The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Any Lowden F or O style has bass and warmth, its just a matter of acclimating your playing style to get the most of it out of the guitar and/or finding the right strings for it..I've had an f-25 and an f-32c and both were incredible for strumming and finger style alike but I really had to play them differently then my Larrivees and Beneteau to get the sound I liked out of them...and although Lowden recommends elixirs for his guitars, I couldn't stand em on either of those f-bodies I had...they both loved D'Addario ej's and their nickel bronze strings.

If you sit with a Martin for a few minutes then pick up a Lowden you might say the Lowden doesn't appear to have a ton of bass but the truth is most Lowden's are more balanced - tonally speaking - than any Martin or Gibson.

Now I wish I had a Lowden again :'(

Haha!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
Yes, I've played several different Lowdens over the years. And the tone I've consistently heard has always surprised me given the relatively large size of the guitars. They're certainly loud, which is great, but what some folks praise as clarity and evenness has left me wanting a bit more boom and richness.

This is not a right/wrong issue, it's just a taste issue. I'm just wondering if there are models out there that might be a bit lusher sounding.
In my searchings for a tone that is lush, and that's pretty much what I'm in the market for right now, (hint, hint, for any folks out there looking to part with their Lowden's.) I start with the F or O series in the 25. I'm also really fond of the Richard Thompson model which is Ziricote on the back and Cedar in the front. To my ears the cedar has an incredibly warm tone. I have a harp guitar that's Rosewood back and Alaska Bearclaw Spruce on the front. It seems much crisper than the Lowden Cedar topped offerings, which I tend to say is the Spruce. There again, as you say its a taste thing. The guitar I'm looking for I want to have a different voice than my harp guitar.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The O-32 is Sitka Spruce/EIR. It's the O25 that's Cedar/EIR.

I've played and heard a lot of Lowdens over the years, and I don't think I've ever heard a Lowden with 'creamy warmth' - strident, crystal-clear, ringing sustain is the Lowden sound. My O-25 has nothing like the warmth and depth of tone of any of my Martins - a completely different, 'un-American-sounding' tone. They are great-sounding guitars, but the tone is Marmite - you either love it or hate it in my experience.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Never having the pleasure of playing a Lowden, I too have long wondered how I would like the sound. I believe I would, but a life time diet of Dread's, O's, OM's, etc has trained my ears for a particular sound/tone/depth.

Your description nailed it beautifully. Can't wait till I try one.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM

I have been smitten by Lowdens since the first video I saw of them. There is something about the mystique of guitar building in Northern Ireland that drew me in. The only Lowden I have played that I didn't like-- at all, really-- was the Wee Lowden in Cedar/EIR. However, the first Lowden that I owned, which was too big for my preference, was a F35 in Redwood and Koa, and it was angelic. My current Lowden is a S35 Redwood/Tasmanian Blackwood and the tonewood combo is awesome. The blackwood brings some volume to complement the redwood's warmth.

I'm a huge fan but know they are not for everybody.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM

I have been mostly a Martin player for many years (D35), and bought a Lowden O 10 (1993-cedar/hog). I tried to love it, but never bonded with the sound, especially for strumming (I'm a fingerpicker and strummer). Ended up selling it, and later found out that I prefer Fylde guitars from England for the "European" sound. How a guitar sounds, is highly subjective, so this is just my take, of course.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:22 PM

Here is the Master playing the Old Lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23L99oBt_Q

BluesKing777.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Here is the Master playing the Old Lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23L99oBt_Q

BluesKing777.

Great composing. Great playing. Great tone. Great everything.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I've played several different Lowdens over the years. And the tone I've consistently heard has always surprised me given the relatively large size of the guitars. They're certainly loud, which is great, but what some folks praise as clarity and evenness has left me wanting a bit more boom and richness.

This is not a right/wrong issue, it's just a taste issue. I'm just wondering if there are models out there that might be a bit lusher sounding.
Looking at your signature list of guitars, the Lowden sound [I]ought[I] to be similar to your Goodall - lush, over-toney and thick.

Having said that, I recently played a few newer Lowdens that sounded just as you described - I was caught off guard by how thin and crisp they sounded, not at all like what I expect from a Lowden. Of course, there are so many factors that may have affected that - the store/room/my mood, but I've been a Lowden fan for 20+ years and currently play a Mcilroy which is similar and the "Lowden Sound" has always struck me as full, rich, overtones galore and warm. I'd recommend trying an older one, or trying some at a different store and see if you get a different reaction.

Good luck on your search!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

Who's right? Well we all are, of course - we all have our own ears and our own personal perceptions. Beauty is in the ear of the behearer, I guess!

On the electric side, I tend to favor Strats and Teles. That does not mean there's something particularly wrong with a Les Paul or 335.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-29-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Looking at your signature list of guitars, the Lowden sound [I]ought[I] to be similar to your Goodall - lush, over-toney and thick.

Having said that, I recently played a few newer Lowdens that sounded just as you described - I was caught off guard by how thin and crisp they sounded, not at all like what I expect from a Lowden. Of course, there are so many factors that may have affected that - the store/room/my mood, but I've been a Lowden fan for 20+ years and currently play a Mcilroy which is similar and the "Lowden Sound" has always struck me as full, rich, overtones galore and warm. I'd recommend trying an older one, or trying some at a different store and see if you get a different reaction.

Good luck on your search!
Thanks, Steve. Sounds like an older model might be the way to go.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Steve. Sounds like an older model might be the way to go.
A current 0-23 will be exactly what you're looking for I assure you!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Not trying to start an squabble here, but it's not possible to assure someone that a given guitar is what they're seeking.

I also have an O-23, and would guess that it is not what the OP is looking for.

But then neither one of us knows if we're correct or not.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Not trying to start an squabble here, but it's not possible to assure someone that a given guitar is what they're seeking.

I also have an O-23, and would guess that it is not what the OP is looking for.

But then neither one of us knows if we're correct or not.
Well, as per his description it SHOULD fill his needs......it also does not have the bad qualities of the Lowden he played.........OF COURSE there are no guarantees was just suggesting that not ONLY older models would fit his needs and desires.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Rather than rich and creamy, I find the sound to be a little bare and harsh, with very little in the way bass warmth to round out the sound. They almost sound like National Steel guitars, in their strident and somewhat metallic midrange and treble voicing.
I've played many, many Lowdens and owned 2 (both F25).
I don't recognise this description of their sound at all, irrespective of the size or model.
Just shows that one man's meat...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Rudy's Music in NY currently has both an O23 and O25, so I'm gonna check 'em out. Thanks for the reco!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion