The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Talk to the Hand

https://www.morningbrew.com/emerging...based-payments

I love to use Apple Pay. Scanning my phone over the point of purchase thing-a-ma-bob is so much faster and more secure than credit cards. It's a little thing but I do love it so.

But my hand?

Old 01-21-2020, 02:09 PM

They have a palm scanner at every location of my local health system. It never, EVER works for me and they end up having to check me in by manually typing in my name and asking for my ID. Clearly I'm against this idiotic payment method for the same reason. It simply will not be faster for some people and I'd hate to be waiting in a line while some clerk tries to figure out what to do next. It really doesn't matter that much to me anyway as I almost exclusively pay by cash. Yes cash. The most secure, private and (generally) fastest method possible.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:32 PM

My inner germophobe has already been telling me don't use the scanners at one of our health care providers.

Next is privacy. The Apple Pay schema doesn't give the merchant your credit card number. It would be worse give out such private information to more parties and some you might not trust or trust as much as others.

For now, the Apple Watch is plenty convenient and microchipping has out there as an option. I believe Sweden has been in the news for that and this firm in my state made news a few years ago.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-its-employees
Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
. It really doesn't matter that much to me anyway as I almost exclusively pay by cash. Yes cash. The most secure, private and (generally) fastest method possible.
...and the very next form of payment to become extinct and for the very reasons you list. You heard it here first.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
https://www.morningbrew.com/emerging...based-payments

I love to use Apple Pay. Scanning my phone over the point of purchase thing-a-ma-bob is so much faster and more secure than credit cards. It's a little thing but I do love it so.

But my hand?
That’s interesting. I use Apple Pay and Credit Cards and find they both seem to take the same amount of time. I kinda like the text verification associated with Apple Pay, but you still have to pull out your phone, it gets scanned in, I sign and walk away. Not much different than a CC with a chip.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
They have a palm scanner at every location of my local health system. It never, EVER works for me and they end up having to check me in by manually typing in my name and asking for my ID. Clearly I'm against this idiotic payment method for the same reason. It simply will not be faster for some people and I'd hate to be waiting in a line while some clerk tries to figure out what to do next. It really doesn't matter that much to me anyway as I almost exclusively pay by cash. Yes cash. The most secure, private and (generally) fastest method possible.
Yeah, seems unlikely to be too snappy, that was my first reaction as well. Also just kind of creepy.

RE: Cash, whatever works for you. I just love never having to sign for a credit card, not having to go to an ATM for cash, not having to punch in zip code for gas. Just works for me. Also nice not to have to risk getting robbed at an ATM. Good to have options.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:38 AM

My new phone has a fingerprint ID thing so its not necessary to punch in the unlock code. yeah, right... My left hand forefinger print has not been usable for decades!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele