The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Wade, and this movie is a must-see for me!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I doubt though on a young school teachers salary she could afford the Martin guitar
Let's optimistically call it 30,000 ($38k) a year

Pawn shops, boot sales, Craigslist, eBay, Reverb, closeout sales, and flea markets are everywhere.....
Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Thoroughly enjoyed it and so did my wife. Better than I expected. A few nice twists. I won’t give away any spoilers. Just go see it. Oh, and it comes and goes quickly but try to catch the name of the boat. That’s all I can say about that.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Just saw the film. A real treat. The guitar was a CEO-7 I’m pretty sure. Sounded good in the film.

BTW, his professional manager is a riot.

Rb
Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 AM

Ozark wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I doubt though on a young school teachers salary she could afford the Martin guitar gifted to her friend. Himesh Patel has a wonderful singing voice and is a very likable guy.
You know, Ozark, this might come as a bit of a surprise to you, but this isn’t necessarily a strictly realistic movie - I mean, there might actually be some fantasy elements to it!

But, yeah, the Good Lord only knows what a Martin 000-17 costs in the UK, but I’m pretty certain that it’s more than the US, and the price over here is more than even the most dedicated group of friends would be liable to raise amongst themselves.

Maybe them buying that (very nice) Martin instead of a Yamaha guitar-in-a-box from Costco is one of the fantasy elements I alluded to earlier....

Wade Hampton “You Reckon?” Miller
Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like a fun movie. I virtually always wait for movies to come out on streaming video or Blu-ray before seeing them and this will be no exception. But I'll keep an eye out for it when it does. Actually, I think I did see the trailer at some point and it looked interesting. And the music should be good.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

To Wade’s original point. I did notice that the guitar appeared at one point to have mahogany sides and at another rosewood. So it does seem there could have been different guitars in use.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
His original guitar gets destroyed when the bus hits him, so when he gets out of the hospital his friends give him a very nice guitar indeed: it appears to be a Martin 000-17 in the Whiskey Sunset finish. Later on in the movie, though, he appears to have switched to a Martin CEO-7, maybe? Whichever model it is it’s got rosewood back and sides and a high gloss finish instead of the matte finish on the first Martin.
The Martin he plays is indeed a CEO-7, but it's mahogany, not rosewood. I didn't see a 000-17 WS at all.

Been wanting to see it since I first saw the trailer, but I was a bit skeptical as to how they were going to handle the "alternate universe thing" smoothly and realistically without resorting to the cliche 'waking up from a coma' at the end. But they pulled it off very well with the references to Coca Cola, Harry Potter, and cigarettes. The Russian man (who looked amazingly like a very tall Joe Cocker) and the British woman in the graveyard tied it all together and that's when you knew this was really happening. Very cleverly done.

It was a packed theater last nite and the movie audience stayed through the credits and sang along to 'Hey Jude'.

Really fun movie.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Agree that there wasn’t a 000-17 in the movie. When he first opened the gift, it was a full gloss guitar.

Ahem...at least that’s what my wife noticed.....

Roger
Old 06-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This afternoon I caught a matinee showing of the new movie “Yesterday.” If you’re not familiar with the premise, there’s a struggling musician named “Jack Malik” who gets hit by a bus at the exact moment that there’s a worldwide power outage that lasts twelve seconds. When he comes to, he’s seemingly the only person in the world who remembers either the Beatles or their songs.

His original guitar gets destroyed when the bus hits him, so when he gets out of the hospital his friends give him a very nice guitar indeed: it appears to be a Martin 000-17 in the Whiskey Sunset finish. Later on in the movie, though, he appears to have switched to a Martin CEO-7, maybe? Whichever model it is it’s got rosewood back and sides and a high gloss finish instead of the matte finish on the first Martin.

Ed Sheeran has a major role in the movie, and in one scene in a Moscow nightclub where the two of them are having a songwriting contest Sheeran plays one of his new Lowden signature model guitars. It’s definitely a small body instrument, but Sheeran likes those, and more power to him.

The other guitar that the lead character plays is a black tele. I never got a good enough look at the headstock to be able to verify that it was a Fender, but I assume it is.

It’s a fun little movie, and Himesh Patel, who plays Jack, has a good strong tenor voice and does justice to the songs. There’s one great funny scene where Jack, who’s decided that he’s going to try to pass off the Beatles’ songs as his own, tries to get his parents to listen to “Let It Be.” Endless interruptions ensue, and many of us who’ve tried to get our parents to take our music seriously might identify, and perhaps experience a bit of deja vu....

I don’t want to oversell “Yesterday” as a towering cinematic classic, but it’s fun, and I think most people who enjoyed the Beatles’ music will enjoy the film.

Wade Hampton Miller
Agree Wade, it was a fun film and well done... would like to see it a second time so I can catch things i may missed the first time around, i'll wait till it is streaming
Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Old 06-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I saw "Yesterday" yesterday and I thought it was pretty good.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
By the way, if you haven't seen Echo In the Canyon yet, it was very good.
Saw this today. Not bad, but too much of Jakob and his "all star band" and not enough of the story, IMO. Stories were great, just not enough of them. Too bad they didn't get Neil to talk, or to chart all the bands that grow out of the nuclei.

My advice: wait until it is on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Agree that there wasn’t a 000-17 in the movie. When he first opened the gift, it was a full gloss guitar.

Ahem...at least that’s what my wife noticed.....

Roger
Well, I will see the film again, perhaps as soon as it goes to the second run houses. I'll double check then.

But I don't think I'm imagining things....

whm
Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I'd just like to add that I find it refreshing that an actor of South Asian descent was chosen to be the lead.
Your take away is that the Director chose the actor to make a political statement? Sheesh, how about Himesh does a great job singing and acting and leave it at that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion