The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 PM

Astros gave an apology yesterday. Wasn't much of one. More players on opposing teams are coming out stating how upset they are.

Still waiting for the Red Sox outcome.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 PM

Yeah, this is pretty pathetic. Don’t know what can be done at this point. Don’t think they’re gonna give up their rings!
Scott
Old 02-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Astros gave an apology yesterday. Wasn't much of one. More players on opposing teams are coming out stating how upset they are.

Still waiting for the Red Sox outcome.
Astros "apology" contained zero remorse, and at this point is disingenuous, IMHO.
The owner's claim (2 days ago) that they won the world series doesn't diminish the fact that it will always be considered tarnished. I still say they should strip them of the title, but it will never happen.
LarryK.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:38 PM

I stopped watching MLB years ago after the records started falling all over the place because of the drug use, and every day started seeing another player in jail on some thug behavior charge...

But IMO, nothing..the behavior or the cheating is going to change...not now, not in the future.

The fans and owners want winners, and "dirty" championships are preferred to no championships...

As long as the wallets keep paying and the butts keep filling the seats, it's going to be "business as usual"...

I just don't care anymore...
Old 02-18-2020, 07:21 PM

More players are coming out criticizing the Astros and Manfred, including the mild mannered Mike Trout.

How about LeBron James coming out today and criticizing Manfred and the Astros? Surprised he came out but now that he has I'm guessing more non-MLB players will come out as well.

It's a mess.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

As my brother-in-law pointed out to me, there has been cheating in baseball forever. Doesn't make it right. It would seem to me, you develop your team, and you trust their own native abilities. I've always enjoyed baseball. This kind of cheating makes me want to not watch it anymore, but I don't want to throw out the baby with bath water.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 02-18-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
As my brother-in-law pointed out to me, there has been cheating in baseball forever.
What exactly are you talking about, what cheating, doing what?

I would say that cheating on this level has not gone on in the past.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Cheating as an individual is by a person with weak character and no ethics. Institutionalized cheating is a whole other situation and means the institution needs to be eliminated. Society today is the product of an overabundance of institutionalized cheating. It is or has become the new norm and is taken as a natural unavoidable fact of life. Not by my choice or buy in by the way.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-19-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

He reminded me of the drug use in the '90s when all those "sluggers" were breaking records, and some other cheating events that I can't quote exactly. Yes, Valley Guy, this cheating is on a much bigger level, which is why I'd like to see the whole Astros team kicked out of the majors. I know that's an extreme reaction, but it is an offense that offends me. I've enjoyed baseball since I was a little girl going to games with my Dad.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 AM

Yes the steroid era definitely involved some players using steroids and thus cheating. But, a number of them were penalized. Some were not penalized because of the inability to test for some of those substances. Once the tests became commonplace, steroid use stopped. So to say cheating is commonplace is a little misleading.

I agree with you, the team should forfeit a year, players not paid, etc.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic