The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 04:13 PM

Default "Auditioning" to Play in a restaurant/bar

I'm getting up the nerve to audition for a weekend gig at a local restaurant/bar. I'm comfortable with my playing and singing but am wondering how long a "set" should be. I've got about 2 to 2 1/2 hours before I'd have to start repeating songs. Is this adequate and what tips could ya'll give me as this would be my first time at something like this.

Martin D-35
Martin HD-28e
Taylor 914ce
Taylor GS Mini
D'angelico ES1
Yamaha FG-150
Old 02-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

A LOT of people play a lot longer with a lot less. No shame in repeating, especially in a restuarant where there's more frequent turnover of customers. It'll be new to them!

Whatever you got, it never hurts to have some of the easy sing-along type stuff tucked away for the right time and the right crowd.

Sounds like a fun opportunity. Have fun and the patrons will, too.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentwinterton View Post
I'm getting up the nerve to audition for a weekend gig at a local restaurant/bar. I'm comfortable with my playing and singing but am wondering how long a "set" should be. I've got about 2 to 2 1/2 hours before I'd have to start repeating songs. Is this adequate and what tips could ya'll give me as this would be my first time at something like this.

Martin D-35
Martin HD-28e
Taylor 914ce
Taylor GS Mini
D'angelico ES1
Yamaha FG-150
It probably varies locally but all the bar gigs I know of around here schedule 3 hours for live music, though that usually includes a break or two. Most of that is evening or weekend work. A friend of mine plays around lunchtime weekdays and while those are only maybe 90 minutes, the pay is abysmal. But this is very site-specific.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

You shouldn't need that much music for an 'audition'. Sounds like you are playing a full show. For free. An 'audition' should be a YouTube video with a 5 minute recording of short clips of 10 or 15 of your best songs. If they want live play then an open mic where you play 3-5 songs. I've seen places hire based on that. If someplace asks you to play a full 3 hour show as an audition, I'd walk away. Unless it was your idea and you're just looking to get experience. But in most cases you won't get hired back. That's been my experience around here.

As for stretching out a limited number of songs to fill 3 hours, take your breaks, light and humorous banter with the audience but don't overdo it. Sip your water, wipe down yourself and your instrument and tune from time to time. Make sure you're really practicing with a metronome! Start songs off a little slower than usual as you'll end up speeding up a bit from nerves. If you start off fast you'll be going death-metal band fast by the end and your 2 to 2.5 hours of music will be done in about an hour.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Not sure how I feel about a 3 hour unpaid gig as an audition. Sounds to me like the venue is just trying get free music from desperate performers.

I'm going to go against the grain of what you've already been told and say that you should make sure you have plenty of material to cover the entire gig without repeating songs. While the crowd may turn over, the management and staff will be there all night and they will see repeating songs as unprofessional. This comes from a lot of experience gigging. I'll generally play close to 150 shows per year.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You shouldn't need that much music for an 'audition'. Sounds like you are playing a full show. For free. An 'audition' should be a YouTube video with a 5 minute recording of short clips of 10 or 15 of your best songs. If they want live play then an open mic where you play 3-5 songs. I've seen places hire based on that. If someplace asks you to play a full 3 hour show as an audition, I'd walk away. Unless it was your idea and you're just looking to get experience. But in most cases you won't get hired back. That's been my experience around here.

As for stretching out a limited number of songs to fill 3 hours, take your breaks, light and humorous banter with the audience but don't overdo it. Sip your water, wipe down yourself and your instrument and tune from time to time. Make sure you're really practicing with a metronome! Start songs off a little slower than usual as you'll end up speeding up a bit from nerves. If you start off fast you'll be going death-metal band fast by the end and your 2 to 2.5 hours of music will be done in about an hour.

Good luck and have fun.
I think you read the OP post wrong. I believe he's saying he has an audition for a gig and asking about how much music he should be prepared to play for a gig.

I do, however, echo your point that you should always get paid (other than reasonable audition). So many places are offering to pay with "exposure". They can eat dirt. Tell them to serve you meals and drinks for free and you'll tell your friends how great the restaurant is....bet they won't think it's such a good deal.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:09 PM

Audition: about an hour...........talk to the Mgr, if he likes you, he'll tell you to do some more and maybe even comp you drinks and dinner. I he says you are not what he's looking for.........grab a beer and pack it up !!!

if you are hired you should have a regular scheduled time, and the Mgr should let you know ~~~

we used 45 on 20 off but the weekends or Holiday night...........

40 on, 20 off generally. Now if you see you are drawing a crowd and the house is filling up, you should "let it eat" ~~~ Play up tempo, but not overly loud until you see the house slowing down, and break for 15 and see if the house is ready for more !!! Good Luck !!!
Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 PM

To answer your question, it usually depends on the venue. Some places I play want at least 40 minutes per set. That would be 40 on / 20 off. When left to my own preferences, I play 55 on / 10 off, 55 on / 10 off, 50 on - then done. Three hours = 3 sets. I do it that way so I end on the hour.

You can always slow your roll and make a 3 minute song 4 minutes extending your play time by 25%. Add in a little banter and a 20-minute meal break in the middle (Some do. I don't) and you've turned 120 minutes of play time into 2.5 hours.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:00 PM

Can you perhaps add some clarity to what you mean by “audition”?

If it’s a free audition, I would just say that I did free auditions early in my career and guess how many resulted in paid gigs?

Zero.

Hope I’m wrong. By the way, I do 45-50 minute sets with a 10-15 min break.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentwinterton View Post
....."Auditioning" to Play in a restaurant/bar
I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. For me, an audition would be sending them a video of a performance or 4 or 5 song clips along with a photo packet.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

40 on / 15 off is standard in our area. However as a practical matter we play for an hour, take 15 then play 45 minute sets. This allows us to end the night on the hour, and works no matter how long the gig is supposed to be.

As to repeating songs, it’s not a concert and in a restaurant setting no one in the audience is going to be there all night; so you’ll be fine with the amount of material you have.

As to whether you should play for free as an audition, I agree with those who say you should do it only for an hour if at all. However, you do what you feel you have to do to get established.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
40 on / 15 off is standard in our area. However as a practical matter we play for an hour, take 15 then play 45 minute sets. This allows us to end the night on the hour, and works no matter how long the gig is supposed to be.
I thought that was standard everywhere? It certainly is where I live. Except one place, they had a sign posted behind the bandstand so they could get extra time out of you, even though they never mentioned it when they booked us. (I never took a second gig here no matter the pay) I played our normal 4 sets like you explained above and left. I wasn't playing till 1:30. 1 was already too late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schedule.jpg (31.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-06-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I thought that was standard everywhere? It certainly is where I live. Except one place, they had a sign posted behind the bandstand so they could get extra time out of you, even though they never mentioned it when they booked us. (I never took a second gig here no matter the pay) I played our normal 4 sets like you explained above and left. I wasn't playing till 1:30. 1 was already too late.
Uggg! 4-1/2 hour gig? With a 1 hour last set, better be REAL good pay.

To the OP (or anyone), if your 'audition' is a full night's gig, I always recommend (if the hiring manager is hesitant) offering a slightly-discounted first night - so if you would get $200 normally, say you will do the first one for $150.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Uggg! 4-1/2 hour gig? With a 1 hour last set, better be REAL good pay.

To the OP (or anyone), if your 'audition' is a full night's gig, I always recommend (if the hiring manager is hesitant) offering a slightly-discounted first night - so if you would get $200 normally, say you will do the first one for $150.
It wasn't that's why I never went back. However, I played a 6 hour gig on Kentucky Derby day once. 2-8pm. The owner kept throwing money at us to play another set so it made it worth our whiles. Plus it wasn't too late. No repeats, I was pretty proud of that!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:03 AM

I don't know what you "audition" entails??? Playing for the manager during off hours? Playing for a crowd to see their response? Either way, someone hiring you should be able to assess your talent/ability level within 3-5 songs (IMO). They should vary a lot in keys and in tempo.

For gigs, on a 2 hour job we play - 55 mins-1hout take a 10-15 minute break and play 45-50.

On three hour gigs we start the same way and add a 10-15 minute or so break before the last set. If the crowd is attentive and fun we take shorter breaks to keep them engaged.

If you have 2.5 hours of material, you can carry off a gig with no repeats. Figure about 3 minutes per song.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion