The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM

Default "Wood" this be a mistake?

I'd like to experiment with narrower nut spacing on my 1 3/4 Taylor by using a nut cut for 1 11/16 spacing, THEN slide that nut a bit to the treble side to mimic a narrower neck (no, I don't thumb wrap, so that excess space on side wouldn't matter to me).

Question - would biasing the tension to the treble side in this way be likely to have any torsional impact that might twist or bend the neck in a way that might cause regret?
Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Not at all, you'll be fine.
People have changed their nut widths in many ways, and the difference in force distribution is too minimal to have an impact.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM

No it would not be a problem but a guitar tech could cut you a proper nut that would fit the entire slot and still do what you want it to do.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
No it would not be a problem but a guitar tech could cut you a proper nut that would fit the entire slot and still do what you want it to do.
And that's exactly what I'm going to do today. Thanks

Don't get me wrong - I can fit a pre-slotted Tusc nut with the best of them, but it would look horrible and the strings would be sticky - nothing like a nice polished glidey bone nut done right - it's like getting a new pair of shoes.

It occurs to me that the neck profile would remain that of a 1 3/4 neck, with the thickest part of the Taylor shallowish "C" still technically in the middle of the neck, while the string bias is now toward the treble. While that would not be the way a true 1 11/16 neck would feel, I'm telling myself the "new" arrangement mimics an asymmetrical profile that is thinner on the treble side, while thicker on the bass.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Not at all, you'll be fine.
People have changed their nut widths in many ways, and the difference in force distribution is too minimal to have an impact.
And that is good to know - thanks.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Update:

Luthier returned the Taylor w/new nut yesterday. 1 11/16 spacing biased to the treble side, just like I asked. I love it for the stuff I'm playing now and if I need more space later, I've got that (and the old nut). The 2 3/16 saddle string spacing doesn't seem at all affected.

I've got a Recording King I might do this to - it's got a "just shy of 1 13/16" nut, but its saddle spacing is between 2 1/4 and 2 5/16, so I might notice weirdness on that one, if I go that route.

I'd recommend this mod to anyone with a "feels too wide" nut who wants to experiment with a narrower setting. A lot cheaper than swapping guitars that you otherwise like just fine (with Taylor, it'd be a BTO = $$, AND no resale value), plus it's reversible if/when your needs change. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the update, and glad it worked out for you. I was going to suggest spending some quality time with a Taylor 100 or 200 series guitar, which has the same profile but a 1-11/16" nut width.

Your solution is akin to my Alaskan buddies who have a shorter summer saddle for higher humidity when the top swells a bit, and a taller one for dry winters when the top sinks a bit. Otherwise they are chasing the best setup twice a year, even with good humidity control for the guitar.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Thanks for the update, and glad it worked out for you. I was going to suggest spending some quality time with a Taylor 100 or 200 series guitar, which has the same profile but a 1-11/16" nut width.

Your solution is akin to my Alaskan buddies who have a shorter summer saddle for higher humidity when the top swells a bit, and a taller one for dry winters when the top sinks a bit. Otherwise they are chasing the best setup twice a year, even with good humidity control for the guitar.
I like the GC size Taylor (er, I have 3, so I'd better), and I was considering the Academy 12 to keep that size and try the narrower nut on the Taylor neck profile. It would have worked fine, BUT . . . .

I'm embarrassed to say how many guitars I already have (which is how you know you have too many), and the wife suddenly developed a visible throbbing vein/artery in her forehead when I mentioned getting one "just to try it." I backed down when I saw that scary vein/artery and thought more about modding the nut. In her defense, I was out of space several guitars ago.

I'd go try one at a store, but it's inconvenient enough that I know I'd walk out with a new Academy 12 just to get away from the other shoppers and spend some quality time with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair