shapes (if you ignore super jumbos whch are just about middle)

Martin Dreads (14 fretters at least) were designed to be bass biased, but Collings decided to follow the pre 1934 Martin ethos of true balance.

Our perception of tone has been perverted by amplificaton amnd those dreaded tonepots!

BTW - smaller bodies aren't necessarily less louder than larger.

Good fun Andy. I enjoyed your morning “rant.” Keep them coming.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Default I don't get it. why would anyone want a small body acoustic?

A short-list of possible reasons:
  • Physically unable to handle a larger instrument (common among older members on this site, as well as petite/younger players)
  • Use as a "couch" guitar, where a larger body would be uncomfortable
  • A "grab-&-go" instrument for jamming, travel, open mics, etc.
  • Pen-&-ink songwriting/arranging at a desk, where a larger guitar would get in the way (I borrow my wife's Guild F-20 all the time for this purpose)
  • Better-suited to certain styles when used solo
  • To fill a specific sonic space in an ensemble arrangement, especially when the smaller instrument is capoed; FYI in the 1800's Martin (among others) made small terz, quart, and quint guitars - tuned a third, fourth, and fifth higher than standard respectively - for this reason
  • To achieve a specific tonality unachievable with any other instrument (the aforementioned Guild is an incredible acoustic-lead guitar: the midrange punch of a 16" archtop, the sustain of a flattop, and substantial volume)
I've played/preferred larger instruments all my life (still do) - mostly dreads and 17" jumbos - but I'm seriously thinking in terms of adding an 0/00-size guitar to my collection...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
[*]To achieve a specific tonality unachievable with any other instrument (the aforementioned Guild is an incredible acoustic-lead guitar: the midrange punch of a 16" archtop, the sustain of a flattop, and substantial volume)
I've been seeing a huge local uptick in the number of people with smaller mahogany Martins. A different category of instrument that wants to be played with a different approach and feel. I like 'em.

Couch Standards
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
OK, I'll bite.

]

Just the word I was going to post. BALANCED.

I'm a dread guy through and through, but when I play fingerstyle an OM or smaller-bodied is really the bomb. Love both, for different tunes and playing situations.

scott memmer
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion