The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2019, 07:03 AM

Default Pedalboard mixer options?

Hey all,

I have a pedalboard all set that I like. Since most of my outings are fairly quiet, I would like to be able to add a mic out in front of the guitar and blend it in with the guitar before going to the guitar input on my amp (Roland AC60). I am looking for a small mixer that is more so the size of a guitar pedal or two. I was looking at the Radial Mix 2:1 as a possible option.

I guess I have two questions.
1.). Will any summing pedal work or do I need something specific since one signal will be microphone and one will be guitar?

2.) Do you all know of any guitar pedal or double pedal sized small mixers that would work for such a purpose?

Also, I do know that I could just use an outboard mixer altogether, but I was just hoping to fit this all on my fairly small pedalboard for convenience.

Either way, thank you all!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Probably the smallest footprint and Most reasonable cost would be the Yamaha MG06X. Decent defects and mic preamps, fairly quiet and can be powered with a power brick and some adapters. I have mine on a pedalboard.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:12 PM

A Zoom A3 pedal has 2 inputs, a 1/4" standard instrument input and an XLR for mic'ing a guitar. Both can be used at the same time.

The Zoom A3 is out of production but can still be found on the used equipment sites.

The Zoom A3 was designed for use with the acoustic guitar and is a very good pedal. There is a learning curve to it.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Thank you! The Yamaha looks decent. I'll have to check to see if I can fit it into my space physically.

I also hadn't ever really looked at the A3. I didn't realize it had a mic input. . I'll check used prices.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Keep in mind that a microphone in front of your guitar will need different eq than your pickup. In most cases you need significant bass roll off in the mic. There are mics like the Neumann KM85 that are made for that purpose, but most mics will sound too boomy. So my advice ist to use a small mixer like the Yamaha for that purpose.
I use an Elite Acoustic stomp mix when gigging with that application. But they are pricey compared to small Yamaha mixer.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 PM

I have had a bunch of iterations of boards like this as my submix rig. You want to look for a "compact mixer" with a couple of XLR inputs.

The Yamaha is fine and has effects.
Currently using a little Mackie one, which is also fine, but no effects.

How you work it just depends on your needs. If you have a bunch of pedals, then this is probably all you need. I don't use any effects in my rig(s), so I eventually gave up on this kind of setup for a solo rig and just grabbed an A&H ZED6fx and I put it, all the cables I need, a tuner, an SM58, and a spare mic clip inside a drybox. Makes for a great solo setup that's a very simple load-in.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I have had a bunch of iterations of boards like this as my submix rig. You want to look for a "compact mixer" with a couple of XLR inputs.

The Yamaha is fine and has effects.
Currently using a little Mackie one, which is also fine, but no effects.

How you work it just depends on your needs. If you have a bunch of pedals, then this is probably all you need. I don't use any effects in my rig(s), so I eventually gave up on this kind of setup for a solo rig and just grabbed an A&H ZED6fx and I put it, all the cables I need, a tuner, an SM58, and a spare mic clip inside a drybox. Makes for a great solo setup that's a very simple load-in.
Smartest thing u ever did! The 'ol in and out! Just add speaker!
Old 12-11-2019, 07:29 PM

@Midwinter & @ Rockabilly69,. What is it about the Allen and Heath that you like particularly over similar mixers? When I look at the Yamaha MG06, it seems to be similar apart from the effects. Is the Allen and Heath just notably better sound quality? (The Yamaha would also be useable potentially with a pedalboard power supply easier than the Allen and Heath, but maybe I wouldn't need a board with the Allen and Heath. Idk.)

Right now, I'm using 4 pedals. I like having an eq pedal available, but I'm not married to any of the four necessarily. I just find them useful.

@ guitarman68, that is solid advice. I probably should stick to a mixer with atleast a little eq control. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

My rig had a similar setup to yours - a few pedals with effects and preamp/EQ but I needed something with a few more inputs for a couple mics and my guitar before my amp. I ended up going with an EAE StompMix X6 which while pricey, also replaced every single pedal I used. I now travel with just that digital mixer which has EQ and effects, plus can be powered by an internal battery which works great with my Bose S1 which I also run on battery. No more cords for power. Two units, my guitar and two mics. Worth a look. It's simple, programmable and intuitive to use. It's designed to sit on the floor and be used with stomp switches. There's a great video online from the company of a guy demoing where he talks about blending multiple guitar inputs like you mention that's pretty good as I recall. I did a video review of mine awhile back that you can find down in my review link if you click on it and then scroll down past the guitars.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Ok, you all have me thinking about trying one of the EAE mixers maybe...

Right now, I play my guitar (Anthem pickup) through my pedalboard into a Roland AC60 as well as a mic into the amp. Then, when accompanied by a bassist and dulcimer player, I run the the two of them into a Roland BA330. Do you guys think I would get better or atleast adequate/equal sound running all of us into an EAE mixer and then into the AC60?

(I am not using these two amps to get a stereo sound or anything. They literally sit one right above the other, so that isn't anything to worry about.

(Also, if you guys think the AEA mixer into the AC60 is better than the two amps., Do you also think I'd be better to sell both amps and play the mixer into a powered speaker?)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post

(Also, if you guys think the AEA mixer into the AC60 is better than the two amps., Do you also think I'd be better to sell both amps and play the mixer into a powered speaker?)
yes - no doubt for me.
only thing you should keep in mind is: the EA StompMix 6 has only two high impedance input for feeding passive pickups. your guitar has an active pickup, so you plug it into channel 5 and you'll be fine. what pickups are the other guys using ?
active speaker recommendation: K10 or K8

Old 12-14-2019, 07:58 PM

So the other two people are my wife and my mom who I am teaching to play bass and dulcimer respectively. Right now, my wife is using an Ibanez acoustic bass with a piezo and an onboard barn door preamp. For the Dulcimer, I have had her using a stick on piezo, but am planning to move to a clip on mic, the Feather. (I think the brand is Myers pickups). So, both are active. I can however change out either one if need be.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
I would like to be able to add a mic out in front of the guitar and blend it in with the guitar before going to the guitar input on my amp (Roland AC60). I am looking for a small mixer that is more so the size of a guitar pedal or two.
It's not inexpensive, but the Grace Felix preamp would be perfect for this: Two channels that can be set to blend or switched between with the foot pedal; one channel for guitar (1/4") and the other can take XLR (with phantom power) or 1/4"; separate EQ for each channel; effects loop; output to an amp or XLR. I love mine
Old 12-15-2019, 04:48 PM

I love my Felix too, and its features and sound quality are nothing but marvelous.
But for a three piece ensemble I would prefer the EA StompMix.

A clip on mic IMHO will sound better on the dulcimer compared to a piezo.

By the way - I'm working on a video to display my approach of the StompMix being a singer/multi-instrumentalist gigging in various bands and using up to six different stringed instruments. With its ten storable mixing scenes the StompMix can take it all including solo boost ... what a nice piece of gear.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:10 PM

The Grace Felix looks like an awesome option, and maybe I should ultimately go that route. It is really hard for me to justify a grand for just a preamp. Do you all think that My Martin DM with an LR Baggs Anthem would be appreciably better going Guitar/Anthem -> Felix -> Roland AC60 than it would just Guitar/Anthem -> AC60?

At the same time, I could more or less buy a EAE Stompmix 4 and a Boss S1 for the same cost. So idk...

Then there is the EAE Stompmix 6 which is perhaps most appealing right now. @guitarman68, I am very interested in your video. .

Going that type of route, Does anyone have opinion on the Stompmix 6 verses competition like the Zoom Livetrack L-8?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification