The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Neck Set Up Information

I didn't want to high jack another post so here's my question.

How do I convey how I want my guitar set up? What information should I supply a luthier to set up a guitar for me?

I have a couple of guitars that are set up perfectly for me. Should I measure the string height at the first and twelfth frets plus the relief and use these numbers for a set up of a different guitar?

Thanks

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-01-2017, 12:06 PM

First know what you want to achieve. Tell the luthier that. I always have a full set up done: nut checked and filed/shimmed/altered as necessary to be correct. Neck adjusted for proper relief and the action lowered (usually) or raised as necessary to be where I want it. Frets leveled and polished. Take it in properly humidified so the luthier doesn't have to do that prior to set up. Since you have something you like, take it with you so you can show the luthier your preferred result. Leave and wait a week, or two, or three, depending on how booked your luthier is.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have a couple of guitars that are set up perfectly for me. Should I measure the string height at the first and twelfth frets plus the relief and use these numbers for a set up of a different guitar?
No ... just take your ideally set-up guitar into your luthier/tech and tell him you want the set-up to be exactly the same as on the guitar you brought in. You don't need to measure anything ... you are paying him to do that.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
No ... just take your ideally set-up guitar into your luthier/tech and tell him you want the set-up to be exactly the same as on the guitar you brought in.
And, there's your answer in one quick and well crafted statement.

Frank Ford
Old 09-01-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I didn't want to high jack another post so here's my question.

How do I convey how I want my guitar set up? What information should I supply a luthier to set up a guitar for me?

Thanks
Some comments I agree with above, some not so.

I agree with the take a guitar in that you are happy with and play it for the luthier so he can see how you play and take measurements for reference.

I dis-agree with having the guitar setup exactly the same as the reference guitar.

Guitars have different neck profiles, they also have different fingerboard profiles, they have different fret heights, different scale lengths, they are constructed out of different woods, necks react differently under string and truss rod tensions, the list is endless in differences between two guitars, we also have how you interact with that guitar.

One of the biggest things that happens these days with the internet, is everyone reads other peoples comments and from this, they draw their own conclusions on how its done, suddenly they are an expert offering advise to others, worse, they are putting tools on other peoples guitars. I taught a guy how to do a setup, 4 weeks later he is advertising himself as a repairer and calling himself a guitar whisperer.

Cutting to the chase, a good repairer / technician, will assess your guitar of reference, they will watch you play, they will then adjust and set the new guitar up with these two things in mind, then when you come back and test play, they will tweak things to suit your comfort, taking into consideration all the differences that exist between the two guitars. That is what a setup is, not matching two unequal things together and trying to make them the same.

Steve

PS, the following quote is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
First know what you want to achieve. Tell the luthier that. I always have a full set up done: nut checked and filed/shimmed/altered as necessary to be correct. Neck adjusted for proper relief and the action lowered (usually) or raised as necessary to be where I want it. Frets leveled and polished. Take it in properly humidified so the luthier doesn't have to do that prior to set up. Since you have something you like, take it with you so you can show the luthier your preferred result........................................
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 09-01-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:55 AM

In over forty years of setting guitars up, I have never once taken into account the species of wood from which the guitar was constructed.

Just shows, you are never too old to learn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair