The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2020, 11:14 PM

They don't indicate what it costs anywhere, do they? Have they not announced it?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Does anyone know if you can download impulses to this? I have a Godin Multiac with an LB6 pickup, but that wouldn't be much of an acoustic source for programming an impulse.
There actually have been a few Multiac models which employ Aura IC (IC for image casting) to model the sound of regular acoustic guitars. The thin-bodied Multiacs have proven to be a good platform guitar for modeling. For your particular Multiac, however, it would probably be best to use the Soundscape box and your smart phone to get a Voiceprint from a nice acoustic guitar which has the same model of pickup (Baggs LB6) installed.

I once had a little 00 size Cort guitar with a Fishman UST which sounded great with one of the OM sound images in the Aura Spectrum DI. I was essentially modeling with the Spectrum and that guitar.

James May has used ToneDexter and a Yamaha Silent guitar to model with a WaveMap created from a UST-equipped regular acoustic.

I just bought a small-bodied, all-mahogany Alvarez guitar which might be good for modeling. (Mahogany tops are said to produce fewer overtones than other top woods.) Tomorrow I'll experiment a bit and try using it with a variety of ToneDexter WaveMaps created with larger guitars.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That's certainly their goal. It's actually a bit surprising, when you consider how long their main competitor has had the Aura, that they haven't done this until now. But they've taken a different approach, so there are benefits to waiting. Fishman didn't have an option to leverage the supercomputer that's in everyone's hands now back when they first did the Aura.
The Baggs folks have surprised me too. I never imagined that they'd go digital at all. To their credit, sticking with the "analog way" for so long did force them to come up with inventive ways of combining multiple sources.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-09-2020 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That's certainly their goal. It's actually a bit surprising, when you consider how long their main competitor has had the Aura, that they haven't done this until now. But they've taken a different approach, so there are benefits to waiting. Fishman didn't have an option to leverage the supercomputer that's in everyone's hands now back when they first did the Aura.
Presumably Mama Bear is one of the early not-Aura IR products sold to acoustic guitarists. It would appear whatever patent protection Fishman had with their license of the original Aura is not worth enforcing or unenforceable.

I think LR Baggs has always had an eye towards how to get a great sound with excellent battery life. Clearly something Aura can't do (and Taylor's ES systems seem to almost go out of their way to not do).

The cell phone angle avoids the Audio Sprockets patent, reduces the product cost, and saves the end user from having to own a mic. Also the cell phone is a much friendlier software development environment compared to a RTOS in a pedal, but the Android/IOS problem means some work needs to be done twice.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 AM

Hmmm ... for all of these type of units, what if your natural guitar doesn't sound all that great, or at least not the way you'd like it to sound?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Hmmm ... for all of these type of units, what if your natural guitar doesn't sound all that great, or at least not the way you'd like it to sound?
I have a guitar like that. It plays great, thanks to an overhaul by luthier Dave Wendler, but its not the best sounding guitar acoustically. It needs a little outside EQ help when I use it with ToneDexter. TD's shelving EQ is good for "quick and dirty" EQ at the gig, but this guitar requires a more precise cut around 1.2 KHz to please my ears when amplified.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Well in that case, I don't think those people would be as concerned about capturing the true tone of their guitar in a live setting. With that said, I have heard terrible sounding guitars (unplugged) that sound incredible with a Fishman Matrix and Aura pairing.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Interesting concept:

I also was not completely "wow-ed" per se. The first demo actually had a fair amount of quack going on. And quite honestly I am not to sure the old Fishman Matrix system mic /pickup blend system that came on my 1999 Taylor 810 ce ,, sounds less quacky when strummed.

The second demo was better but still did not blow my socks off.

The convenience factor is arguably the both the strong and weak point .
Being able to use just your phone and the Baggs unit is no doubt very very appealing
Being limited to the mic and converters of the smart phone is well , limiting.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-09-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Well in that case, I don't think those people would be as concerned about capturing the true tone of their guitar in a live setting. With that said, I have heard terrible sounding guitars (unplugged) that sound incredible with a Fishman Matrix and Aura pairing.
The original Aura Blender manual had some interesting info about how thin-bodied guitars with "plain Jane" personalities tended to make good modeling platforms for the sound images created from larger guitars.

The manual didn't say it, but I also think it helps if both guitars are equipped with the same make and model of pickup.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
…The second demo was better but still did not blow my socks off.
Hi KW

I heard a lot of 'piezo' artifacts in all their samples. Doug Young said his prototype was better. I hope so.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Shure makes an external mic that attaches to your iphone. That would probably make for a better image creation than the stock phone internal mic.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:33 PM

The regular phone mic might actually be better. For one thing, it’s an omni. Since you are just using it for training and not capturing a recording, an omni might be better. Then there is the matter of what the programmers planned for. The process is going to be built around a standard iPhone mic I’m sure, and whatever compensation they did for that mic might not be appropriate with an external mic.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Let's say I'm not surprised this has been the hottest topic on AGF this week.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Let's say I'm not surprised this has been the hottest topic on AGF this week.
LR Baggs has strayed
From the Analog Way
When things like that happen
There's lots to say
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
LR Baggs has strayed
From the Analog Way
When things like that happen
There's lots to say
Wow. Beautiful.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification